• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Predict the England starting eleven

RHB

I'm a Mod too⭐⭐
Staff member
This thread can run for the duration of England's involvement in this World Cup. If you're feeling confident have a go at the formation as well as predicting the team.

Tunisia first up and I'll start off with:

Pickford
Walker
Stones
Cahill
Dier
Trippier
Linguard
Alli
Rose
Kane
Rashford

5-3-2 seems likely given the last few friendlies, although I think Sterling will be played behind Kane rather than next to him.

Pickford

Walker Stones Maguire
Rose Trippier
Henderson Dele Lingard
Sterling
Kane

Pickford

Walker Stones Maguire
Henderson

Trippier Young

Sterling Dele

Rashford
Kane (C)

I would rather see Rashford start and Sterling coming on after about 65-70 minutes

It doesn't matter what you two would like/prefer - the thread's about predicting Sir Gareth's starting eleven.

Okay, like the look of RHB’s initial eleven - but fear GS may opt for Henderson. That do?

....................Pickford....................
..........Walker Stones Maguire........
Trippier.................................Rose
......................Dier.......................
..........Lingard Dele Rashford.........
.....................Kane.......................

Last edited:
Banks
Cohen , J.Charlton , Moore , Wilson
Ball , Stiles , B.Charlton , Peters
Hunt , Hurst

I reckon he'll play 3 centre backs with a holding midfielder, 2 wide men with a central attacking midfielder and three up front (sort of).

Pickford

Stones Cahill Maguire

Henderson

Walker Young

Dele

Sterling Lingard

Kane

I reckon he'll play 3 centre backs with a holding midfielder, 2 wide men with a central attacking midfielder and three up front (sort of).

Pickford

Stones Cahill Maguire

Henderson

Walker Young

Dele

Sterling Lingard

Kane
That looks pretty good on paper doesn't it? And when you think we also have Vardy and Rashford to come off the bench - well, we just might do a little bit better than many predict. Here's hoping...

Dilemma with Vardy is that his natural game ( which played a huge part in Leicester winning the league ) is to play on the last defender and use his pace.
Even when Leicester were winning , the had less possession in the majority of games and were largely ‘counter attacking’ which suited him.
Some assumptions now.
He will probably start on the bench , which in turn means he will be introduced when we are chasing a game and need a goal , which may also mean the opposition are much deeper and he has no space to run into.

In conclusion, I think he is better suited starting ( certainly in the games against stronger teams likely to have more of the ball ) , but I don’t think he will given the Managers preferred system.

Not sure why the downer on Henderson. He’s no Kante, but nor is Dier.

My team would be

Butland

Alexander Arnold, walker, stones, Cahill, rose

Henderson

Alli

Sterling Kane rashford.

I suspect swap in trippier and Lingard for the right back and rashford and that’s the team.

The Sun claims that they've been leaked England's line-up for the opening game: https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/foot...arcus-rashford-world-cup-starting-xi-tunisia/

I wouldn't be surprised if it was that. Personally I think it's harsh leaving Rashford out but what an option to have on the bench, and I'd move Walker to right-back and have Cahill in the centre.

Agree with the above post about Henderson - never understood why he gets so much stick from England fans. There's a reason he's first choice for Liverpool and England. He'll give us a bit more solidity in midfield with Alli and Lingard ahead of him.

I'd start the same team against Panama, and I think Southgate will.
The only likely change would be if Deli Alli isn't fit so Loftus-Cheek would come in for him

Back