• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Essex CCC 2017

Hampshire have enforced the follow-on. Essex will bat again, trailing by 178 runs on first innings.

No Englishman bowled a single delivery in our first innings, Hampshire have an all Kolpack seam attack. One of the best bowlers in the world, Kyle Abbott, got 6-20. Sounds like one of those days where he just came to the party

Kyle Abbott is a class act.

I think I'm right in saying that he is 3rd highest wicket-taker this season, behind Porter and Harmer.

Good response today in our second innings.

Think we must have fancied following-on, just to see if we can win doing that, as well! :smile::cool:

Kyle Abbott is a class act.

I think I'm right in saying that he is 3rd highest wicket-taker this season, behind Porter and Harmer.

Good response today in our second innings.

Think we must have fancied following-on, just to see if we can win doing that, as well! :smile::cool:

That's right, and there were very short odds on him being the top wicket taker before a ball was bowled

Lead of 30 with 7 wickets remaining. Hope Lawrence can get his 100. Saw someone comment that the pitch was turning a lot and suggested 150+ would be a good challenge.

Gut feeling is if we can bat until tea today, we have a more than even chance of nicking this one.

Not been the biggest fan of Ravi this season, but good to see him get a score, hope he and Dan can push on

Really including me, we should never doubt this team this year, been many Houdini escapes and this could be another

Young Dan is fast becoming my favourite player, though has many points to gain on the one and only Keith Boyce RIP

For those youngsters who didn't see the great Keith Boyce you missed a treat, her's a few snippets

[FONT=&quot]Once told to block out for a draw, Boyce responded by hitting an enormous six before being stumped yards out. His repsonse to his captain's rollicking was: "I thought it would waste more time if I kept hitting it over the pavilion."[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]When all did go right for Boyce it was the opposition who suffered. He once went in to bat at 12.30 and scored a century (125) before lunch at 1.30. He was the first to 1,000 runs and 100 wickets in the Sunday Leaguue; Cambridge University met him on his debut, and he took 9-61; against Leicestershire, in 1973, he had figures of 113 and 12-73.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]He played 21 times for the West Indies, touring England in 1973 and 1975, taking 19 wickets at an average of 15 in the three Tests of 1973. In the Prudential World Cup Final of 1975 Boyce's versatility gave the West Indies the decisive edge over Australia. For Essex he scored almost 9,000 runs and took 852 wickets at an average of 25. Add his one-day career and his 215 first-class catches, his loss to Essex and cricket, after 12 summers in England, through injury at the age of 34, can be seen to have been enormous.[/FONT]

Echo the Boycie sentiments.

1973 was the first year I saw an Essex match. Dad took me to the New Zealand Tour Match at Chalkwell Park.

I remember being back there in 1976 for a CCC match against Worcestershire. The day we racked up 499 in 100 overs. Boyce made a whirlwind 75, including depositing John Inchmore for about 28 in one over. Most disappearing way over the crowd and into the makeshift car park at the bottom end of the ground.

I even bowled a few deliveries at him in a pre-match warm-up at Southchurch Park. He was injured at that point, so wasn't playing, but had a net on the outfield and when the other players went into the pavilion to prepare for the match, he stayed out and let all us kids have a bowl at him, signing autographs afterwards.

He also had the most tremendous throw. Hurled in from the boundary at lightning speed, thudding into the gloves.

Always a bit of a hero and was sad he was taken at such a young age.

A bit off topic but him and Kents Bernard Julian were so unlucky not to get more caps for the W Indies

Both played with a smile regardless win or lost

You know they always have the Champion County v The MCC in Dubai or somesuch place.

Well, next year it's in Barbados! :cool:

Back