• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ron surely is being economical withe truth as Riggers has exhausted himself telling us that we have the 12th or 14th lowest budget in the division and can't afford to buy anyone from the lower reaches. Wriggly will come up with some way of explaining the differential I'm sure

Actually, early on in the proceedings, Ron said that later on he was going to tell us about the last two months of Phil's reign................sadly he changed his mind.

A gentleman seemed very upset that he had been privilege to the information about Alan Moody a few years back and approached the club but they had been unsympathetic to the request, bar providing a few lines in a programme, and that it had taken tremendous work by Suffolk Shrimper in Dorset (as he is known on here) to finally get action at and with the club. Ron apologised for this many times before being allowed to move on. This shows what an important vehicle SUEPA can be in the future in making sure any future similar situations are brought to the club's attention more directly.

Someone who I've just spoken to this eve made me aware of this - there was no live link to Dorset at the time. Yep, the lack of action by the club in 2015 was not great, and fair play to the fan (I suspect I know who it was) for bringing it up at the AGM as it was certainly relevant to do so IMHO, but also I would like to add that when we did get Ron's attention on this last Summer he allowed us to do what we wanted, have the full attention of his staff (in partic some great help from Danny Macklin), and put his hand in his own pocket too. Sometimes wrong decisions can be made, but if you put them right then fair play, and Ron did.

The Moody Blues campaign not only achieved its aim of paying tribute to a true icon of the club in some difficult times for him, but it generated a true togetherness among Shrimper fans in supporting something we all believed in, and many were involved in making it perhaps one of the biggest, if not the biggest, successes of the 2017/18 season with both the fans AND the club pulling together.

I would add that I continue to be in touch with Alan/his daughter from time to time, he has had some setbacks along the way in achieving his aim of getting a specially adapted car, but last I heard some obstacles had been overcome and as soon as I have some definitive news to report I'll let folk know. Alan has been hugely appreciative of what the fans/club did, he is a private person and when he came to Roots Hall last September did not want to go on the pitch but did say afterwards he wished he had. It remains my hope that Alan can come back to Roots Hall again soon, possibly in conjunction with a SUEPA event involving maybe others who played in the Liverpool match and/or the 80/81 squad, and receive a great on-the-pitch Roots Hall welcome. What an event that would be.

SUEPA was not in place at the time of the Moody Blues campaign, but it (together with the previous Derek Spence/Keith Mercer visit) was the inspiration for getting it off the ground. As Kay rightly says, SUEPA can be an important vehicle in the future, in particular if the club consistently work with the Shrimpers Trust (under whose umbrella it sits) in letting it help where it can as well as acting as a fun forum for fans and ex players to celebrate the past. Please continue to give it your support by following us on Twitter/Facebook and letting us know of any contact leads for ex-players not yet signed up.

Someone who I've just spoken to this eve made me aware of this - there was no live link to Dorset at the time. Yep, the lack of action by the club in 2015 was not great, and fair play to the fan (I suspect I know who it was) for bringing it up at the AGM as it was certainly relevant to do so IMHO, but also I would like to add that when we did get Ron's attention on this last Summer he allowed us to do what we wanted, have the full attention of his staff (in partic some great help from Danny Macklin), and put his hand in his own pocket too. Sometimes wrong decisions can be made, but if you put them right then fair play, and Ron did.

I thought it was fair comment to bring it up, but he didn't seem to want to let it drop. Ron apologised several time but the gentleman wouldn't leave it.

If he had come to the Trust in the first place, or even when he didn't get the response he wanted from the club, then this wouldn't have happened.

Back