• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I hope it's not too big a rebuild. Sure Sir Chris wants to put his stamp on things and get his players in, but our form in the second half of last season suggests we weren't far away from the right blend.

Looking at this resource for Charlton CP did make a lot of changes (and won the league) - hopefully not as many changes needed here. (Season 2011/12 and part of 2010/11 would have been his initial signings)

http://www.transferleague.co.uk/charlton-athletic/english-football-teams/charlton-athletic-transfers

This is my issue with Timlin; it's all well and good being able to win a ball, but a bit pointless when you then you proceed to give it away and I think his passing has been woeful for while, not just this season. However I wish him all the best as though I have been critical about him the last couple of seasons; prior to that he was a key member of the team.
cannot see how you’ve issues with Tim’s I see a lot of players who had issues with passing Wordsworth best passer of the ball now gone

Shame about Timlin. What a player he's been for the club, thanks Michael. And thanks MAF as well, always put a shift in and never shirked a challenge the pair of them.

Frees up needed wages. Sadly, both 'too old'although undeniably great professionals. No room for sentiment, or we'd have a bunch of old crocks playing.....oh, wait a min.
Looking forward to the yoith and new 'younger' guys coming in, especially looking forward to the unknown rough diamonds from non league, which is the way I thought we should go anyway, especially as we're a selling club traditionally.
Also liking the plan to get more 'cast offs' into th u23 squad. plan for the future, not just next season ala Brown

You might have seen good passing if the pitch had been solid and flat Powell could come unstuck as its not been easy to find good young players when we sell all the good players and Martin I have no confidence in on a note how the hell are we going to afford 400000 rent at the new grounnd

That's the spirit.

Little room for sentiment indeed but let's hope fans don't forget it works the other way if/when Cox/Oxley decide to better themselves.

Oxley we are in trouble if a Championship side come in and fair dues- Cox is entirely in our hands, he wants to stay, we are either try to cut back on his wages or offer a 1 year contract when he wants two or both.

With Cox having let Fortune go letting him go as well would be a huge risk..
It leaves Robinson (jury out..but thats a step forward) and kids. And we know how incredibly hard it is to find quality strikers- we can be in for many and end up with none very easily

His attitude and work rate is very good- and at least one experienced proven striker who has played at the top level is a plus (so unless SCP has another ex Prem international chomping at the bit I think I would be wanting to go the extra mile..)

You might have seen good passing if the pitch had been solid and flat Powell could come unstuck as its not been easy to find good young players when we sell all the good players and Martin I have no confidence in on a note how the hell are we going to afford 400000 rent at the new grounnd

Quite easy. 2/3rds of the FF flats are to be rented and the income goes to the club, as well as the Hilton hotel. Less than 50 flats should cover 400k per year.

Ron had promised to write of £17m, so 400k seems good business for the fans.

Oxley we are in trouble if a Championship side come in and fair dues- Cox is entirely in our hands, he wants to stay, we are either try to cut back on his wages or offer a 1 year contract when he wants two or both.

With Cox having let Fortune go letting him go as well would be a huge risk..
It leaves Robinson (jury out..but thats a step forward) and kids. And we know how incredibly hard it is to find quality strikers- we can be in for many and end up with none very easily

His attitude and work rate is very good- and at least one experienced proven striker who has played at the top level is a plus (so unless SCP has another ex Prem international chomping at the bit I think I would be wanting to go the extra mile..)

I suspect the issue with Cox is he commanded a big wage when he joined the club and I'm not sure with him now over 30 the club won't try to cut their cloth a little. Problem is from the player's point of view he's given us two good seasons and scored almost 30 goals so he will feel he deserves at least what he got two years ago, perhaps more.

Some skilled negotiation needed for that one. Won't be short of suitors.

Good luck to both Timlin and Fortune, Tims great passionate player, I just hope Cox goes because I have never seen a player whos head goes down so easily when things dont go right on the pitch, we can get better players on less money. Only my personal opinion.

Quite easy. 2/3rds of the FF flats are to be rented and the income goes to the club, as well as the Hilton hotel. Less than 50 flats should cover 400k per year.

Ron had promised to write of £17m, so 400k seems good business for the fans.

If income from flats and Hilton goes to the club as well then it should be difficult to find fault...even on here :-)

Good luck to both Timlin and Fortune, Tims great passionate player, I just hope Cox goes because I have never seen a player whos head goes down so easily when things dont go right on the pitch, we can get better players on less money. Only my personal opinion.

The club has proved on many many occasions the opposite sadly. he sets himself high standards and I am sure his head goes down- but his effort never does. If he goes then we are down to just Theo- I am afraid we might find one really good striker that we can afford but we can't afford to lose both of those we had (Cox & Fortune). The latter may now make sense but not the former at the same time. When we took Cox on there was an element of risk (he hadn't played much in Champ). We have made him more sought after not less as he has proved, fitness, that he's not injury prone and he will still get goals and create. So if we somehow believe he's now cheaper then we will be disappointed.

Never be happy to see someone go until you see the replacement- there is significant room for disappointment regrettably..

Always sad to see good players leave the club but age like all of us has court up.CP unlikely for this to happen without some idea who the replacements are.Believe he did something similar when he went to Charlton they didn't to to bad afterwards

Marc, thanks for everything.

Michael, what a pro and a top player. Thanks for all these years and won't ever forget the Stevenage matches! One of the best Sturrock signings.

Would like to wish both Tims and MAF the very best of luck, whatever they end up doing. Both have been brilliant servants to the club, and it is always sad to see committed and dedicated players head off into the sunset.

That said, I think we were very lucky with Marco - we expected one season when he arrived, and he has been fit enough and effective enough to give us two seasons, and put in some fantastic work. Sadly, age has taken its toll, and I am glad he has gone before his performances started to really suffer! He will make a brilliant coach, if that is his aspiration!

and Timlin - he has also been impressive during his time with us, and again, at 33, you have to wonder how many years he has left - and sadly for him, I think his best footballing days are behind him.

On this basis, undoubtedly difficult decisions have had to be made - can't help but think these are the right decisions! If sacrificing Timlin and Marco allows SCP to free up some budget to keep Cox for another year, this is definitely good business. If Coxy also ends up going, that will be disappointing for me, because there is still a lot of good football left in the old boy yet! Tend to agree that Coxy will be far more difficult to replace than most other positions, even Oxley!

Disappointed both leaving. Critical we hold onto Oxley, Turner and Cox

Whilst I'm not entirely happy to see both go I think at their age and potential future impact on the team this might prove to be the right decision all round, as for the three that that are still mulling over offers I hope we don't let things drag on too long, whilst all three would be big 'keeps' i do think that they would all be replaceable within the free'd up budget. strangely the one I'd be less upset about leaving would be Cox, he's a quality player but I just think he should have scored more in his time here.

If Cox is looking for a 2 year deal (and I have no idea whether this is true) his case has probably not been helped by the memory of the 2 year deal offered to Ferdinand by Brown

Back