• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Brexit negotiations thread

Pubey

Surprised there isn't already a thread.

Negotiations officially began yesterday.

Safe to say it probably didn't get off to a great start, although perhaps unsurprising.

"In contrast to well-rehearsed EU positions on issues such as the financial settlement and Irish borders, British officials admit they did not bring any pre-prepared negotiating papers to share with their counterparts - insisting instead that their overall ambitions were made clear by the government’s earlier white paper and Lancaster House speech."

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...mand-to-agree-divorce-bill-before-trade-talks

I believe this was reported from The Hague... The MayMobile is in trouble....

img_3404.jpeg

David Davis the numpty couldn't even get his Churchill quote right... He should have the used the "We'll fight them on the beaches!" One

If we are going to come out of this with any benefits we needs some orrible b'strds in there, like Claude Littner who used to grill the apprentice muppets..

David Davis the numpty couldn't even get his Churchill quote right... He should have the used the "We'll fight them on the beaches!" One

If we are going to come out of this with any benefits we needs some orrible b'strds in there, like Claude Littner who used to grill the apprentice muppets..

We'll fight them on the Blue Flag beaches.... because thanks to the EU we now have cleaner beaches:thumbsup:

Thought it was significant that DD caved into the EU on the first day of negotiations regarding simultaneous trade talks.:smiles:

Agreed certainly not worth picking a fight over (yet)...and agreeing to the EU's phased approach actually means very little as I'm sure you will concede Barna bearing in mind that they can't discuss phase one properly without discussing phase 2 (trade) as one impacts on the other.

Also good to see the EU stepping back on the UK's assets post Brexit.:clap:

Agreed certainly not worth picking a fight over (yet)...and agreeing to the EU's phased approach actually means very little as I'm sure you will concede Barna bearing in mind that they can't discuss phase one properly without discussing phase 2 (trade) as one impacts on the other.

So why did David Davis say this would be "the row of the summer"?

So why did David Davis say this would be "the row of the summer"?

It's a good question, but doesn't alter that you can't fully discuss phase one without taking into account phase two.

Davis certainly needs to be more careful in some of his quotes, this wasn't the only one that didn't bear much scrutiny regarding Brexit, Starmer from Labour has been equally nonsensical in some of his rhetoric.

It's a good question, but doesn't alter that you can't fully discuss phase one without taking into account phase two.

Davis certainly needs to be more careful in some of his quotes, this wasn't the only one that didn't bear much scrutiny regarding Brexit, Starmer from Labour has been equally nonsensical in some of his rhetoric.

On the contrary-he's been much more nuanced than DD.Good to hear spreadsheet Phil stress the importance of jobs over immigration yesterday.Hard Brexit is finished.

On the contrary-he's been much more nuanced than DD.Good to hear spreadsheet Phil stress the importance of jobs over immigration yesterday.Hard Brexit is finished.

I suspect that very much depends on your view of what hard brexit entails.....as for starmer he has struggled throughout staying on message for Labour.

I suspect that very much depends on your view of what hard brexit entails.....as for starmer he has struggled throughout staying on message for Labour.

That's because he's trying to make the most of a bad job within the constraints that the Leaver Corbyn has imposed.

It's no coincidence that the politicians displaying the most understanding of the topic on both sides are Remainers (Hammond on the Tory side and Starmer on the Labour side).

We're still to see a coherent and plausible vision of what Britain's future outside will look like from any Leavers.

This is going to be a case study in incompetence for decades to come.

That's because he's trying to make the most of a bad job within the constraints that the Leaver Corbyn has imposed.

It's no coincidence that the politicians displaying the most understanding of the topic on both sides are Remainers (Hammond on the Tory side and Starmer on the Labour side).

We're still to see a coherent and plausible vision of what Britain's future outside will look like from any Leavers.

This is going to be a case study in incompetence for decades to come.

Brilliant .....until you consider May was a remainer...and perhaps delivering the most incoherent strategy on negotiations of all time.

