• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Blues midfielder Wright to trigger clause in contract if he starts at Rochdale

Evening Echo

The News
SOUTHEND United midfielder Josh Wright will have his Shrimpers contract extended if he starts at Rochdale tonight.

More...

I am not convinced. We can do better.

That said I do like his Mr Joshua from Lethal Weapon look.

More to come from him. Proven capable player and less easy to get better than a lot of people think.

A decent squad player , worth another contract. But not sure he deserves to start matches at this moment in time.

I don't think he should be judged on that display against Doncaster. By his own admission he was rusty after being out so long with his injury.

Never been a fan of contact clauses like this. Rather any player purely be judged on his performances rather than the number of them he has made when deciding on contract extensions.

Best passer at the club by a mile, never looks under pressure...find space with a clever pass down the channels. A lot more to come from him, a very good player.

Better fit or better quality?

His fitness record, over his career, is good. He has sufficient quality at this level. He is one that has not had the games under the new regime, as yet, to improve his fitness after injury and show what more he can do. Feel sure it will come.

If only he could replicate the form he showed when he played against us, still I think that there is a decent player there somewhere.

Best passer at the club by a mile, never looks under pressure...find space with a clever pass down the channels. A lot more to come from him, a very good player.

Is this tongue in cheek? Weak in the tackle. Never looks like scoring. Just looks lost at times to me. We can certainly do much better

His fitness record, over his career, is good. He has sufficient quality at this level. He is one that has not had the games under the new regime, as yet, to improve his fitness after injury and show what more he can do. Feel sure it will come.

By better fit, I was referring to how he fits into Powell's style of play, not to his level of fitness.

I think he has sufficient quality but what I don't know yet is whether he is the right type of player for Powell's system. A lesser player in the right system may actually be a better fit.

I want us to be a team greater than the sum of its parts.

Even if he is rusty now he didn't show enough before his injury to be rewarded with a contact extension.

Is this tongue in cheek? Weak in the tackle. Never looks like scoring. Just looks lost at times to me. We can certainly do much better
no it’s honestly how I feel, we don’t all think the same. Will get better and better, good record before us, a rated player, and importantly a good injury record.

He was awful Saturday (although he improved second half) but to be fair his strength is supposed to be in passing the ball on the ground, which is pretty much impossible on our pitch at the moment. If we re-lay the pitch properly in the Summer maybe we'll see an improvement next year should he stay, or maybe even at Rochdale since they now have a nice pitch.

We should be allowed and encouraged to rip up the cow field and lay a proper decent 4G pitch ( buy 1 get 1 half price with Glen Tamplin ? ) ... + then we can roll it up and use it in our brand new stadium at Fossetts ( in approx 30 years time or whenever it will be built ) :thumbsup:

As others have said we haven't seen the best of Josh because of the RH pitch. He can play really tight, accurate and well weighted passes on the right surface.

Despite what many claim on here a bad pitch is not the same for both teams unless they have like for like players. Wright, Wordsworth, Kightly and McL will never have a good season on that pitch. Scunthorpe passed the ball really well at their place but struggled on our pitch.

As others have said we haven't seen the best of Josh because of the RH pitch. He can play really tight, accurate and well weighted passes on the right surface.

Despite what many claim on here a bad pitch is not the same for both teams unless they have like for like players. Wright, Wordsworth, Kightly and McL will never have a good season on that pitch. Scunthorpe passed the ball really well at their place but struggled on our pitch.

Whereas Freddie Ladapo actually looks better on our pitch , as he can blame his God awful 1st touch on it.

( * However , i do like his enthusiasm , strength and work ethic )

Back