• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

My gripe is aimed at the 15,000 plus overnight extra new fans lured by low admissions and a new stadium part funded by us the taxpayer.I know of 4 people who have now stopped coming to Southend as they think it's more fashionable to support a team of overseas mercenaries. Being on the train to Millwall it's clear without a new ground ,and a successful team with competitive prices we are losing the battle for our future support thanks to an unfair deal done by Hammers board and politicians
Yes same principle of moving out of London to the wider suburbs which sadly many places have become.

In Liverpool it is not uncommon for people to adopt Tranmere as a sort of second team, I'm sure it infuriates the genuine hard core of Tranmere fans but there you go.

The way the world is now with wider opportunities to travel etc and people moving all over the place this is perhaps not as likely as in the past. I'm personally not a fan of those half and half scarves but the premier league matches seem full of tourist fans.

I can't blame them for continuing to support their "local" team after what they've been through.

I actually can never understand people criticising the teams people support, most people I know don't ever switch their allegiance once they decided who they will support.

My choices of teams would appear very odd to the locals in Sheffield, in Football I support SUFC and always will. However my son likes Basketball and Ice Hockey and as I had no previous allegances here I have found myself a fan / supporter of The Sharks and the Steelers, so to anyone who doesn't know my history of moving from Essex to Yorkshire must think I'm very confused supporting a football team thats almost 200 miles away!

My gripe is aimed at the 15,000 plus overnight extra new fans lured by low admissions and a new stadium part funded by us the taxpayer.I know of 4 people who have now stopped coming to Southend as they think it's more fashionable to support a team of overseas mercenaries. Being on the train to Millwall it's clear without a new ground ,and a successful team with competitive prices we are losing the battle for our future support thanks to an unfair deal done by Hammers board and politicians

I understand that I really do I'm afraid it's a fact of life that some will be 'lured' to the bigger clubs - There is something to be said for seeing top level sport regardles of it being football or Rugby etc. I often went to Hillsborough simply to see premiership football when I first lived in Sheffield, thanks to that I've seen teams like Man u and Arsenal all get beaten
Happy%20Smilie%20aug%202010.gif

However you are right we do need a new ground and bigger better times.

If we go back to the 80's Southend often played games midweek so as not to compete for crowds with the London teams, the same went for Tranmere on the Wirral they often played on Friday nights to avoid clashing with Liverpool fixtures. I can recall nights at Roots Hall often Tuesdays or Fridays where there might have been gates of 3,000 or so.

I imagine Millers and Chesterfield fans get reet worked up about the fact lots of Owls and Blades live in Rotherham and Chesterfield areas.

Growing up, I found a lot of people supported two sides.

There'd be people who would support, say West Ham and Southend. I know, from my perspective, I was brought up following Arsenal, as it's inherent in my family, but also grew to love and support my local lower league side, Southend, until the latter takes over and becomes the number one choice.

I don't think there should be any fear of losing supporters to London clubs, but keep giving youngsters opportunities to also watch Southend, like the 'kids for a quid' and 'local schools' initiatives and, eventually, they will become regulars at RH, as well.

There's nothing to fear from the larger clubs. If anything, as the Premier League continues to eat itself, lower league football will appeal more.

I think we also have to factor in Hitler and the Luftwaffe here.

I am of course referring to the bombing of London during the second world war that saw many families leaving the east end of London for safety outside the capital and then because they had no house left - poor sods.

I can't blame them for continuing to support their "local" team after what they've been through.

Also lots of them moved because they are racists!

Tut tut Anton. I hope you feel the full force of the reprimand that oozes from this thread. I doubt you will be able to sleep at night with this weighing on your conscience. I can see from your performances that you put in poor displays because you are a hammer and you hate the Southend. Sneaky getting a job with us so you could create mayhem from within. Fancy accepting the captains armband and displacing a true blue legend in the process. Are there no depths you would sink to? You may as well leave the club now as you will never be accepted or appreciated by the fans. Its not as though you are any good as a player. Just look at the results since you have been in the side. Shameful indeed.

So you have not gone off the thread much and totally exaggerated what I wrote?? Not much more than from here to the Moon.
All I say is that Southend United are a club that is often associated with WHU and our fans supporting us as their second club - which I promise you is what many, many people believe. We are not alone in that assumption. I have spoken to Rochdale or Stockport County fans who have to put up with the "Man Utd Misfits" tag. They would not be impressed by their captain parading pro-Man Utd gestures or their support singing Man Utd songs. Same goes for Tranny Rovers and Liverpool.

