• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Don't walk away Rene

• Total voters
That's probably what the Wycombe fans thought, when only 15 seconds away from Promotion, before the penalties!. Still, that's life for you.
2 years earlier, similar scenario v Orient in LDV ( or what-ever ), when we scored just before the end, to secure our 1st visit to Wembley.
Then back in 2006, albeit promotion wasn't the reward for winning, we lost to Defoe's last min extra time goal in Quarter Final of League Cup at WHL.

Was that the offside goal at WHL ?

For every game and especially the last game of the season, I will always wait to applaud all the players and staff off at the end for their efforts.

That last minute goal was absolutely mental. What a wonderful memory.

Luckily Cricko's wheelchair got a puncture or we'd have a 1 on the poll.

He and McNasty were sitting in front of me when the goal went in. By the time everything had calmed down, I was several rows in front of them, with my eldest, who was in a completely different block when the goal went in! (he was in the process of leaving at the time. Lol).

It was a difficult time for me I was in between the second and third operations on my back and was unable to go but watched it at home. I wouldn't have left early as I am an eternal optimist and always believe we can pull it back late in the game like I thought we might at Doncaster in the play-offs.

Brilliant atmosphere second half even though we were getting tonked. But that was a long old depressing journey home late at night :sad:

If we was 2-0 down heading into injury time then I could understand being annoyed and wanting to get ahead of the masses, but when the game was still just a single goal from continuing then that just doesn't make sense to me.

My friend came over from Cyprus for the match but left in frustration a few minutes before the end, as mentioned by Ricey my friend also was denied re-entry and therefore missed what was the greatest finale to a match and season I have ever been privileged to witness

Agree completely with the above. Go all that way, spend all that money, and then try and get ahead of the rest by leaving a few minutes early!

Always stay to the bitter end, never forget Newport County and never forget Pigotts goal with just 22 seconds left of stoppage time at the end of extra time.:happy:

The rest...well, we all know what happened next:winking:

It's my day off now, so I can bore everyone by wittering on at more length.

This game got me back into football. I'd been falling out of love with it. It had been a few years since I'd been to a Southend game. I'd pretty much stopped watching games on the telly. I'd occasionally watch the repeat of Match of the Day on Sunday morning if it was on and I was having a Sunday morning cuppa. But I'd stopped seeking football out to watch.

Despite that, I still kept an eye on Southend's results and how they were doing. They're still my team. It was more or less on a whim that I bought a ticket. It's be a good day out and there aren't many chances to see Southend play at Wembley.

The journey to and from the game was fun. I live in London. Something I've always liked about going to football games is how you start off on your own and as you get closer to the game, you start seeing more and more fans. At first just one or two Shrimpers, then a trickle, then a flood. It builds the anticipation and the sense of being part of a community in a really quite lovely way.

We did have one quite surreal moment on the way, when a bunch of Shrimpers were sharing a tube train with people in costumes on their way to a comics convention - so one side of the carriage was all football colours, and one the other were Spider-Man, and Harley Quinn and the Joker.

The game itself? It was everything I'd forgotten I loved about football. Yeah, sitting on your sofa at home and watching with a nice cuppa or a beer is good. But being out in whatever the weather is, having the buzz and the emotion of the crowd all around you, yelling your team where they can actually hear you?

It's brilliant, isn't it? Especially when they get THAT goal and everyone goes wild with relief and ecstasy. Moments like that and Turner's winner against Scunthorpe are what make every dull 0-0, every cancelled train, every minute spent in the cold waiting for a game to start, every penny worth it.

And THAT goal. The eternity it seemed to take for the ball to actually go in. That moment of stunned disbelief when thousands of us can't quite believe it really just happened and that it's not all over. Much hugging, incoherent screaming, the biggest "YES!" I ever heard.

Hell yeah, I cried. Partly because of the relief and joy. Partly because I missed my Dad so much that day. It had been more than 10 years since he died but I'm a Southend fan because he took me to games when I was a kid. He would have been there. And I know him, he would have been grumbling away that we should leave and beat the rush. But he would have been too obstinate to because he paid to see the whole game. I get that habit from him.

