• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Smiths dilemma

The man with the sh*t in his mouth

• Yes. Listen away, Marr & co after all.

Votes: 16 88.9%
  • No. He's a knobber and loves Hitler.

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • I'd rather listen to DJ Otzi.

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters
Is it bad that I couldn’t name a single Smiths song? I looked them up and recognise a couple. Best band in the world ever? Absolutely not, but that’s just my opinion and they’re just not my cup of tea.

*Puts headphones back on and returns listening to Billy Ocean*

You can love both you know. :facepalm:

No one, and I mean no band ever, or will ever sound like The Smiths. They are utterly unique, quintessentially English and utterly fantastic.

Before he became a poppy soul singer, he worked at Ford's in Dagenham.
He also sang backing vocals on my favourite Scott Walker album, so even if he hadn't released a string of classic pop singles I'd still give him props just for that.

Ha! Who's Billy Ocean? :unsure:

Please tell me you’re on a wind up. I chose someone that I thought people would know.

Before he became a poppy soul singer, he worked at Ford's in Dagenham.

May I remind you of 'Red Light Spells Danger' and 'When The Going Gets Tough' ... he had a few other hits but they've slipped my mind temporarily.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Ocean

And of course, 'Love Really Hurts Without You' ... and yes, probably stretching it a bit to include 'soul' in the previous description.

While I've heard of him,I can honestly say I've never heard his music before.Though I did listen to (about 10 seconds of) that video you posted yesterday.Thanks, Ricey.So a black Billy Joel then? :winking: Certainly not a soul singer.

While I've heard of him,I can honestly say I've never heard his music before.Though I did listen to (about 10 seconds of) that video you posted yesterday.Thanks, Ricey.So a black Billy Joel then? :winking: Certainly not a soul singer.

No doubt if he released an album about how his woman left him and how his dog died you'd be all over it. :whistling:

You sound like a modern music mogul. Black should be black and white should be white.

Its one of the great crimes in the art world. Music helped break down barriers and unite people. Starting in the 50's then on into the 60's and 70's. Now of course its more controlled than ever and we are back with people in the correct pigeon hole.

You sound like a modern music mogul. Black should be black and white should be white.

Its one of the great crimes in the art world. Music helped break down barriers and unite people. Starting in the 50's then on into the 60's and 70's. Now of course its more controlled than ever and we are back with people in the correct pigeon hole.

Hey.I also like country and western music too.That's one thing I could always agree with Rusty on.Remember a black musician in some book I was reading, describing C and W as "White people's blues".That sounds about right to me.:smile:

And yet on a Donald Trump post you made No 757, you wrote

"You should check out a independent journalist called Abby Martin. Very smart, honest and attractive women."

Why could not you put an Independent journalist, rather than say she is smart, honest and Attractive, that seems to be so condescending, did you employ firemen/women only on that score

I'm sure you will turn it around, I am a left winger to suit your style

UTS

And yet on a Donald Trump post you made No 757, you wrote

"You should check out a independent journalist called Abby Martin. Very smart, honest and attractive women."

Why could not you put an Independent journalist, rather than say she is smart, honest and Attractive, that seems to be so condescending, did you employ firemen/women only on that score

I'm sure you will turn it around, I am a left winger to suit your style

UTS

There is no such thing, they are called Firefighters. I guess you need to update your little PC book.

I described her to *** because he has mentioned on here whether he is attracted or not to certain woman in politics.

In the meantime why don't you look at what Abby Martin has to say about the world and comment on that. Rather than some lame attempt to troll me about sexism.

Guys, please stop. This thread is about Morrissey/The Smiths.

No need to discuss anything related to Donald Trump, firefighters, or Abby Martin.

Thanks.

always been a big fan of the smith's - pretty much have all their stuff.
won't be stopping listening (when the mood takes me) anytime soon.
oh, and their not the best band in the world.
why bother making this a confrontational post in the first place MK?
I'm not left leaning, am I allowed a opinion?

Jesus, why so serious? Lighten up ffs. This site is getting boring if every post & poster is defined by their politics.

Morrissey is a great lyricist. The Smiths were mostly fab.

A slight dilemma when his lyrics echo some of the more intolerant and divisive stances he chooses to share with the media.

Not so much of a dilemma when it's hard to even bother listening what he's up to these days.

But no dilemma when listening to the golden era from '83-'86 inclusive.

He was fantastic then - as was Johnny Marr.

I remember Tajinder Singh of Cornershop calling him a racist, an my ex (a Sikh) hated him. I, of course, defended him. Wrongly obviously. Still not listened to him or them since I originally posted this topic - just seems.....wrong.

Back