Brilliant .....until you consider May was a remainer...and perhaps delivering the most incoherent strategy on negotiations of all time.

May is clueless (and now a Leaver), but maybe some of her colleagues who supported Brexit could assist?

I mean they are in the Department for Exiting the EU, the Foreign Office, Trade Secretary, DEFRA etc so you'd like to have thought they would have had some ideas at what to do if they were successful.

May is clueless (and now a Leaver), but maybe some of her colleagues who supported Brexit could assist?

I mean they are in the Department for Exiting the EU, the Foreign Office, Trade Secretary, DEFRA etc so you'd like to have thought they would have had some ideas at what to do if they were successful.

Some strange logic you are exercising here Yorkie, My understanding is that 80 per cent of the vote in the recent GE went to parties that support Brexit...using your premise thats a lot of remainers that now support leave.

As for your second part had (Remainer) Cameron actually considered that he might lose...we might not be in the situation we are now.

Some strange logic you are exercising here Yorkie, My understanding is that 80 per cent of the vote in the recent GE went to parties that support Brexit...using your premise thats a lot of remainers that now support leave.

As for your second part had (Remainer) Cameron actually considered that he might lose...we might not be in the situation we are now.

Brexit is apparantly a done deal sadly, and the best that us Remainers can hope for is a soft, almost invisible Brexit.

I agree, Cameron never ever thought he'd lose the Brexit vote - he only included it in his 2015 manifesto to attract the Kippers and appease Farage.

Brexit is apparantly a done deal sadly, and the best that us Remainers can hope for is a soft, almost invisible Brexit.

I agree, Cameron never ever thought he'd lose the Brexit vote - he only included it in his 2015 manifesto to attract the Kippers and appease Farage.

The best as a remainer you could hope for would be the UK's re-entry into EFTA, the best a leaver can hope for is a bespoke deal for the UK and entry into Nafta.

The best as a remainer you could hope for would be the UK's re-entry into EFTA, the best a leaver can hope for is a bespoke deal for the UK and entry into Nafta.

You mean Nafta, the trade deal that has already been on the brink of collapse once since Trump got in to office and is looking very likely that any changes will be of complete benefit to America, otherwise it will collapse... Sounds like a great compromise to what we currently have.

As for a bespoke deal, the EU will not give away hardly anything other than the sort of deals they have with other non EU members, else everyone will want to leave and have the same deal. I am willing to be proven wrong on that one, but I just simply don't see why they EU would bow down to us and give us such a bespoke deal, it is of no value to them.

You mean Nafta, the trade deal that has already been on the brink of collapse once since Trump got in to office and is looking very likely that any changes will be of complete benefit to America, otherwise it will collapse... Sounds like a great compromise to what we currently have.

As for a bespoke deal, the EU will not give away hardly anything other than the sort of deals they have with other non EU members, else everyone will want to leave and have the same deal. I am willing to be proven wrong on that one, but I just simply don't see why they EU would bow down to us and give us such a bespoke deal, it is of no value to them.

Nafta is presently being re-negotiated , and it is certainly true that Trump did not appear to be a great fan of trading bloc's per se in the run up to the US election, however Trumps main gripes appear to be more concerned with currency manipulation etc...I certainly wouldn't rule out the UK joining other trading blocs such as Nafta, TPP etc...in many ways it makes perfect sense.

As for a bespoke deal, there is an illusion that has been cleverly propagated that anything individually designed for the UK post Brexit will be to the detriment of the EU, mainly based on the premise that the UK can't be seen to be doing better outside of the EU totally ignoring the fact that both Switzerland and Norway have already to different extents achieved this.

If as you say a bespoke deal with the UK has no value to the EU then the UK will revert to WTO in terms of trade and MFN status....relying on our abilities to form trade agreements outside of the single market.

Should the UK prove to be ultimately successful outside of the EU with no deal, something we won't probably know until 2030 then it simply won't matter will it...in terms of who bowed down to who.

Back