• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

If anyone should be dropped it should be Wordsworth. Has had a really good season to date, but last few weeks has looked very leggy and tired. Even when Timlin isnt entirely on his game, he still puts the effort in and will never shirk a tackle. Didnt think Timlin played well first half, but then who did. But second half thought he was much better

Every team that hammered us early on in the season is getting their just deserts and Cobblers are next on the list. 3-0

I am surprised at suggestions of dropping Wordsworth. As an attacking force through the middle of the park and his link up play with the forwards he offers something none of our other midfielders do. He is also a very good finisher. I would certainly not drop him a home game which we are seeking to win.

Timlin's distribution can be a bit hit and miss but with Will out of the team we need his workrate and tackling ability.

The only position up for grabs for me is who plays in Will's place. As we are at home I would favour McGlashen over O'Neill. He does tend to shine as sub but has not actually started that many games at home and did create our first goal against Rochdale before stupidly getting himself sent off. I would not therefore dismiss him as just an impact sub.

Northampton are in good form and will be confident and I will like us to start with our most attacking team from the start to put them under pressure rather than allow them to ease themselves into the game.

Good Morning Shripmers,

(Generic Cobblers fan in peace alert).

Thought I would give you a little insight into the team you will be facing on Saturday, always enjoy conversing with opposition fans before games and it gives be a bit more understanding when im watching other teams.

The team you will be coming up against is growing and confidence (and fitness finally) after what was one of the worst spells I can remember watching the team under Rob Page. Justin Edinburgh has come in and is starting to really have an impact.

We have been playing exclusively in a 4-4-2 with a midfield diamond so far, although JED has suggested that players could be rotated for this game so perhaps a change is in the offing formation wise also. I am starting to really get on board with the diamond although we are vulnerable out wide because of it so if you have any pacey wingers then we will have issues!

Under Rob Page we would literally camp on the edge of our own box with all 10 outfield players and inevitable concede in the last 10 minutes. Players had been complaining about how lax training was and it was obvious in our play they were simply not fit enough. He also refused to rotate or make substitutions before the 89[SUP]th[/SUP] minute, hence his sacking which all Cobblers fans were glad about.

We are the 5[SUP]th[/SUP] highest scorers in the league despite our lowly position but we ship an a ton of goals as well. Players to watch our for this weekend would be Keshi Anderson who is on loan from Crystal Palace, a little lad who is a real poacher. Has been played at the top of the diamond in the last few games and pops up in good spaces and causes problems. Hiram Boateng who is destined for much better things. Again on loan from Palace, he has been playing on the left of the diamond. He is only 21 but has a huge frame, his control is excellent with both feet and goes past people with such ease, just voted out player of the month for Jan. John-Joe O’Toole (our cult hero) you obviously know a little about! Last 18 months has been immense and is hitting top form now, up to 9 goals for the season and has 4 in his last 3, a massive goal threat at the moment.

I see you have completed turned around your season since the game at our place. Your keeper that day had an absolute western in particular. What has turned your performances around and which players have been key recently?

Looking forward to heading down on Saturday, if anyone can recommend any local boozers that would be greatly appreciated. As for a score line I am going for an entertaining 2-2.

Cobblers

Good afternoon Cobblet. You've certainly had a change of fortune with ex-Shrimper Justin Edinburgh in charge.We have a very powerful side at the moment with Simon Cox scoring regularly and our own big unit, Marc-Antoine Fortuné (ex-WBA) showing strength and class. We do have pacy forwards in McGlashan and Robinson, and Ryan Leonard is always reliable. Anton Ferdinand is an experienced prsence at the back and our young 'keeper is learning his trade well.

We should have a great game; I predict 3-2.

Good Morning Shripmers,

, if anyone can recommend any local boozers that would be greatly appreciated.
Cobblers

Only one near the ground for away fans is The Blue Boar, very compact. Probably better off in town 10-15 min walk, Wetherspoons opp Southend Central station or Var sity 1/2 way down high street.
Bet our fans give Billy Best a bigger welcome than yours do!.

Ticket stats routine reports 6597 home seats accounted for so it's looking like it will be a pretty good crowd in excess of 7k.

Only one near the ground for away fans is The Blue Boar, very compact. Probably better off in town 10-15 min walk, Wetherspoons opp Southend Central station or Var sity 1/2 way down high street.