The journey home was fantastic. Cloud 9. And like the opposite of going to the game. Every station, every change of train saw a few more people go their own way. Until on the final part of the journey home, there were no more Shrimpers. Just me replaying THAT goal over and over in my head.

There was one Wycombe fan sitting opposite me on that last train all the way to the station where I live, at the end of the line. He must have been cursing inside that he couldn't get away from Southend. We gave each other a "football, eh?" look and I gave him a pat on the shoulder when we were leaving the train. Poor devil, he must have felt as bad as I felt good.

I've been a season ticket holder again for the last three seasons. Like I say, it made me fall in love with football again. I still find I have a little sniffle just before the first game of each season. It gets me right in the heart. Seeing more and more Shrimpers on the way to the game. The walk up from the station. The first sight of Roots Hall. The excitement building that maybe it will be this season. The first outbreak of singing. Catching up with the people who sit next to you. That moment when you catch sight of the team for the first time.

I love it. I fell back in love with it that day, long before THAT goal went in.

Plenty of people stayed!!!

forward to 55 seconds..... then enjoy!

https://youtu.be/q8uRnZLcM48

Last minute last minute! Then the guy in the leather jacket bottom right of screen when we equalise screaming “noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo” :smile:

Pig draws his boot backwards for the shot and the sudden hush from the Southend fans, a hush of thousands holding their breath. A hush of too many years of rubbish bottom division football, of nearly going out of business, of pain and suffering, of being a goal down in extra time and that hush that was about to draw its final breath on yet another season in L2. Then came the noise. You didnt care what you screamed, you just did, then screamed again. The second scream was the disbelief.
After the final whistle, no way were we going to lose out on pens, the Southend fans felt United and on top of the world, invincible. And the players felt that and it was to be.
When the save from Daniel confirmed us in L1, i thought of dad, he'd have bloody love it. Dad was a Spurs fan but couldnt afford the journey to Tottenham to take me back then in the 70s, so the Blues it was in 1976. I had my young teen son with me, so we were passing the Shrinper genes on with him. We walked down Wembley Way, on air, and he turned to me and said dad, thats my best day ever.
Walk out before the end? You gotta be kidding, any Southend fan knows we never do anything straight forward.

It's my day off now, so I can bore everyone by wittering on at more length.

This game got me back into football. I'd been falling out of love with it. It had been a few years since I'd been to a Southend game. I'd pretty much stopped watching games on the telly. I'd occasionally watch the repeat of Match of the Day on Sunday morning if it was on and I was having a Sunday morning cuppa. But I'd stopped seeking football out to watch.

Despite that, I still kept an eye on Southend's results and how they were doing. They're still my team. It was more or less on a whim that I bought a ticket. It's be a good day out and there aren't many chances to see Southend play at Wembley.

The journey to and from the game was fun. I live in London. Something I've always liked about going to football games is how you start off on your own and as you get closer to the game, you start seeing more and more fans. At first just one or two Shrimpers, then a trickle, then a flood. It builds the anticipation and the sense of being part of a community in a really quite lovely way.

We did have one quite surreal moment on the way, when a bunch of Shrimpers were sharing a tube train with people in costumes on their way to a comics convention - so one side of the carriage was all football colours, and one the other were Spider-Man, and Harley Quinn and the Joker.

The game itself? It was everything I'd forgotten I loved about football. Yeah, sitting on your sofa at home and watching with a nice cuppa or a beer is good. But being out in whatever the weather is, having the buzz and the emotion of the crowd all around you, yelling your team where they can actually hear you?

It's brilliant, isn't it? Especially when they get THAT goal and everyone goes wild with relief and ecstasy. Moments like that and Turner's winner against Scunthorpe are what make every dull 0-0, every cancelled train, every minute spent in the cold waiting for a game to start, every penny worth it.

