• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Yeah, I heard someone shouting that. If it was you.... it is not the "only job" a lino has to do, and in fact, I'd suggest it is one I wouldn't want him to do. I'd rather he was looking for the push in the back or the offside from the flick on.

Anyway, best ref we've seen all season. By a country mile.

I would argue that the lino doesn't have to keep an eye on this at every throw. I would ask him to pay attention to the first couple of throws, and if there's no issue he doesn't really need to bother after that. If the player's technique is sound, and he seems to be behaving himself then the chances are he'll continue like that for the rest of the match. If you pick him up once, he'll know you're watching for it.

Spoke to my mate today, who was the Assistant running the West stand line and he said that even though it's his first year the Ref has already been invited to join the Championship group for next season. A meteroric rise looks on the cards. Let's hope they don't rush him and he fails like a few others have done so.

Genuinely didn't notice he was there most of the time, which is unusual and testament both to his skill and maybe the fact that the second half was one of the most entertaining I've seen in many a year. Also of note is the fact that I cannot ever remember a game featuring so many handballs, and/or appeals for handballs. There seemed to be one every 5 minutes.

Genuinely didn't notice he was there most of the time, which is unusual and testament both to his skill and maybe the fact that the second half was one of the most entertaining I've seen in many a year. Also of note is the fact that I cannot ever remember a game featuring so many handballs, and/or appeals for handballs. There seemed to be one every 5 minutes.

Almost none of which were legitimate. There was one when most of the West Stand claimed handball even though the ball had hit the Walsall player in the face.

Moronic comments like this are why I have stupid boys in my daughter's class telling her that she can't play or even enjoy watching football. I'm taking her to see England v Austria at a level you lot can only dream of playing at.

Grow up.

I lived in Austria and whilst there played at a very high standard(level 3).I retain a keen interest in the game over there
and have to inform you they have no games against England for the forseeable future.

Of course, my comments are normally light-hearted and taken with a pinch of salt but In "that moment" that is his only job. The ref will/should position himself in a position where he can spot shoves in the back etc... we've had 2 lino's the last 2 home games who've missed repeated foul throw ins. If they can't get that right / it's not that important we may as well scrap that rule?!

In the nicest possible way, we do enjoy your interventions. Keep it up.

But to the point. No, regardless of what you might think, its not his only job. Especially if he is 30 yards up the pitch. In fact, he and the ref are probably not even looking at the thrower most of the time. Why would they? We had a little spate of foul throws a while back for a couple of games, but other than those when did you ever see a foul throw given. Yeah, no one cares... like six seconds on the keeper.

In the nicest possible way, we do enjoy your interventions. Keep it up.

But to the point. No, regardless of what you might think, its not his only job. Especially if he is 30 yards up the pitch. In fact, he and the ref are probably not even looking at the thrower most of the time. Why would they? We had a little spate of foul throws a while back for a couple of games, but other than those when did you ever see a foul throw given. Yeah, no one cares... like six seconds on the keeper.

6 second rule doesn't exist does it?! :'(

The only time I have ever seen at applied was at Roots Hall. Daryl was the unlucky offender. Can't remember when though.

I distinctly remember England benefiting from it in the group stages of the 2006 World Cup, and also a couple of season's ago Liverpool were penalised in either the Champions League or the Europa League (although in the latter case it was more like the 24 second rule).

Overall ref was excellent too in my opinion.

He did however miss John White give a little 2 handed nudge twice in the second half (all be it not a lot in it but we won free kicks for similar).

He also done well to miss Jason Demitrou''s very high boot on the back of the Moose. Credit to Moose, he raised his hands saying how have you not seen that...if he goes down and rolls around then we're in trouble.

Other than those, which I don't mind at all he was excellent!

Back