• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Final comment then back to the toilet stuff, apols to LF

Parachute payments are worth 5 points over every other team according to research. Not exactly a fair playing field is it?

"Parachute payments in English Football " ( Wilson, Grish and Ramchandani). Answer: significant distortion of the balance of
fair competition. Response: every club in EFL should be petitioning to get this unfair system ended

Absolute *****. You can’t quantify how many points it’s worth. You could say newly relegated teams get on average x amount of points extra but not a chance you could directly tie that to payments...

Absolute *****. You can’t quantify how many points it’s worth. You could say newly relegated teams get on average x amount of points extra but not a chance you could directly tie that to payments...
There are statistical models that look at income/ budget/ salary etc vs league position. I don’t see it as a giant leap to include points in any such model. Parachute payments are part of income so if makes sense to me that someone has put a average value to this

Pre pour drinks in the West has been discussed before and it's just not practical - there's no way it could be sensibly monitored. Personally, I don't understand the need to cram alcohol in during a 15 minute spell at half time - rather wait till afterwards and go and sup a pint in comfort somewhere - maybe people wouldn't need to use the loos as much then either, lol! Two problems solved at once! :smiles:
I don't understand what you mean by this, can you please explain? I'd say 75% of people in the West Stand bar (estimate) at half time will be ordering a pint of lager - why can't say 20 pints of lager be pre poured 5 minutes before half time ready to go for half time? It would speed up the process a lot.

You might not like to have a drink at half time, but myself and clearly a decent amount of other people do and the process is very frustrating at the moment.

Hi Wakes123, There is a potential of someone walking in and taking a pint without paying, also if say 20 pints of larger are poured, you would also need to do the same with ale and possibly cider, making 60 pints overall and from what i am led to believe the space in the bar is not that great, there would also need to be a way of monitoring all of the transactions. And finally the amount of time it would take to pour these drinks, also would everyone be ok with drinking warm flat beer?

Hi Wakes123, There is a potential of someone walking in and taking a pint without paying, also if say 20 pints of larger are poured, you would also need to do the same with ale and possibly cider, making 60 pints overall and from what i am led to believe the space in the bar is not that great, there would also need to be a way of monitoring all of the transactions. And finally the amount of time it would take to pour these drinks, also would everyone be ok with drinking warm flat beer?

Hi Michael,

1. If they are pre poured behind the bar how can someone walk in and take a pint without paying?
2. You wouldn't need to do the same with ale and cider as the demand isn't as high (from what I've seen). If someone wants another drink other than lager then they can just pour them out as and when.
3. The space in the bar is a legitimate obstacle, but I'm sure that could be overcome - fold up table maybe?
4. The way to monitor the transactions is surely simple - someone walks up to the bar and asks for two lagers, they get given 2 pre poured lagers and this is put through the til then and charged?
5. In terms of of the amount of time it would take to pour these drinks, they're going to have to do it anyway so it makes sense to me to do it just before half time when there's no queue, rather than at half time when there's a massive queue.
6. If they pour them just before half time, they wouldn't be that warm or flat.

I think this should be brought up with the club again. Everyone moans about it at half time so I know it's not just me.

i dream about going to the toilet ,not walking into someone walking out , not getting wet feet, washing my hand with hot water AND soap, and leaving with dry hand having used a HOT hand drying machine , and then walking out with out bumiping into someone walking in. I know, I know , my expectations are just far too high and frankly ridiculous

I look forward to the day the clump of, what I can only imagine is poo, is cleaned off the floor of the cubicle on the right.

I am sure we will discuss this again, the points i made, may have scratched the surface, i can not remember exactly what the other reasons were or fully what was discussed, but i am sure the reasons were on here. I will ask if there is anyway we can a post to this thread with the reasons as to why or why not, hope this helps.

This may seem a trivial request, but it really irritates me at every home game;

Please can the music be switched off at least 3 mins before KO? It really spoils the atmosphere when you can’t hear the crowd getting behind the team (above some pointless pop song) leading up to the kicking off.

Thanks
Victor Meldew

I have to totally agree with this and the fact that often the sound is so loud it is distorted and actually can be quite unpleasant and more so annoying. On some occasions I can’t even hear what the person next to me is saying.
Is there really a need to have it so loud

Please can the music be switched off at least 3 mins before KO? It really spoils the atmosphere when you can’t hear the crowd getting behind the team (above some pointless pop song) leading up to the kicking off.

Thanks
Victor Meldew
Yep, or at the very least change the sodding playlist.

Get the important issues sorted: white goal nets please.
This too. The black ones look like net curtains.

Lord Football - Although we love guessing on the Zone, you could ask what progress there has been on Kiernan's fitness and whether we will ever see him in a Southend shirt on the pitch. Genuine question!!

Lord Football - Although we love guessing on the Zone, you could ask what progress there has been on Kiernan's fitness and whether we will ever see him in a Southend shirt on the pitch. Genuine question!!

Yes. We ask that kind of stuff on a regular basis. We've never got an update on Kiernan, no one seems to know!!

Thanks
Victor Meldew

This x1000

Hi

I have banged on about the for year's Local Club. Local Ale.
Usual answer. No it does not work like that, we only get in through a big national supplier.
I and I know lots of other's who drink in pubs/bars round the ground, as
the choice at Roots Hall is very limited. Would change if a local club stocked Local Ale.
I know the answer will be we are tied into a contarct, and its cheaper.
Maybe but you would sell loads more, making more money. Even run Beer Festival's
Yes I have a vested interest working for Billericay Brewery and yes I Organise Rochford Beer Festival. However as a 60 year old I have supported Southend all my life.
God knows how many as a season ticket holder.
Lots of other clubs of our size support local breweries as we know from Travelzone.
Rant Over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi

Usual answer. No it does not work like that, we only get in through a big national supplier.
the choice at Roots Hall is very limited. Would change if a local club stocked Local Ale.
Maybe but you would sell loads more, making more money. Even run Beer Festival's
Yes I have a vested interest working for Billericay Brewery and yes I Organise Rochford Beer Festival. However as a 60 year old I have supported Southend all my life.
Lots of other clubs of our size support local breweries as we know from Travelzone.
Agree with the above, which is why I usually have a beer in the West Road Tap prior to the RH games. Great little set up in there.

Hi

Agree with the above, which is why I usually have a beer in the West Road Tap prior to the RH games. Great little set up in there.

There's been some excellent guest ales at Roots Hall, there's also been talk of trying to organise a beer festival, trouble is, the last one didn't get terribly well supported.

There's been some excellent guest ales at Roots Hall, there's also been talk of trying to organise a beer festival, trouble is, the last one didn't get terribly well supported.

Get someone to organise it and publicise it who knows what they're doing.

Any ideas, Steve ? :Winking:

Back