• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Did you mean to post this here?

Perhaps you meant to post it on the "Injured players returning" thread instead?

I don't see what Kightly's (doctor V Physio scan) has to do Josh Wright possibly signing for us.

Bet ben happy poor bloke on is own ,with so many injured players to get back in team
Mr Martin really runs this club well

Eh :unsure: This is why you shouldn't post when you get in from the pub

Eh :unsure: This is why you shouldn't post when you get in from the pub

I didn't understand this one either last night, but sitting on the throne this morning I finally cracked it. :smile:

I think it's about Ben Clarkson being on his own treating the multitude, like Mary Seacole on the Crimean battlefield, with a dig to Ron for not giving more resources. I'm not sure that last bit is entirely true though is it? There's still a club doctor surely?

FOLK blame the pitch others blame the training But for what ever the reason for all these groin strains and mussel tares The only fact in all this is .Our squad is to weak to many kids thrown to the lions to soon .So for all the give the team a chance folk I'm all for giving the team of injured players a chance to get back to full fitness .But in the mean time we are dropping like a stone 8 games without a win .So do we need another player in like either of the two that are being mentioned on hear .YES YES without a shadow of a doubt . Then in January we can say farewell lenny and know we already have a replacement at the club .

FOLK blame the pitch others blame the training But for what ever the reason for all these groin strains and mussel tares The only fact in all this is .Our squad is to weak to many kids thrown to the lions to soon .So for all the give the team a chance folk I'm all for giving the team of injured players a chance to get back to full fitness .But in the mean time we are dropping like a stone 8 games without a win .So do we need another player in like either of the two that are being mentioned on hear .YES YES without a shadow of a doubt . Then in January we can say farewell lenny and know we already have a replacement at the club .

Stop being shellfish.

After a few games in we had people complaining we hadnt played enough under 25's. Now we play them and people complain.

We have had an extraordinary amount of injuries and having both full backs out has nothing to do with pitches or training. We are never going to have 3 senior left backs so we have to make do

We have had 6 of our 8 defenders injured, three of which aren't old players and two of them were impact injuries.

The training and pitch don't seem to be injuring strikers or midfielders in anywhere near the same numbers, surely if either were the definitive cause it would affect all players in all positions?

We are blooding the youth but not because they are considered first team ready but because the treatment room dictates their inclusion. Quality over quantity is precisely that. We have some quality and some not quite up to the required standard. Some of the youth, in time, may transpire to be great assets but maybe now is just a tad too soon for them. Even when we get some of the 'key' injured players back they will not be match fit. How long is it going to be before we have a first choice settled side? Too long I fear. Maybe this is already getting to be a season of consolidation, however enforced by injuries, and maybe the usage in terms of the kids is going to pay dividends next season. Alternatively we add to the quantity of players, with some Lg 1 capable players, and have a tilt at reviving our ambitions.

It's a tough call and of course it's down to the finances available. If we are looking at bringing in only one more, say Wright, I wouldn't bother. It won't be enough for this season so save the dosh for a good stab at it next year. Some may see it as negative but then it could also be purely pragmatic.

I assume wordsworth will play, he may play Wright along side him, but what of Kiernan, White, Knightly.

Kiernan must be close he has been training for nearly 2 weeks pain free?

So kightley is only out for 2 or 3 weeks away!!! Or shail we had 2 or 3 weeks on top because we always say this!! For example turner and kiernan suppose to be back by now!!

Popped down to boots n laces this morning with my best mate....was actually really very interesting. To give Phil Brown his credit... u can tell he is absolutely passionate about succeeding , he really does get stuck in and theres no doubt whos in charge. We Got there at 11 and players already going through a pressing drill with tactics how fleetwood play which i wont give away. Brown wasnt afraid to rollock Ranger when he was "asleep" on his heels and was v encouraging to young Dru who made a few mistakes and his head went down but brown was really good here & that impressed me. His man management seemed good and it echoed frank noubles comments that team spirit is the best anywhere... the players really did have a great bond and competition was fierce but also they really did have a laugh. Ranger is such a strong character and was in the middle of all the banter it looked like he and the other players love it here. Ranger, ferdinand and timlin are definitely the bosses on the pitch... all v vocal all the time. Demetriou clobbered hendrie who really looks like he hasnt settled. Jack bridge really shone he was so skillful but i was disappointed only timlin cox and ferdinand stayed out there for a bit after training had finished... players like bridge mcglashan etc need to go the extra mile imho to get 1st team. Wordsworth was pure class his finishing was the best on show...john white took part on some but ice bagged during the main match so not looking good for saturday. No kightly kiernan coker or turner. Ba looked keen but fortune had to translate everything to him. Coughlin looked a bit of a gimp and did nothing... whilst the midfield and defence were doing fleetwood prep i thought coco should be taking shooting practice with strikers but instead just standing around for long periods.... shooting is what we need to sharpen up on the most!!! I went to see Billericay town play tuesday night and they must have had 35 shots.... we seem to be taking the opposite tactic!!!
Good hour or so highly recommended if u have spare time. Utb

Interesting comments from PB in the Echo suggesting maybe the training regime is too tough on the new players when they first come in

I find the injury thing fascinating especially given Phils comments about the training regime being too tough. I was enlightened by fellow scribers on here who ,in turning up to view training ,were staggered to find how brief it was, also referencing few if any players bothering to stay behind to fine tune skills.
Our past seasons IN PART have been hampered in my view by 1. Getting players in late and 2. The injuries scenario.
Weve had the debate on here about the benefits of early signings which Phil himself subscribes to the wisdom of, but we just dont pull it off, and have the distinction of always being the last to get players in and settle a squad. It seems to be a bit about hanging on for that late Championship signing?
In some senses Phil might be right about the training, especially at the beginning of the season. Footballers unlike other athletes do have a break. Research suggests, despite their so called personal summer training regimes, the break is not good for them. Not every one keeps up the regime for a start. The earlier you are brought in the less likely of breakdown.
The above Football league research also looked at the past 5 years of injuries. This they found a significant distinction between types of injury between older and younger players. In the most youthful impact injuries occurred more often, even bones had not fully grown. In the older players, hamstring injuries were by far the most common, especially after the Summer break.Getting them in earlier and training reduced the risk.
The study also concluded that it would be unwise if you were going for a smaller squad to effectively bring in the older player, given the high risk of injury. Perhaps we didnt read the research?

Interesting post, had no idea of the research.

It's a tough one, PB believed quality was the answer to find that missing point from last season and time will tell if he made the right call.

Personally, I'll see where we are after the new year game as I truly believe promotion is not out of the question yet, certainly not in September.

Back