We all claim to want our club identity but if both our captain and our supporters gesture West Ham United and sing West Ham United against?? You guessed it the biggest and most hated rivals of?? Errr West Ham United - you must get the impression we are pretty damned close to West Ham United?

I cannot imagine Wayne Rooney captaining Manchester United at Anfield, getting the abuse he expects and then turn to The Kop and give an Everton gesture. He would instead probably do the badge bit
.he would realise that despite his support of Everton - he is captain of Man Utd.

So you have not gone off the thread much and totally exaggerated what I wrote?? Not much more than from here to the Moon.
All I say is that Southend United are a club that is often associated with WHU and our fans supporting us as their second club - which I promise you is what many, many people believe. We are not alone in that assumption. I have spoken to Rochdale or Stockport County fans who have to put up with the "Man Utd Misfits" tag. They would not be impressed by their captain parading pro-Man Utd gestures or their support singing Man Utd songs. Same goes for Tranny Rovers and Liverpool.

We all claim to want our club identity but if both our captain and our supporters gesture West Ham United and sing West Ham United against?? You guessed it the biggest and most hated rivals of?? Errr West Ham United - you must get the impression we are pretty damned close to West Ham United?

I know you were not at the game so you didn't witness what happened and we were certainly not signing West Ham songs. Why is a man of your age is making a fuss over some 17 year olds making one little chant and having a tiff......on Facebook.

I find it strange that you would post about your days as one "of the boys" but be outraged when you club captain makes a sign at the idiots in the Dockers stand.

When was the last time anyone here was racially abused at work. If they were the full weight of their employers, their industry and the law would protect them.......In Football we have some of our own fans expecting our own black players to shut up and keep quiet, which is utter, utter b******s.

Lets just remind ourselves that Anton never even made a complaint against John Terry yet he now has to suffer abuse because of that case. Millwall fans were screaming out "John Terry was right abut you ...You C***". We know that Millwall hate Chelsea but the chance to abuse an ex Hammer who is black trumps JT. As we know they also abused McG.

Despite all that Anton remained clam and professional through out the match. Took the responsibility of marking Morrison in the second half, which took the pressure off of Thommo for that reason he was my MOM. At the end of the game as he always does he come down our end to thank his fans and Millwall started again and target him not any of our other players so he turned and made the gesture.

The big bad Millwall boys ran down and all put one leg on the hoardings and then looked around hoping one of the pointless stewards would pull them back. So good on Anton he earned that right to make that gesture and proved exactly what that group really are.

If that's upset a few of you because of your own personal hatred of WHU to the point where you would back Millwall racists over your own Captain and player of the season by a mile so far, then you don't need a lesson in history ....You need a lesson in life.

Last edited:
I know you were not at the game so you didn't witness what happened and we were certainly not signing West Ham songs. Why is a man of your age is making a fuss over some 17 year olds making one little chant and having a tiff......on Facebook.

I find it strange that you would post about your days as one "of the boys" but be outraged when you club captain makes a sign at the idiots in the Dockers stand.

When was the last time anyone here was racially abused at work. If they were the full weight of their employers, their industry and the law would protect them.......In Football we some of our own fans expecting our own black players to shut up and keep quiet, which is utter, utter b******s.

Lets just remind ourselves that Anton never even made a complaint against John Terry yet he now has to suffer abuse because of that case. Millwall fans were screaming out "John Terry was right abut you ...You C***". We know that Millwall hate Chelsea but the chance to abuse an ex Hammer who is black trumps JT. As we know they also abused McG.

Despite all that Anton remained clam and professional through out the match. Took the responsibility of marking Morrison in the second half, which took the pressure off of Thommo for that reason he was my MOM. At the end of the game as he always does he come down our end to thank his fans and Millwall started again and target him not any of our other players so he turned and made the gesture.

The big bad Millwall boys ran down and all put one leg on the hoardings and then looked around hoping one of the pointless stewards would pull them back. So good on Anton he earned that right to make that gesture and proved exactly what that group really are.

If that's upset a few of you because of your own personal hatred of WHU to the point where you would back Millwall racists over your own Captain and player of the season by a mile so far, then you don't need a lesson in history ....You need a lesson in life.

Everyone entitled to an opinion. Yours has my respect but I do not think a captain of any club should show support for another club while on duty. My opinion.
As for my younger days? I always post tongue in cheek like many others as we are aware we were young, foolish and often stupid.
Back to my point. We are not West Ham. If we were I would be posting on some Bubbles related site.
Let's promote Southend United...not WHU..
they do that rather well as it is.

