• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Yes, just over 5 years ago. We played them 3 times in 6 weeks and haven't played them since.

They were three cracking matches though. Not sure we've had too many better matches since.

Brentford were a division higher than us (and riding high in that division) and moved the ball well but we went toe-to-toe with them and win one, lost one and drew one. The JPT match I think featured a great Hurst goal and was a see-saw affair; the FA Cup match at Roots Hall was a draw but we should have buried them - I think Gavin Tomlin should have had a hattrick in that match - and then at the replay Paul Smith produced the best individual display I can remember and we pulled level when Lenny crossed in for BBBC. Alas it wasn't to be and they eventually grabbed a winner.

Wasn't the last time we played them the Paul Smith match?

More like the Paul Smith Show, was standing behind the goal that night, could not beleave the save after save after save he made.
They should of easily, if not more put 5 past us that night.

Last edited by a moderator:
More like the Paul Smith Show, was standing behind the goal that night, could not beleave the save after save after save he made.
They should of easily, if not more put 5 past us that night.
Yes!Smith’s performance that night was truly phenomenal.No way in the world could he take blame for the first goal-right in front of us-and then when we knew none of them would ever beat him again-we’d win the penalty shoot-out to nil,Plodder got the winner.

The Bricklayers arms I believe.:thumbdown::thumbdown:
The Bricklayers did indeed close a while ago and is now a house. It wasn't one of the four corner pubs being just a short walk down the Ealing Road from the ground.

always enjoyed going to Griffin Park - probably my most visited away ground.
used to live in West Ealing as well - happy memories.
echo the Paul Smith display - I've personally never seen a better display between the sticks from a Southend keeper and doubt I will again.

Well, I don't think Burton will be making that trip to Wembley, after all!

Back