• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I can only think this signing is to replace Cox, I can't see both of them up front together as they are both on the short side, he has bags of pace which Robinson also has:thumbsup:

I thought Tom Hopper was 6ft 1ins.

Welcome to our club Tom, so you have moved from SUFC to SUFC, but this one is much better. :winking:

PS: Can you have a quick word with your mate Sam Mantom and tell him to sign up now, as you need him to show you the ropes and introduce you to all the BlueBelles. :winking:

Last edited:
Mr Hoppy!!

screenshot-400.jpg

This reference is even more unexpected than Southend announcing a signing!

To answer my own question the last one I can find is a surprise - Liam Dickinson, who was a few months short of his 26th birthday. Because of injuries he was already descending rather than an ascending player, although he was a big part in us topping the league before we faded and eventually finished 4th.

The one before that appears to be Billy Paynter, who was just 22. Whilst that didn't work out for us his best season was aged 25 when he scored 26 goals for Swindon. Hopper will be 25 next season....

I suspect Hopper will have one prolific season in his career. As he's with us for his seasons aged 24, 25 and 26 I think there's a really good chance it's with us:thumbsup:

What about Freddie Ladapo. He ticks all your boxes. Out of interest where did you get this theory about 25 being the age a forward learns how to score goals.

Last edited:
Welcome Tom. Score lots of goals please, not lots of girls......

18 goals in 91 appearances for Scunthorpe isn't good enough so buy some new shooting boots.

Last edited:
Welcome Tom. Score lots of goals please, not lots of girls......

18 goals in 91 appearances for Scunthorpe isn't good enough so but some new shooting boots.

What if he puts in all the hard work and Cox ends up with 25 goals next season because of that? Let’s see how Hopper fits in to the system SCP wants to play. (And whether or not Cox is even part of that)

What about Freddie Ladapo. He ticks all your boxes.

By all of the boxes do you actually mean one of three?

The three boxes were 100+ league starts (Lapapo's made 25); 20 league goals (Ladapo's got 6) and 25 or under (Ladapo is 25, so well done there).

Ladapo was a high risk, high reward signing. He had/has a chance of becoming good but he also has a fairly high chance of dropping out the league next year.

Hopper's different in that he's an established player at this level so we know he can play at this level and should still be improving. Nothing's guaranteed but the odds are very much in our favour that we get someone who is at least a squad player with a very good chance if things go right with injuries/style of play of having his career season with us.

Out of interest where did you get this theory about 25 being the age a forward learns how to score goals.

Can't remember, but I linked to it on here. The sweet spot for forwards is about 25/26. Unless injury intervenes this is when they tend to have their most prolific season. That's roughly when they are at their peak physically (by that time they may have peaked pace wise but won't have peaked endurance or strength wise) with enough experience. It varies from sport to sport but the mean age of setting world records is 26.1, which again ties in with this.

As I said it doesn't guarantee anything but it gives us better odds.

We only have him because Ron never goes into Footballers-R-Us in person and only buys online. He had actually thought he was getting Hooper back, but his fat little fingers made a wrong key-stroke depression. Oh well, let's hope it all works out for the best.:winking:

By all of the boxes do you actually mean one of three?

The three boxes were 100+ league starts (Lapapo's made 25); 20 league goals (Ladapo's got 6) and 25 or under (Ladapo is 25, so well done there).

Ladapo was a high risk, high reward signing. He had/has a chance of becoming good but he also has a fairly high chance of dropping out the league next year.

Hopper's different in that he's an established player at this level so we know he can play at this level and should still be improving. Nothing's guaranteed but the odds are very much in our favour that we get someone who is at least a squad player with a very good chance if things go right with injuries/style of play of having his career season with us.

Can't remember, but I linked to it on here. The sweet spot for forwards is about 25/26. Unless injury intervenes this is when they tend to have their most prolific season. That's roughly when they are at their peak physically (by that time they may have peaked pace wise but won't have peaked endurance or strength wise) with enough experience. It varies from sport to sport but the mean age of setting world records is 26.1, which again ties in with this.

As I said it doesn't guarantee anything but it gives us better odds.

You seem to have forgotten Ladapo was on loan at Oldham as well as Shrewsbury. Anyway the point is the reason we haven't signed many forwards under 25 who have played 100 games and scored 20 goals is because that not only proves they aren't exactly prolific it also means their current club don't think this magical break through season is going to happen any time soon. If they thought that he wouldn't be signing for us.

By the way under your stats we would not have signed Freddie Eastwood. That aside let's hope Tom Hopper has some of the qualities that Fred E had but Fred L had none.....talent, desire, anticipation, work rate and not afraid to put his head in at least the same post code as the ball.:thumbsup:

To answer my own question the last one I can find is a surprise - Liam Dickinson, who was a few months short of his 26th birthday. Because of injuries he was already descending rather than an ascending player, although he was a big part in us topping the league before we faded and eventually finished 4th.

We faded after he broke his ankle.

You seem to have forgotten Ladapo was on loan at Oldham as well as Shrewsbury. Anyway the point is the reason we haven't signed many forwards under 25 who have played 100 games and scored 20 goals is because that not only proves they aren't exactly prolific it also means their current club don't think this magical break through season is going to happen any time soon. If they thought that he wouldn't be signing for us.

By the way under your stats we would not have signed Freddie Eastwood. That aside let's hope Tom Hopper has some of the qualities that Fred E had but Fred L had none.....talent, desire, anticipation, work rate and not afraid to put his head in at least the same post code as the ball.:thumbsup:
Who is Freddie Eastwood?

I find it strange that a prolific poster on here can't spell the name of one of our greatest players of all time.

Who is Freddie Eastwood?

I find it strange that a prolific poster on here can't spell the name of one of our greatest players of all time.

Why the sarcasm. I have supported Southend for years and would have spelt it the same!

Welcome tom looking forward too seeing how you get on , hope we sign fast forward in my opinion we need that

Back