• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Brexit negotiations thread

According to Bloomberg. Greece's economy is now outstripping the UK's.

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/arti...il&utm_term=0_10959edeb5-fe55d4ef27-190131681

Now I generally don't deal in internet links because all the UK media has some sort of agenda, but this is a US financial report with no bias. It's an interesting and worrying read.

I don't know much about Brexit, bar the complexities of moving goods across borders and all that goes with it, so I wont comment further.

I seem to remember George Osborne saying that the whole point of austerity measures was to save us from a Greek style financial crisis.Plus ça change.

I seem to remember George Osborne saying that the whole point of austerity measures was to save us from a Greek style financial crisis.Plus ça change.

The irony here of course is that the greeks have had austerity forced on them by the EU despite voting against it.

According to Bloomberg. Greece's economy is now outstripping the UK's.

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/arti...il&utm_term=0_10959edeb5-fe55d4ef27-190131681

Now I generally don't deal in internet links because all the UK media has some sort of agenda, but this is a US financial report with no bias. It's an interesting and worrying read.

I don't know much about Brexit, bar the complexities of moving goods across borders and all that goes with it, so I wont comment further.

Surely any economy that is that finally coming out of a 8-9 year recession, would show reasonable growth?

By contrast Bangladeshi growth is around 7 per cent....yet remains a poor country.

Surely any economy that is that finally coming out of a 8-9 year recession, would show reasonable growth?

By contrast Bangladeshi growth is around 7 per cent....yet remains a poor country.

I don't know. I don't know anything about global economics, so I as I said in my previous comment, I wont comment further. But then again I wont argue with Bloomberg either.

But....
I do know about maths. I've got an O level and everything. So I know that 7% of next to nothing is still pretty much next to nothing. I think that answers your question.

A week in politics, as little over two weeks in football, is a long time. My last ramblings (which now look rather wide of the mark?) on Brexit, were when the clouds momentarily opened and there was the smallest sighting of a soft Brexit sun. Those clouds quicky gathered again with a firm NO to any kind of customs union.
Like watching any good series we are grippingly moving towards the dénouement. Will our comic-book heroine make a soft or hard landing with the the good ship Brexit, or will she crash it somwhere mid-Atlantic? Does she know where to land it........indeed is she herself in control of the ship? Will all be revealed in a series of speeches in the coming weeks or will the destination remain vague and obscure?
Christ! Who needs a TV series when you've got a real life drama with heroes, villains and characters who are almost believable, playing out in front of your very eyes. The only worrying thing is of course, with TV drama, you can turn the set off and get back to your ordinary lives. With this drama it is real and not fantasy and when everyone has finished their acting we will be obliged to live with the consequences.

I don't know. I don't know anything about global economics, so I as I said in my previous comment, I wont comment further. But then again I wont argue with Bloomberg either.

But....
I do know about maths. I've got an O level and everything. So I know that 7% of next to nothing is still pretty much next to nothing. I think that answers your question.

So do us Brexit people. So we know that 52% in a 'once in a life time, you cant go back after the result' referendum means we will be leaving the EU. We also know that the MP's should respect the will of the people and democracy, so get on with what we voted for and not their watered down, don't agree with it, remoaners version.:winking:

Are you going to Bury by the way.

So do us Brexit people. So we know that 52% in a 'once in a life time, you cant go back after the result' referendum means we will be leaving the EU. We also know that the MP's should respect the will of the people and democracy, so get on with what we voted for and not their watered down, don't agree with it, remoaners version.:winking:

Are you going to Bury by the way.

Would you like to get back into the "52% of what" debate, which can be equally, and easily, described as 36%?. And do the 48% now not get a voice? And if we don't, isn't that an attack on free speech?

Yes. You can buy me a birthday pint. Assuming we don't turn back, I'll be in their social club.

Would you like to get back into the "52% of what" debate, which can be equally, and easily, described as 36%?. And do the 48% now not get a voice? And if we don't, isn't that an attack on free speech?

Yes. You can buy me a birthday pint. Assuming we don't turn back, I'll be in their social club.

As you have just pointed out Remain are just 30% of the population. If they had won we wouldn't be getting a say but we all knew that, you ignored us for years and that's why were out.

By the way I bought everyone a pint on my birthday when played Millwall away in the FAC.

As you have just pointed out Remain are just 30% of the population. If they had won we wouldn't be getting a say but we all knew that, you ignored us for years and that's why were out.

By the way I bought everyone a pint on my birthday when played Millwall away in the FAC.

Good for you. I have a(nother) holiday to fund next week. :)

Not sure about this figure.In any case, as I've already pointed out,Leave voters are dying off,to be replaced with younger,remain voters in the future.There's no doubt in my mind, that the referendum result will eventually be reversed by the UK public.

Not sure about this figure.In any case, as I've already pointed out,Leave voters are dying off,to be replaced with younger,remain voters in the future.There's no doubt in my mind, that the referendum result will eventually be reversed by the UK public.

It might well be, but what is the timescale on that? It could be 10, maybe 20 years into the future. Possibly longer. The other issue is whether or not the EU would want us back after this fiasco, even that far into the future.

