• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Smiths dilemma

The man with the sh*t in his mouth

• Yes. Listen away, Marr & co after all.

Votes: 16 88.9%
  • No. He's a knobber and loves Hitler.

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • I'd rather listen to DJ Otzi.

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters

MK Shrimper

Striker
Now if you're a proper music lover, then The Smiths are quite frankly, one of the greatest bands IN THE WORLD. However, Morrissey has turned (always was?) a massive purple bell-end and I have avoided listening to them because of this huge purple bell-ended ness.

So my question to you (well the centralist and left leaning members) is can we still listen to ONE OF THE GREATEST BANDS IN THE WORLD or are they now consigned to the same bin as Gary Glitter?

This is an easy one.

Keep listening.

Remember - it's so easy to laugh, it's so easy to hate, it takes guts to be gentle and kind. Be gentle and kind to all that wonderful music.

Now if you're a proper music lover, then The Smiths are quite frankly, one of the greatest bands IN THE WORLD. However, Morrissey has turned (always was?) a massive purple bell-end and I have avoided listening to them because of this huge purple bell-ended ness.

So my question to you (well the centralist and left leaning members) is can we still listen to ONE OF THE GREATEST BANDS IN THE WORLD or are they now consigned to the same bin as Gary Glitter?

When was Morrissey convicted of being a paedophile ?

I’ll be honest I’ve struggled to enjoy The Smiths since Morrisey turned into a grade A pollock. It’s hard to separate the art from the artist, at least for me.

I’ll be honest I’ve struggled to enjoy The Smiths since Morrisey turned into a grade A pollock. It’s hard to separate the art from the artist, at least for me.

He's always been a bit of a pantomime dame, now he's a card carrying racist.

Personally,I'm really glad that my younger brother turned me on to listening to the Smiths.They were also a great live act back in the day, (saw them here on the Meat is Murder tour,(when Morrisey unwisely took on a young,mostly Catalan audience "We've seen your national sport and we don't like it"; presumably unaware that bullfighing has never been popular in Barna.Not with most Catalans, anyway.).Don't like Morrisey's public personna at all or his often, asinine political pronuncenments,which is precisely why I've never bothered to attend one of his frequent solo gigs here.Doesn't stop me from digging out some Smiths music when I'm in the mood though.

It's not like The Smiths' songs preach the nonsense Morrissey believes so I don't have any problem listening to them.

See, now I still listen to the Glitter Band but just not the big freak. Wouldn't it be the same with this, even if Morrissey's "crime" is not on the same wavelength?

See, now I still listen to the Glitter Band but just not the big freak. Wouldn't it be the same with this, even if Morrissey's "crime" is not on the same wavelength?
How can I listern to the old Rollin Stones hits with Bill Wyman playing on .

Didn't care for them much at the time. In fact, I used to rip the pee out of a mate for loving them. Looking back, I was the fool.

I love them now and I don't care what a jackass Morrissey is being, the music is great.

Just listened to Johnny Marr's new track and it's reminiscent of 'There is a light that never goes out'. Really good track

So hating the royal family, Thatcher and Trump. Or Bludgeoning poor sweetness in her bed is fine. Be anti EU or claim Merkel is a fool and your suddenly in Gary's Gang

I'm sure the attention seeking Morrissey would see the hypocrisy as we discuss his morals on devices made by child slave labour in the far east. With the metal sourced from mines that 18th century slave owners would have been shamed to operate.

Much like I couldn't care less if Nile Ranger played for us, I listen to a lot of bands/singers with dubious morals.

Spotify are trying this now with deplaylisting some artists. Reminds me of the PMRC back in the 80s and Tipper Gore.

Much like I couldn't care less if Nile Ranger played for us, I listen to a lot of bands/singers with dubious morals.

Spotify are trying this now with deplaylisting some artists. Reminds me of the PMRC back in the 80s and Tipper Gore.

Didn't work though. Kids made a beeline for those albums with the stickers on, much like Channel 4 and their red triangle.

My advice would be to show Morrisey who's boss by holding a street party to celebrate the up and coming Royal wedding.

I don’t see a problem personally, thought he was great in Men Behaving Badly.

Thing is....

Morrissey is, and always has been, a complete knob. The longer I live, the more I come to realise this. I can sympathise with the anti royal sentiment of the mid 1980s and could see his position re meat (usually being contemplated whilst scoffing kebab) and I certainly flung myself around my bedroom in some teenage angst. But there were always things that made you scratch your head and wonder why. But it was Morrissey, so it was ok.

However, the older I get, the more I recognise that he has become the embarrassing elder relative that you keep needing to apologise for when he makes racist utterances. You'd have thought that at his advanced age he wouldn't need to keep stamping his feet and shouting "look at me, everyone. Look at me!!!"

The irony is, Morrissey has in fact turned into the Prince Phillip.

Do I still listen to The Smiths? Yes. Possibly the best band of my lifetime. But he doesn't make it easy. And pretty much everything he has produced since You Are the Quarry hasn't been worth listening to, frmo what I've heard of his last album, he should probably be put in a home now.

Some needs to tell him that the joke isn't funny anymore

Back