• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

World Cup Squad Announcement

Seems like only yesterday that Nick Pope was helping Bury get out of FL2. Good keeper.

Too many defenders no creativity or spark. A dull squad for a dull manager.
The defenders situation is weird - I like TAA but he's a third choice RWB going for the experience, I don't think he'll be picked over Trippier. He could potentially be used as cover at CM but there are better options. I would love another decent CM in the squad but we're just completely lacking in that area right now. It's a shame Milner has retired because he would have walked into that squad IMO after a fine season.

Starting XI that I'd go for:

Pickford
Walker Stones Maguire Rose
Dier Loftus-Cheek
Sterling Dele Vardy
Kane

I think Southgate sees Walker as a right sided centre back so Trippier will presumably be the right wing back and Rose or Young on the other side.

Based on the last couple of friendlies we're probably going to play 3 centre backs so that we can use 2 wing backs, that's why we're bringing so many defenders.

I think Southgate sees Walker as a right sided centre back so Trippier will presumably be the right wing back and Rose or Young on the other side.
Yeah I know that's what Southgate is going for with Walker but really not keen to be honest. Definitely not getting the best out of Walker who is ok defensively but a better CB would be great. Unless the tactic is to really split the back 3 wide when we're in position in a deep position and enable Trippier and Young/Rose to really push forward as wingers. Barca used to do this....

Harry Kane named captain :thumbdown::facepalm:

Aside from Henderson (who probably wasn't chosen as he might not play every match) who else is there though? I think Kane is vice captain for Spurs so he's the obvious choice after Henderson.

Do we have world class creative players? No

Functional and hard to break down is how we should be approaching this. I hate it as a cliché but if Greece can win the European championship then we do have a slim chance. We'll need a lot of luck and we'll need to nullify the threats of the better teams who have better players. Overall, I can't argue too much with this selection, personally I'd have had Shelvey in there but overall it's what we need.

I think this could be a slightly embarrassing tournament for us, the goalkeepers don't fill me with any confidence whatsover, the inclusion of Welbeck, I dislike the two players with the most flair - Dele and Sterling - and Harry Kane as captain? Not for me.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong but I see us leaving pretty promptly after the group stage.

I think this could be a slightly embarrassing tournament for us, the goalkeepers don't fill me with any confidence whatsover, the inclusion of Welbeck, I dislike the two players with the most flair - Dele and Sterling - and Harry Kane as captain? Not for me.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong but I see us leaving pretty promptly after the group stage.

What don't you like about Dele and Sterling? Two fantastic talents. Plus this....

DZtqjCaXkAA2iUA.jpg

England will get out of the group stages and if we don't I will get Old Blue Lady tattooed on my wotsit......maybe OBL (the L on a good day)

What don't you like about Dele and Sterling? Two fantastic talents. Plus this....
Their arrogance, both of them, plus I detest the constant falling over they both do, especially Dele.

England will get out of the group stages and if we don't I will get Old Blue Lady tattooed on my wotsit......maybe OBL (the L on a good day)
Haha, I didn't mean they'll leave at the group stage, just the round immediately after.

would liked to have maybe seen JJS,but its about the best squad he could have picked.My biggest worry is the manager himself

I'd have gone for Wilshire myself, probably over Phil Jones. People say Wilshire can't be relied on for the full 90 which might be fair but I think for 30 minutes here and there he could certainly do a job. I'm not convinced by Shelvey.
Otherwise fine.
From the squad I think we're going to do an awful lot of pressing. Walker is, I think, playing centre half because he's rapid and it allows us to play that might higher up with Pickford as the sweeper keeper so there's some logic

Leaving out Jonjo Shelvey shows extreme shortsightedness. Probably the best passer of a ball in last season's premier league. Of course if he had been playing for a so-called "Big Six" club, he would have been a shoe-in.

our keepers are from Burnley, Everton and Stoke. We have a Leicester centre back over a Man U one and the bloke from Chelsea just scraped in at the last moment due to lack of alternatives. Of all the things you can say about Southgate he doesn't pick players from the top 6 clubs on reputation

our keepers are from Burnley, Everton and Stoke. We have a Leicester centre back over a Man U one and the bloke from Chelsea just scraped in at the last moment due to lack of alternatives. Of all the things you can say about Southgate he doesn't pick players from the top 6 clubs on reputation

Is the bloke from Chelsea Ruben Loftus Cheek? If so he's been on loan at Palace all season, so even he should really count as a player from outside the top 6.

Back