The problem is that predicting the future is fraught with danger. There's also the possibility that in the future the oldies (i.e. people of my age) go from being mostly anti EU to pro EU when they realise what they've left behind. (For the benefit of Leavers, this is speculation to prove a point.) At that point in time it might well be the young that don't want to join because they'll have nothing to compare it to. It could become a complete role reversal. You simply don't know.

In any case, as I've already pointed out,Leave voters are dying off,to be replaced with younger,remain voters in the future.

One fairly major flaw in this theory is that it fails to take into account that "younger, remain voters" are perfectly at liberty to alter their views when they get older. As indeed they should be.

To illustrate the point, we all know people that were once, perhaps in their student days, fervently left of centre student union types and yet middle age, parenthood and becoming somewhat worldly-wise seems to turn the dial to the right in so many cases. Being old enough to compare the tax deductions on payslips under Labour & Conservative governments can have much the same effect. I'm sure there are cases of movement in the opposite direction too.

There's an equal case for saying that the younger, remain voters of today will have, by the time of any further referendum, lived long enough to have seen and experienced positive Brexit outcomes (or just learned to live with it) to the extent that they prefer to remain outside of the EU at that time. Gee, they might even go one better than many of their elders and decide to respect with good grace the outcome of the 2016 vote.

One fairly major flaw in this theory is that it fails to take into account that "younger, remain voters" are perfectly at liberty to alter their views when they get older. As indeed they should be.

To illustrate the point, we all know people that were once, perhaps in their student days, fervently left of centre student union types and yet middle age, parenthood and becoming somewhat worldly-wise seems to turn the dial to the right in so many cases. Being old enough to compare the tax deductions on payslips under Labour & Conservative governments can have much the same effect. I'm sure there are cases of movement in the opposite direction too.

There's an equal case for saying that the younger, remain voters of today will have, by the time of any further referendum, lived long enough to have seen and experienced positive Brexit outcomes (or just learned to live with it) to the extent that they prefer to remain outside of the EU at that time. Gee, they might even go one better than many of their elders and decide to respect with good grace the outcome of the 2016 vote.

Perhaps you can explain why so many younger voters opted for Jeremy Corbyn in last year's snap election? IMO,it's because he offered them some hope for their future, which doesn't seem to be available elsewhere (especially from the Tories).

Perhaps you can explain why so many younger voters opted for Jeremy Corbyn in last year's snap election? IMO,it's because he offered them some hope for their future, which doesn't seem to be available elsewhere (especially from the Tories).

Yes if only he could stick to his life long core belief that the EU has been far more damaging for young peoples future than any Tory government......He might actually win an election.

Shame he has had to pander to the privileged left wing liberal elite, including those that work in the media, that worry about "Who's going to serve my coffee in Costa of a morning"......."Who will wipe my bottom in a nursing home when I'm older"......

How about paying some of the working classes they despise so much a fair wage for serving their coffee. Of course they don't have to with an endless supply of cheap Labour. The sad thing is the coffee is no cheaper just bigger profits for the tax dodging multi nationals.

Likewise if you think immigrants are only capable of wiping your a***.......Then maybe you should be paying for the privilege.

Yes if only he could stick to his life long core belief that the EU has been far more damaging for young peoples future than any Tory government......He might actually win an election.

Shame he has had to pander to the privileged left wing liberal elite, including those that work in the media, that worry about "Who's going to serve my coffee in Costa of a morning"......."Who will wipe my bottom in a nursing home when I'm older"......

How about paying some of the working classes they despise so much a fair wage for serving their coffee. Of course they don't have to with an endless supply of cheap Labour. The sad thing is the coffee is no cheaper just bigger profits for the tax dodging multi nationals.

Likewise if you think immigrants are only capable of wiping your a***.......Then maybe you should be paying for the privilege.

In fact, Labour played a blinder in the last GE.Both by accepting the referendum result and leaving all options on the table in Brexit discussions.

It was of course Labour,under that much maligned Tony Blair, who introduced the minimum wage.

In fact, Labour played a blinder in the last GE.Both by accepting the referendum result and leaving all options on the table in Brexit discussions.

It was of course Labour,under that much maligned Tony Blair, who introduced the minimum wage.

How sad that Labour success is now measured against the margin of defeat.

Avoiding discussion at all cost and hoping to blame the Tories is doing no one any favours.....Remain or Leave.

Tony the Tory encouraged mass immigration for political reasons so he has made sure the minimum wage will be the maximum wage for many whilst every thing else rises above inflation.

By the way long before minimum wage or equal pay, back in the 50's my mother left her job with Woolworths in London one morning to start that day for double the pay and much better conditions for Gordons Gin.....Millennial women of the same age are now working for nothing under 'internships' for similar companies......Go girls, make you march against Trump because we need protection and we need change.......Its only those corrupt old men from the EU that can help us because your not capable of achieving anything with out their laws and their say so.......Are you?

Last edited:

Have you considered going into Stand up comedy?

Back