• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Quite happy to raise this at the next Supporters Liaison meeting (which is 4 October).

I'll be there in person, mate, and it will be mentioned.

Wow, yet another young lad who thinks he knows it all! Please keep me informed as to what goes on. I asked Danny Macklin to re-iterate the club's position after all the stuff I had last week (which I also have copied).

Sorry to hear this Trevor, as you joined in on my original post which is where they've targeted you from. I've changed the settings on my Twitter account now, hubby was getting too wound up by it all and wanted to go and pay them a "visit"!

The club will have these people's names (most Twitter accounts give a person's name) and be able to cross match them on the database when they buy tickets so they need to realise that they will be identified quite easily if they are found doing anything illegal, like having anything to do with smoke bombs. There was a much more high profile security presence on Saturday - I'd love to know if anything was found beforehand.

Because it's illegal?

But if you actually read my post you'll see I'm talking about looking for a compromise where the club in conjunction with supporters can have some form of pyro in a controlled environment. As has been done in the US (Orlando I know does this).

Yes, as things stand it's illegal and I think for the good of the club fans should not break the law. I'm talking about a compromise with the clubs, fans, league, authorities. A long shot I know but I think something that supporters groups and federations should have on the table.

And quite frankly the idea of some fans openly and enthusiastically hoping fans are uncovered and arrested on SUSPICION of doing something in the future is disgusting. The same sort of fan who would have been trying to get Cologne fans chucked out at the Emirates last week and a large reason why football is becoming over sanitised and boring with no atmosphere. And I am a million miles from being a hooligan, just think we've swung too far towards football that's akin to sitting in the theatre.

But if you actually read my post you'll see I'm talking about looking for a compromise where the club in conjunction with supporters can have some form of pyro in a controlled environment. As has been done in the US (Orlando I know does this).

Yes, as things stand it's illegal and I think for the good of the club fans should not break the law. I'm talking about a compromise with the clubs, fans, league, authorities. A long shot I know but I think something that supporters groups and federations should have on the table.

And quite frankly the idea of some fans openly and enthusiastically hoping fans are uncovered and arrested on SUSPICION of doing something in the future is disgusting. The same sort of fan who would have been trying to get Cologne fans chucked out at the Emirates last week and a large reason why football is becoming over sanitised and boring with no atmosphere. And I am a million miles from being a hooligan, just think we've swung too far towards football that's akin to sitting in the theatre.

Yes I did read it. It's got nothing to do with legalised displays, these "lads" obviously want to cause a bit of trouble and be a bit nawty, they don't want the sanitised version.

Yes I did read it. It's got nothing to do with legalised displays, these "lads" obviously want to cause a bit of trouble and be a bit nawty.

Quite possibly, and it's not tolerated by the league and authorities so totally get why the club made the statement and why you'd hope it stops.

But really, is it ACTUALLY that bad? The 'think of the children' brigade come out to play on this one but I've been to games where they've been lit not far away from where I've been with my young son and he always loved it. Which is why I was suggesting that just saying 'flares are bad' without any sort of discussion or context is wrong. IMO.

Quite possibly, and it's not tolerated by the league and authorities so totally get why the club made the statement and why you'd hope it stops.

But really, is it ACTUALLY that bad? The 'think of the children' brigade come out to play on this one but I've been to games where they've been lit not far away from where I've been with my young son and he always loved it. Which is why I was suggesting that just saying 'flares are bad' without any sort of discussion or context is wrong. IMO.

I've never been caught up in one, and I don't suffer from any breathing problems so I doubt it would affect me, however MK Jnr is really excited to attend games and I know one let off near her would terrify her and probably end the interest she has in the game.

And for the record, yes it's illegal and I'd hate the club to face a fine or even points discussion because a few 'lads' think they're hard Ultras.

Just seems to be a "do what your told, when your told" attitude among more and more football fans and that's worrying. I'm not saying break the law but question it and fight for change and a better deal for fans and a better atmosphere. Whether that's specifically about flares or not is down to your own opinion, and that's cool.

But previous generations hadn't done fought back, protested and rebelled we could be playing in Basildon right now.

I've never been caught up in one, and I don't suffer from any breathing problems so I doubt it would affect me, however MK Jnr is really excited to attend games and I know one let off near her would terrify her and probably end the interest she has in the game.

And if it was allowed in a controlled manner in a certain section of the ground then you'd sit somewhere else. So no problem.

Same as when I hear parents moan about swearing at games, sit in the family stand then.

And for the record, yes it's illegal and I'd hate the club to face a fine or even points discussion because a few 'lads' think they're hard Ultras.

Just seems to be a "do what your told, when your told" attitude among more and more football fans and that's worrying. I'm not saying break the law but question it and fight for change and a better deal for fans and a better atmosphere. Whether that's specifically about flares or not is down to your own opinion, and that's cool.

