• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Not sure why they need it mid-week - highly risky to install wire-runs in such a short possession/isolation. Very risky by NR, something goes wrong and the peak rush hour is fuffed up.

Yet they will cancel any planned work if either West Ham or Spurs are at home!!

Not sure why they need it mid-week - highly risky to install wire-runs in such a short possession/isolation. Very risky by NR, something goes wrong and the peak rush hour is fuffed up.

They've already been doing it for months between Shenfield and Wickford (I think it was well before Christmas that they started and it only ended a couple of weeks ago), so they should know what to expect.

They've already been doing it for months between Shenfield and Wickford (I think it was well before Christmas that they started and it only ended a couple of weeks ago), so they should know what to expect.

Wasn't that purely at weekends? That gives you time to put things right IF something goes t*ts up. Such a short possession if dangerous and all it takes is a minor breakdown and you've screwed the morning peak and faces ££££ compensation to GA.

I'd love to say our Project Managers know what they're doing but I'd be lying.

No doubt we won't be able to get a train at weekends either. Have only been able to get the train to a game twice this season.

Is there going to be some actual benefit to all this disruption?

Wasn't that purely at weekends? That gives you time to put things right IF something goes t*ts up. Such a short possession if dangerous and all it takes is a minor breakdown and you've screwed the morning peak and faces ££££ compensation to GA.

For the few months before christmas there were evening works midweek like this. Apparently it was supposed to lead to less cancellations + delays during hot weather conditions, so of course on every hot day recently there's been delays and cancellations!

Of course they will. It's simple economics. I'm sure they would if The Rolling Stones played the Olympic Stadium.

The point I was making is surely not all West Ham and Spurs fans travel from Southend, so why make allowances for them; not sure what Rolling Stones has to do with it!!

Plenty of Southend fans use GA to get to games.

The point I was making is surely not all West Ham and Spurs fans travel from Southend, so why make allowances for them; not sure what Rolling Stones has to do with it!!

A lot of Rolling Stones fans have complained , but a spokesman for GA said “you can’t always get what you want”.

Nope, I work up in London and have had to get a bus at Shenfield anytime I've gone for a drink after work for months, it's not been fun.

To point out it's nothing to with favouritism regarding football clubs. Trust me, it's all been modelled many times.

No doubt we won't be able to get a train at weekends either. Have only been able to get the train to a game twice this season.

Is there going to be some actual benefit to all this disruption?

Anglia Overhead Line is very old (40+ years) and is fixed tension, that it doesn't respond well (at all) to temperature changes. More modern OLE has balance weights (even more modern has spring tension), so when the wires expands in hot weather it doesn't sag which could cause the pantograph to get wrapped around it and tear it down.

This was the case may to December last year and it started again around February. They make exceptions when West Ham play at home though.

Not only have they been a thorn in my *** all year by not having weekend trains to get to and from work, they now want to mess around with my home journey during the week.. disgusting service.

Not only have they been a thorn in my *** all year by not having weekend trains to get to and from work, they now want to mess around with my home journey during the week.. disgusting service.

And yet despite having around 3/5 of the trains running, the season ticket price remains the same

For the few months before christmas there were evening works midweek like this. Apparently it was supposed to lead to less cancellations + delays during hot weather conditions, so of course on every hot day recently there's been delays and cancellations!
It wasn’t just before Xmas, it’s most weeks including last week, the last train mon- wed is the 21.35

To point out it's nothing to with favouritism regarding football clubs. Trust me, it's all been modelled many times.

I'm sure it's not; Later Anglia are totally inept towards everyone.

Last edited:
I'm sure it's not; Later Anglia are totally inept towards everyone.

Mick, the wheels grind VERY slowly within NR (insert joke here) and timetable changes are planned months if not years in advance. Simply put, the income that GA get from West Ham/Tottenham fans living in and around Southend dwarfs anything we can generate.

When I do get the train down the trains are never full - when I came down for the Blackpool game and drove through Shenfield, the station was emptying with 1000s of Spammers.

Back