And THAT goal. The eternity it seemed to take for the ball to actually go in. That moment of stunned disbelief when thousands of us can't quite believe it really just happened and that it's not all over. Much hugging, incoherent screaming, the biggest "YES!" I ever heard.

Hell yeah, I cried. Partly because of the relief and joy. Partly because I missed my Dad so much that day. It had been more than 10 years since he died but I'm a Southend fan because he took me to games when I was a kid. He would have been there. And I know him, he would have been grumbling away that we should leave and beat the rush. But he would have been too obstinate to because he paid to see the whole game. I get that habit from him.

The journey home was fantastic. Cloud 9. And like the opposite of going to the game. Every station, every change of train saw a few more people go their own way. Until on the final part of the journey home, there were no more Shrimpers. Just me replaying THAT goal over and over in my head.

There was one Wycombe fan sitting opposite me on that last train all the way to the station where I live, at the end of the line. He must have been cursing inside that he couldn't get away from Southend. We gave each other a "football, eh?" look and I gave him a pat on the shoulder when we were leaving the train. Poor devil, he must have felt as bad as I felt good.

I've been a season ticket holder again for the last three seasons. Like I say, it made me fall in love with football again. I still find I have a little sniffle just before the first game of each season. It gets me right in the heart. Seeing more and more Shrimpers on the way to the game. The walk up from the station. The first sight of Roots Hall. The excitement building that maybe it will be this season. The first outbreak of singing. Catching up with the people who sit next to you. That moment when you catch sight of the team for the first time.

I love it. I fell back in love with it that day, long before THAT goal went in.
Brilliant post and summed up everything I felt - and I guess plenty of others did - at the time. The ball trickling over the line was totally surreal and it took two or three seconds to take in what had just happened. Then several 'WTFs', bouncing around like a lunatic, head shaking. I was hyper, to the extent that I only properly came down to Earth at the sudden death stage of the penalties. Especially as I was desperate for a pee.

The journey back was amazing as well. At Liverpool Street chanting the 'Everywhere we go...' song with many others. Ideally it would have been great to take the train all the way to Southend but had to settle for the first stop as I'd tortured my other half enough and she wanted to catch up with Eurovision.

Interesting that you mentioned the Turner goal as the reaction was similar. I'd settled for 2-2 at that stage as Scunny had nearly pinched a winner just prior to our goal. Also a tremendous moment and I mumbled the White Stripes as I headed back to Westcliff station with a big grin.

I've never left a match early, just don't understood it. Of course there are those oddballs who leave early to "avoid the traffic". Surely can't be in that much of a hurry.

Me and my 2 boys had almost given up hope and were already talking about having to do the same Northern away days again the next season :(

it was about 2-3 minutes before the goal that Joe made a hash of a header and sent it well wide. Really thought that was the last realistic chance...Joe was dead in front of us (we were front row) and as he was thinking about the miss, he looked into the crowd...i’m assure he saw me and he didn’t need to be an expert lip reader to understand “What the **** Joe!!!”...I will always be convinced that he helped him in those final moments :)

the goal itself was a geometrical work of art...till this day that ball was hit so perfectly, that some how with the goalkeeper and numerous defenders diving and sliding to block, it still went in. Half an inch either way and it would have been blocked.

in the run in to the final, we were pushing for the auto’s and there was a very late winner for Timlin away at Exeter. The “scenes” were a little more scaled down...but it made it well worth the long trip down there

there is nothing in the world that matches the buzz of an important late late goal being scored for you team

I've never left a match early, just don't understood it. Of course there are those oddballs who leave early to "avoid the traffic". Surely can't be in that much of a hurry.

Ive left one game early. Took my brother to the match against Millwall around Christmas/ New Year.

Me to my brother “We May not always play pretty but the one thing I like about us under Phil Brown is that we don’t roll over and give up.”

Lost 4-0. I left with 10 minutes to go.

Yes, it would be like pulling out of Kylie Minogue early to save making a mess.

Back