• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

THE SEVENTIES NORTH BANK

Life President⭐⭐
As I can only relive my time following Southend in my head, thank God this internet thingy came along and I can look up old videos and Photo's. I have found some great stuff and thought it would be nice to put some on here. I bought the DVD ''The Team We Call United'' two weeks ago and really enjoyed it. Of course the quality is not great because of the time shot and equipment used, but still probably the best £3.60 I have ever spent. Highly recommended especially you old timers. Would make a great present for anyone that used to watch Southend in the late sixties.
Please put any photo's with anything to do with our great club, and any comments or questions would be great. What will happen is things we have seen before will be posted, and better still, things we haven't.
I will start things off with these. Some of course are much better to look at when you use zoom.

This is when we played at The Kursaal. You can see the amusement park to the left and the water shute behind.
EPW024877.jpg

EPW024877.jpg

This is when we played at The Greyhound Stadium Sutton Road.

Stadium.jpg

The start of our diamond formation? 1975/76
235441.jpg

1975-76squad52-875779.png

Great bit about Kevin Lock and Southend near the bottom. He says nice things about Bobby Moore as well.
http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/february/03/memory-lane

Wonder if we will ever play these again.
progs-004.jpg

One of our stranger friendlies.
japan.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
First football kit I ever bought as a young lad.
http://www.southendunited.co.uk/cms_images/southendutd69-7052-836805.png

Some of the younger fans think I am winding them up when I tell them we played in Blue and White stripes.

great thread,great..also tried to buy that shirt,but could not get one anywhere in Southend,,Tried ,then, the biggest sports shop, Southend sports center, they laughed!!!Ended up spending my saved up 5 pounds on an Arsenal shirt,only because i was so gutted i could get our one and wanted then to buy a shirt,so bought that one ,coz i was different than your average red-blue top..Great photos

great thread,great..also tried to buy that shirt,but could not get one anywhere in Southend,,Tried ,then, the biggest sports shop, Southend sports center, they laughed!!!Ended up spending my saved up 5 pounds on an Arsenal shirt,only because i was so gutted i could get our one and wanted then to buy a shirt,so bought that one ,coz i was different than your average red-blue top..Great photos

I got mine about 1970, but never wore any part of it watching a Southend game. In those days they were for playing football in the park or at school. It was all about the scarf at matches.

Oops my mistake...
The programme is in my loft somewhere...
I was there

So was I. We were outclassed but kept the score down. Also, they were a bit dirty behind the refs back. They got up to all sorts. It was the only game I ever saw at Roots Hall where the opposition keeper never drop kicked the ball. Their passing and control was superb.

I had one they were West Bromwich Albion shirts , some one who played for Leigh Town was able to get me one through the club . I have a picture taken about 1970-71 of Leigh Comm football team all wearing the stripe shirts of Southend United , the reason being was that none of us had the same shirts or shorts ,our manager at the time knew someone down the club and was able to get them . I shall try and get the picture put on here this week .

Back