• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Don't walk away Rene

• Total voters
I doubt you'll find many of them on here, most of the people that walked out early probably wouldn't even be able to name 5 of our players, you're not going to walk out of a playoff final at only 1-0 down if you have an actual attachment to the club unless there's a real emergency.

If I've paid for a football match, I'm damned if I'm leaving before the final whistle. I want my full money's worth!

So I was there to the sweet end for this one. And after the equaliser went in I was crying and hugging a total stranger. Who was also crying. Not because of the hugs. They were good hugs.

Damn good hugs.

If I've paid for a football match, I'm damned if I'm leaving before the final whistle. I want my full money's worth!

So I was there to the sweet end for this one. And after the equaliser went in I was crying and hugging a total stranger. Who was also crying. Not because of the hugs. They were good hugs.

Damn good hugs.

You're welcome soldier. :smile:

Never understood why anyone would leave before the end of any match, let alone a Wembley Final!

I was stood, hands in pocket, head slumped, waiting for the final whistle, but determined to clap the players off, because by Christ they had tried! When all of a sudden the pig slotted home ....cue chaos and me unable to get my hands free to break my fall as I was jumped upon by friends family and complete strangers, completely missing the celebrations!

These moments are rare in football and should be savoured.

I had a bloke from work and his 9 (If I remember rightly) year old boy sitting next to me, he left before the end if he had been on his own i'm pretty sure he would have stayed but he wanted to avoid the crowds and make a quick getaway, its fair to say he regretted that decision he did get back in to the ground for the penalty shoot-out though.

I was sat head in hands severely ****ed off at how cruel the playoffs can be. I was thinking about how ridiculous it is that your whole season can come down to one single game. How Barry Corr’s perfectly good goal was ruled out and how Joe Jacobson had scored when he should’ve been sent off earlier in the game.

But if you’re a true fan, you sit through all the poor performances and hard times and there was no way I was gonna leave early.

I’d gone to the game for free coz a fellow Shrimper got hold of some corporate tickets but the downside was we had to sit in a neutral area and couldn’t wear colours. On the way to our seats, walking through the concourse we saw an open door to the Southend end and a few of us snuck in and took some spare seats towards the back. Sat a few rows in front of me was Kevin Maher.

When Pigott smashed in the equaliser I got a bit carried away and dived on Maher. It’s great celebrating one of those moments with a random fan, but even better with a legend of your club.

I was sat head in hands severely ****ed off at how cruel the playoffs can be.

That's probably what the Wycombe fans thought, when only 15 seconds away from Promotion, before the penalties!. Still, that's life for you.
2 years earlier, similar scenario v Orient in LDV ( or what-ever ), when we scored just before the end, to secure our 1st visit to Wembley.
Then back in 2006, albeit promotion wasn't the reward for winning, we lost to Defoe's last min extra time goal in Quarter Final of League Cup at WHL.

That's probably what the Wycombe fans thought, when only 15 seconds away from Promotion, before the penalties!. Still, that's life for you.
2 years earlier, similar scenario v Orient in LDV ( or what-ever ), when we scored just before the end, to secure our 1st visit to Wembley.
Then back in 2006, albeit promotion wasn't the reward for winning, we lost to Defoe's last min extra time goal in Quarter Final of League Cup at WHL.

Which was offside!

Myles Weston. What a Southend legend. Fantastic run and fantastic cross for the Pig to bury in the back of the net.

Two lads who will always be welcome to visit the Hall anytime.

I didn't walk out when we were 5-0 down at Rotherham. So why would anyone leave early at 1-0 in a final at Wembley. It was only refs poor decisions as to why we were 1-0 down anyway. Disallowed perfectly good goal, no penalty and the free kick they scored from was a good tackle from Timlin.

So why wouldn't you be staying even if we lost. The team had certainly earned a clap from their own fans at the end.

I didn't walk out when we were 5-0 down at Rotherham. So why would anyone leave early at 1-0 in a final at Wembley. It was only refs poor decisions as to why we were 1-0 down anyway. Disallowed perfectly good goal, no penalty and the free kick they scored from was a good tackle from Timlin.

So why wouldn't you be staying even if we lost. The team had certainly earned a clap from their own fans at the end.

Me neither but it was painful sitting there!

Ive never left a game early despite how heartbreaking and terrible, dont really understand it to be honest. And as for the game in question i was on my stag do in bournemouth with a load of SUFC fans, the misery of the 90 minutes made the last 30 and pens all the more sweet :)

I couldn’t go as was in bed recovering from open heart surgery (the last few minutes wasn’t good for me actually lol) When we scored My wife ran into the room thinking I was having heart failure (again)!

My brothers and 9 year old niece left before the end, but they are Spurs and Liverpool fans who watch the odd Southend game. One walks with a stick, do they thought it made sense to leave early!!! They only just managed to get back into the ground, unlike an old customer, who wasn’t let back in! To make matters worse, he’s a very good friend of a former Southend director!!

My brothers and 9 year old niece left before the end, but they are Spurs and Liverpool fans who watch the odd Southend game. One walks with a stick, do they thought it made sense to leave early!!! They only just managed to get back into the ground, unlike an old customer, who wasn’t let back in! To make matters worse, he’s a very good friend of a former Southend director!!

That's a fair excuse! Last time I left a game early was Wales v Slovakia in Euro 2016. I was sat with a pal who had broken his foot the night before (on his stag do!) and was using crutches for the first time. Had we left at full-time, we'd never have made it to the fan park in time to see England's ****-poor draw with Russia. Hmm, now I think about it...

Hmmm only 1 person so far admitting that they left early.
This is a bit like the 'I was there' claims for the Aldershot 10-1 game:smile:

Hmmm only 1 person so far admitting that they left early.
This is a bit like the 'I was there' claims for the Aldershot 10-1 game:smile:

I should have made the poll anonymous! But kudos to RobB11 on being so upfront (he probably cries into his pillow every night so lets not mock him too much.........)

I've told this story before I think, but I think it requires telling again in celebration of this thread.

I have a mate who was due to start his new job as customer service for a train company based in Blackfriars on the night shift the very evening of our playoff. He knew that if the game went to extra time he would have to leave. So after watching Jacobson's fluke goal and wrestling with his conscience a bit he realised that he couldn't be late for his first day and we didn't really look like scoring so he left shortly into the second half of extra time.

By the time he got halfway down Wembley Way, we'd equalised but he couldn't go back, it was too late. He spent the tube journey back into central London trying desperately to follow the penalty shoot out.

So as you can imagine when he finally arrived at his new office he was experiencing rather a rollercoaster of emotions. He presented himself to slightly quizzical looks. Upon explaining that he was due to start at 9pm, he was corrected. His shift was due to start at 10pm. He had missed everything to spend an hour twiddling his thumbs waiting to start work.

This is obviously very funny for the rest of us, but the sad thing is he's kind of stopped going now. Not as a direct result of this, he hated Brown and he lives in Kent, so those were the main factors, but I genuinely feel part of his love for SUFC died that night...

I had a torturous journey home north (I don't think I got in until 11pm) with a few Shrimpers (apparantly Dave The (fired) Kitman who lived/lives in MK). I was so on cloud 9 I bought a random woman a bag of chips and paid for her bus fare home as she was (apparantly) stranded. Got abuse from a few Wycombe fans and got off at my home station with a bloke in a yellow scarf who was amazed that a fellow shrimper lived in the same town as he.

Happy, happy day. :smile:

Back