Likes Likes:  14
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: World Cup Squad Announcement

Do we have world class creative players? No

Functional and hard to break down is how we should be approaching this. I hate it as a cliché but if Greece can win the European championship then we do have a slim chance. We'll need a lot of luck and we'll need to nullify the threats of the better teams who have better players. Overall, I can't argue too much with this selection, personally I'd have had Shelvey in there but overall it's what we need.
    Ricky Otto's No.1 Fan

Junior Blues Co-ordinator OldBlueLady's Avatar

I think this could be a slightly embarrassing tournament for us, the goalkeepers don't fill me with any confidence whatsover, the inclusion of Welbeck, I dislike the two players with the most flair - Dele and Sterling - and Harry Kane as captain? Not for me.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong but I see us leaving pretty promptly after the group stage.

This cook is an anti-semite Uncle Leo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OldBlueLady View Post
    I think this could be a slightly embarrassing tournament for us, the goalkeepers don't fill me with any confidence whatsover, the inclusion of Welbeck, I dislike the two players with the most flair - Dele and Sterling - and Harry Kane as captain? Not for me.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong but I see us leaving pretty promptly after the group stage.
    What don't you like about Dele and Sterling? Two fantastic talents. Plus this....

On the journey to spiritual enlightenment (via the shops)

England will get out of the group stages and if we don't I will get Old Blue Lady tattooed on my wotsit......maybe OBL (the L on a good day)
    Twitter: @RobertFox278 SIMPLICITER SE NUNQUAM DIMISIT

Manager

Quote Originally Posted by C C Csiders View Post
    England will get out of the group stages and if we don't I will get Old Blue Lady tattooed on my wotsit......maybe OBL (the L on a good day)

Never wanted England to fail so much in Group stages
    "An army of sheep led by a lion is better than an army of lions led by a sheep.”― Alexander the Great

Junior Blues Co-ordinator OldBlueLady's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Leo View Post
    What don't you like about Dele and Sterling? Two fantastic talents. Plus this....
    Their arrogance, both of them, plus I detest the constant falling over they both do, especially Dele.

Quote Originally Posted by C C Csiders View Post
    Haha, I didn't mean they'll leave at the group stage, just the round immediately after.

would liked to have maybe seen JJS,but its about the best squad he could have picked.My biggest worry is the manager himself

I'd have gone for Wilshire myself, probably over Phil Jones. People say Wilshire can't be relied on for the full 90 which might be fair but I think for 30 minutes here and there he could certainly do a job. I'm not convinced by Shelvey.
    Otherwise fine.
    From the squad I think we're going to do an awful lot of pressing. Walker is, I think, playing centre half because he's rapid and it allows us to play that might higher up with Pickford as the sweeper keeper so there's some logic

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
    Leaving out Jonjo Shelvey shows extreme shortsightedness. Probably the best passer of a ball in last season's premier league. Of course if he had been playing for a so-called "Big Six" club, he would have been a shoe-in.
    our keepers are from Burnley, Everton and Stoke. We have a Leicester centre back over a Man U one and the bloke from Chelsea just scraped in at the last moment due to lack of alternatives. Of all the things you can say about Southgate he doesn't pick players from the top 6 clubs on reputation

Quote Originally Posted by Bearded Shrimper View Post
    our keepers are from Burnley, Everton and Stoke. We have a Leicester centre back over a Man U one and the bloke from Chelsea just scraped in at the last moment due to lack of alternatives. Of all the things you can say about Southgate he doesn't pick players from the top 6 clubs on reputation
    Is the bloke from Chelsea Ruben Loftus Cheek? If so he's been on loan at Palace all season, so even he should really count as a player from outside the top 6.
    Southendkid is strong and tough and (the remainder of this signature has been deleted due to copyright issues)

Manager

Quote Originally Posted by ozzie View Post
    would liked to have maybe seen JJS,but its about the best squad he could have picked.My biggest worry is the manager himself
    In fairness Ozzie, the manager has picked a young side, and its something I and I suspect many others have wanted.
    He can do no more, I prefer the hungry kids, rather than the tried and tested 50 + caps, who thought they had a divine right to be on the plane
    First time in many years, I have high hopes of getting through and being the surprise package of the WC

I think Kane is a good choice, oozes confidence and goals and this can only inspire the team

Who can forget the forlorn figure taking a corner in the last minute, when we needed a goal

So far cannot fault Southgate, the true test starts very soon

Good luck England and hopefully at the end Sir Gareth Southgate when he defies the odds and lifts the cup

Its coming home, its coming home
    "An army of sheep led by a lion is better than an army of lions led by a sheep.”― Alexander the Great

We'll get through the group, second round maybe, but then the quarters will be either Germany or Brazil. Quarters are the furthest we could go.
    Ricky Otto's No.1 Fan

Manager

I would have no fear against either of them Ricky

You know what you are up against, teams like Sweden, Korea, Mexico are more unknown

This cook is an anti-semite Uncle Leo's Avatar

Their arrogance, both of them, plus I detest the constant falling over they both do, especially Dele.
    I don't find Sterling particularly arrogant - much of this perception seems to stem from him having the temerity to leave Liverpool for Man City and being nice to his mum.

Dele - probably yes. But he's got a bit of devil in him too. And what a player.