Everyone entitled to an opinion. Yours has my respect but I do not think a captain of any club should show support for another club while on duty. My opinion.
As for my younger days? I always post tongue in cheek like many others as we are aware we were young, foolish and often stupid.
Back to my point. We are not West Ham. If we were I would be posting on some Bubbles related site.
Let's promote Southend United...not WHU..
they do that rather well as it is.

The point is it was not support for WHU, it was Anton's only way of redress. Millwall won't do anything, the spineless FA or any of the governing bodies like UEFA won't do a thing. So don't expect a player to just turn the other way if he does not have the same rights as every other person in the Western World.

By the way I like your posts because we were all young and stupid once, even on Tuesday night I was recounting a story about being chased by a mob of Oxford fans back in the early 80's down that long alley behind the old Manor Ground. Luckily as a 17 year old I could run as fast as I did. :thumbsup:

The point is it was not support for WHU, it was Anton's only way of redress.

Only way of redress? Effective no doubt, and Anton has every right to give something back to the pondlife that was berating him and I don't think anyone is taking the side of Millwall fans here. It's not about that, it's about what he gave back says about our credibility as a fanbase and a club.

Look at it this way, most of us dislike west ham, as do Millwall. Purely hypothetical but if Anton was playing for Millwall, and was getting stick from Southend fans and made that sign to wind up our support, how do you think the Millwall faithful would have taken it?

Also, presumably it would not be alright for Wordsworth and Coker to pull up their shirts to reveal pro-Col Ewe t-shirts at the away end if they ever got stick off Wycombe fans at Roots Hall.

Incidentally I was at football training last night and the only two west ham fans there, neither of whom are particularly hardcore or regulars, both mentioned the incident to me, "what about Anton giving it the Irons to the Millwall fans then?". Cringe.

Only way of redress? Effective no doubt, and Anton has every right to give something back to the pondlife that was berating him and I don't think anyone is taking the side of Millwall fans here. It's not about that, it's about what he gave back says about our credibility as a fanbase and a club.

Look at it this way, most of us dislike west ham, as do Millwall. Purely hypothetical but if Anton was playing for Millwall, and was getting stick from Southend fans and made that sign to wind up our support, how do you think the Millwall faithful would have taken it?

Also, presumably it would not be alright for Wordsworth and Coker to pull up their shirts to reveal pro-Col Ewe t-shirts at the away end if they ever got stick off Wycombe fans at Roots Hall.

Incidentally I was at football training last night and the only two west ham fans there, neither of whom are particularly hardcore or regulars, both mentioned the incident to me, "what about Anton giving it the Irons to the Millwall fans then?". Cringe.

You obviously weren't at the game but some how you think Anton's gesture after the match is worse than Millwalls behaviour for 90 minutes .

Just to put you straight there is no great rivalry between us and West Ham. Rivalry has to be on both sides and they don't give a f*** about us.

As for poor you having to......Cringe, You need to man up and stop victim blaming. You can't take a little ribbing at football training but you expect our players to ignore racial abuse.....pathetic.

You obviously weren't at the game but some how you think Anton's gesture after the match is worse than Millwalls behaviour for 90 minutes .

Just to put you straight there is no great rivalry between us and West Ham. Rivalry has to be on both sides and they don't give a f*** about us.

As for poor you having to......Cringe, You need to man up and stop victim blaming. You can't take a little ribbing at football training but you expect our players to ignore racial abuse.....pathetic.

Not as pathetic as your attitude towards anyone who disagrees with you on here. Quite the spikey individual aren't you. I was at the game, and I don't condone racial abuse. I hope the perpetrators were reported to the police and will be dealt with in due course. I'm aware there's no rivalry between us and west ham. I said we dislike them, that is not the same thing. There's no animosity the other way round of course.

Not as pathetic as your attitude towards anyone who disagrees with you on here. Quite the spikey individual aren't you. I was at the game, and I don't condone racial abuse. I hope the perpetrators were reported to the police and will be dealt with in due course. I'm aware there's no rivalry between us and west ham. I said we dislike them, that is not the same thing. There's no animosity the other way round of course.

...and you support the same club!

When was the last time anyone here was racially abused at work. If they were the full weight of their employers, their industry and the law would protect them.......In Football we have some of our own fans expecting our own black players to shut up and keep quiet, which is utter, utter b******s.

yay - some one talking sense ...

personally been very impressed with Anton on several levels

Back