But previous generations hadn't done fought back, protested and rebelled we could be playing in Basildon right now.

You're comparing apples and oranges RM.

And if it was allowed in a controlled manner in a certain section of the ground then you'd sit somewhere else. So no problem.

Same as when I hear parents moan about swearing at games, sit in the family stand then.

But again, if it was legalised it wouldn't happen. No doubt these people would do it in another part of the ground. It's the urge to rebel against the law without what they think is no consequences to them.

You're comparing apples and oranges RM.

I think it's indicative of a broader move taking football away from a working class game with a few rough edges to something quite different.

Not advocating a return to hooligans roaming free over unsafe stadiums. But the balance has gone too far the other way. This is a small part of that bigger picture IMO.

Genuine question. My son is now 18, and I have a short memory and I didn't bring him to football until he was 8. Why would small kids be scared of blue smoke? Generally speaking Kids love fireworks and pantomimes have pyrotechnics as do concerts and kids seem to love them . As I said genuine question, and obviously I understand why a child with breathing difficulties would be scared.

Genuine question. My son is now 18, and I have a short memory and I didn't bring him to football until he was 8. Why would small kids be scared of blue smoke? Generally speaking Kids love fireworks and pantomimes have pyrotechnics as do concerts and kids seem to love them . As I said genuine question, and obviously I understand why a child with breathing difficulties would be scared.

Seeing it from a distance, fine. Being caught up in the middle of it not so fine.

This has been a long standing debate here in Oz, where the different cultural backgrounds of fans from all over the world mean that 'Pyro' is a part of fan culture. However the authorities take the same view as they do in the UK and have a zero tolerance so we have the same issues with clubs giving warnings and facing fines if it happens.

Now I have to say that I really like Pyro at games. I think it looks great, especially at a night game.

However if it's not tolerated within the league then sadly all fans who light them are doing is putting their club at risk of a fine their club probably can't afford and a themselves at risk of prosecution or arrest.

Ideally i'd like to see what they've done at some grounds in the US and have controlled pyro displays where it can be safe but where you still get the fantastic visual effect of a burning flame and smoke rolling across the pitch. Don't know why a compromise solution can't be found.

It amazed me when I was in Perth how every club in the WA state league seemed to have a national affiliation. Perth SC were Italians, Armadale Scots and English, Floreat Athena were Greeks, Stirling Lions Macedonians, Balcatta Croatians Etc. I'm guessing the NPL teams in the state leagues aren't regulated in the same way as I saw loads of Pyro at those games. I had no idea of the rivalry/Hatred between Macedonians and Greeks until I went to a match between Floreat Athena and Stirling Lions!

Wow, yet another young lad who thinks he knows it all! Please keep me informed as to what goes on. I asked Danny Macklin to re-iterate the club's position after all the stuff I had last week (which I also have copied).

Sorry to hear this Trevor, as you joined in on my original post which is where they've targeted you from. I've changed the settings on my Twitter account now, hubby was getting too wound up by it all and wanted to go and pay them a "visit"!

The club will have these people's names (most Twitter accounts give a person's name) and be able to cross match them on the database when they buy tickets so they need to realise that they will be identified quite easily if they are found doing anything illegal, like having anything to do with smoke bombs. There was a much more high profile security presence on Saturday - I'd love to know if anything was found beforehand.

That's the danger, I don't think they really understand what they may be starting. I think as far as they are aware I'm just a name on a screen somewhere...
Like you've had the offer from your hubby I've had similar offers from a few to 'go and have a word'.
I think the individuals concerned are just wind up merchants who don't realise that they've overstepped the mark and are now sailing in iffy waters.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-wal...om-wales-football-fan-john-hill-s-flare-death

John Hill was killed by a flare at a Wales game. Yes, I know there is a difference between flares, fireworks, smoke bombs and the like, but I'm not sure people who bring things like these into grounds because they look pretty do.

As it happens.... I think these things could be regulated if there was a will.

I agree, if there was regulation then I think compromise could be found to everyone's satisfaction.

Where I have the issue is that the last time one was set off at RH near me it was, obviously to try and avoid detection of the individual responsible, rolled under the seats to within a couple of metres of where I was standing. The resultant smoke and the way it was trapped under the seats and between peoples bodies made the exposure which I was subjected to to be enough to trigger an asthma attack. I don't get many attacks these days as my asthma is pretty much controlled but when I do it is certainly, to coin their phrase, no party. It certainly didn't make my afternoon a pleasant one.

We are told that entering the field of play to celebrate goals etc is wrong. Yet we see constantly the likes of Leeds etc on tv piling on the pitch almost every game.

We get told the smoke bombs etc are wrong but again if you are on the various banter boards on face book etc there are countless videos of clubs up and down the country letting off smoke bombs.

This is something that happens every single matchday, if not at roots hall then elsewhere.

Back