Good Morning Shrimpers,

Looking forward to heading down on Saturday, if anyone can recommend any local boozers that would be greatly appreciated. As for a score line I am going for an entertaining 2-2.

Cobblers

The weather looks like it'll be pretty decent so might be worth stopping off at Leigh-On-Sea and having a few drinks in Old Leigh perhaps.

Should be 8k+ in attendance again tomorrow.

Maybe 7k sold by the end of today not including corporate .

Another 500+ on the day plus 500 odd from Northampton.

Good Morning Shripmers,

(Generic Cobblers fan in peace alert).

Thought I would give you a little insight into the team you will be facing on Saturday, always enjoy conversing with opposition fans before games and it gives be a bit more understanding when im watching other teams.

The team you will be coming up against is growing and confidence (and fitness finally) after what was one of the worst spells I can remember watching the team under Rob Page. Justin Edinburgh has come in and is starting to really have an impact.

We have been playing exclusively in a 4-4-2 with a midfield diamond so far, although JED has suggested that players could be rotated for this game so perhaps a change is in the offing formation wise also. I am starting to really get on board with the diamond although we are vulnerable out wide because of it so if you have any pacey wingers then we will have issues!

Under Rob Page we would literally camp on the edge of our own box with all 10 outfield players and inevitable concede in the last 10 minutes. Players had been complaining about how lax training was and it was obvious in our play they were simply not fit enough. He also refused to rotate or make substitutions before the 89[SUP]th[/SUP] minute, hence his sacking which all Cobblers fans were glad about.

We are the 5[SUP]th[/SUP] highest scorers in the league despite our lowly position but we ship an a ton of goals as well. Players to watch our for this weekend would be Keshi Anderson who is on loan from Crystal Palace, a little lad who is a real poacher. Has been played at the top of the diamond in the last few games and pops up in good spaces and causes problems. Hiram Boateng who is destined for much better things. Again on loan from Palace, he has been playing on the left of the diamond. He is only 21 but has a huge frame, his control is excellent with both feet and goes past people with such ease, just voted out player of the month for Jan. John-Joe O’Toole (our cult hero) you obviously know a little about! Last 18 months has been immense and is hitting top form now, up to 9 goals for the season and has 4 in his last 3, a massive goal threat at the moment.

I see you have completed turned around your season since the game at our place. Your keeper that day had an absolute western in particular. What has turned your performances around and which players have been key recently?

Cobblers

How many you bringing? Don't know why but Northampton never seem to bring many.

Would recommend The Cricketers.Bit of a walk from the ground but the real ale's worth it.Even seen Millwall fans there before now so you'd be welcome.

There have been no figures released yet but I would imagine around 700 or so. Not sure why we dont travel to well to Southend as our away support to most places is pretty decent.

Thanks for the pub info all :thumbsup:

Smith

Demetriou
Ferdinand
Thompson
Coker

O'Neil
Wordworth
Lenny
Timlin

MAF
Cox

2-0

Got too agree with this selection.
O'Neil just ahead of Mc Glashen, as too me he is better used as a impact sub, when teams are tired.

Subs Totenham Lad. Bexton. White. Inniss. Robinson. Ranger. Mc Glashen.

Smith

Demetriou
Ferdinand
Thompson
Coker

O'Neil
Wordworth
Lenny
Timlin

MAF
Cox

2-0

If they play a diamond and leave huge gaps down the wings, then surely McGlashan could have a field day, and should start. Then bring on O'Neil when he tires.

If they set up as a diamond and you want to cover it , Play O Neil and Timlin , to counter abut let Demi and Coker over lap .
If you want to exploit it , Start with Mcglash , give him freedom two switch wings and play Timlin , Wordsworth and Lenny as a midfield three when defending with Tims covering the overlapping full back when we attack

If they set up as a diamond and you want to cover it , Play O Neil and Timlin , to counter abut let Demi and Coker over lap .
If you want to exploit it , Start with Mcglash , give him freedom two switch wings and play Timlin , Wordsworth and Lenny as a midfield three when defending with Tims covering the overlapping full back when we attack

He said after the Oxford game that he came alive when switched to the left wing. He said he much prefers it. Don't want him on the right wing if he's no good there.

Back