Likes Likes:  14
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: World Cup Squad Announcement

Default World Cup Squad Announcement

That time has finally arrived where in a couple of hours we will find out who is going and who isn’t.

It appears that Hart and Wilshere will miss out according to reports. I won’t lose any sleep over either of those two missing out. I really hope Southgate takes a gamble and takes Sessegnon.

Reports indicate the Southgate is taking a young, unexperienced squad on the whole, which in my eyes is good news. There's no real pressure on their shoulders as we're not going to win it, so they can just play their best. Much unlike the England squad post WC 98 with no Lampard/Gerrard/Rooney/Beckham to shoe into the squad when sometimes they didn't deserve it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricey View Post
    They use everyone's surname except Dele Alli. The just call him Dele

Quote Originally Posted by davewebbsbrain View Post
    I assume they’ve just gone with what they have on the back of their shirts.

This cook is an anti-semite Uncle Leo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by davewebbsbrain View Post
    He prefers to be known as Dele. 'Alli' is the surname of his birth parents but he lived with 'adoptive' parents (never formally adopted) from his teens and no longer identifies strongly with his birth surname.

As for the squad, I think Welbeck is lucky to be going. I have been a big fan of his in the past but he has done little of late. Would have liked to have seen Sancho or Lookman get a look, man. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Leo View Post
    He prefers to be known as Dele. 'Alli' is the surname of his birth parents but he lived with 'adoptive' parents (never formally adopted) from his teens and no longer identifies strongly with his birth surname.

As for the squad, I think Welbeck is lucky to be going. I have been a big fan of his in the past but he has done little of late. Would have liked to have seen Sancho or Lookman get a look, man. Sorry.
    Meh, I bet it's just because it rhymes with Pele. #bighead

Just seen that he went to the Senior School that's 5 minutes away from my house. Who knew?

Quote Originally Posted by MK Shrimper View Post

Just seen that he went to the Senior School that's 5 minutes away from my house. Who knew?
    Not you clearly

Quote Originally Posted by MK Shrimper View Post
    Not if you say Pelé properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Leo View Post

Would have taken an extra central midfielder over Welbz, as much as a love him and he's a good striker when on form.

Leaving out Jonjo Shelvey shows extreme shortsightedness. Probably the best passer of a ball in last season's premier league. Of course if he had been playing for a so-called "Big Six" club, he would have been a shoe-in.

Still we have Henderson and Dier to look forward to.....

Out at group stage again.

On the journey to spiritual enlightenment (via the shops)

No Lampard, Gerrard or Rooney. Unbelievable.
    Twitter: @RobertFox278 SIMPLICITER SE NUNQUAM DIMISIT

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
    Leaving out Jonjo Shelvey shows extreme shortsightedness. Probably the best passer of a ball in last season's premier league. Of course if he had been playing for a so-called "Big Six" club, he would have been a shoe-in.

Completely agree and there is a lack of creativity in the midfield selections, a lot of grafters. I'd be worried if we lost Dele through injury, although we do look like we can grind out 0-0 lately
    Ricky Otto's No.1 Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post

Given the versatility of some of the players in the squad - e.g. Walker can play wide right or part of a three, Dier can play in midfield or central defence, Sterling can play out wide or up top etc. - I did think there was room for one or two 'risky' selections like Shelvey or Jack 'made of glass' Wilshere.

It is all a bit functional but that is where we are right now I guess. Hopefully the current crop of successful youngsters who won trophies for us last year will be coming through in time for 2020 and 2022.

Isn't Loftus-Cheek something of a creative option in the middle?

Pleased he left out Joe Hart anyway, he's done very little to enhance his reputation since Pep bombed him out of City.