• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Whatever happened to due diligence when signing players? Instead of being seduced by the prospect of former 'big names' and glamour signings time would have been better spent on half an hour with a Sky Football Yearbook to see how many games these players had managed over recent seasons. 46 games is a marathon not a sprint and to be successful you need players who can last the course, an issue quite different from ability, desire or commitment.

I'm looking on the bright side, with each league away game we have conceded less than the one before:

I therefore predict a clean sheet next :smile:

As others have said, each year we have improved our position with Brown. However, this will be the year that this stat falls over and will no longer apply looking at our squad and injuries.

Let me turn that around. Do you think that if we didn't do this thing of being poor every August /September then maybe come May we wouldn't all be fretting about missing promotion/play offs by a point or two?

To be fair , if we actually break it down, we are 1 point better off still this season than last .. what did we miss out the play offs by ?

No, what I expect every single club through a season is to have a bad spell plus a great spell. If our start this season was with a full squad at the disposal of the manager , yes I too would be questioning what was happening, but we haven't that luxery at the moment. People can harp on about the help the aged squad , but actually 3 important players are nothing to do with age , Coker , Wordy and also kiernan , 3 big players that also impact the other players that have to play in different positions to cover.

I've seen pluses this season, Blackburn we showed what we could do.
We held on to Lenny for the season
White winning some of the boo boys over
Elvis , Yearwood , Harry etc

I will , for the time being reserve judgement , whilst others I appreciate love this time in the season to jump into Brown. I can understand why he divides opinion , he is of that nature , however whether people like it or not , his record ( overall ) is actually very good for us. Bumps along the way , nature of the beast , but when the chips are down, I'm not 100% sure that the wider picture is viewed and people become slightly tunnelled in their vision, which again, if you look at the current injury list and results is easy to do, I do appreciate that .

I got to be honest its getting boring that all I see is we started like this last season and the season before that and before that we start so slow and it surely comes down to preperation during pre season these injuries are killing us but i have to say I think we haven't got the right signings in with what is a very small squad this was bound to happen... How long before the brown out boys get going and when does it become a serious issue... One thing for sure brown must have gone to Ron give me a big budget and ill get us promotion were spending 18k on three players wages could that be better used how knows time will tell.... Utb

Not a dig at your post, but how do you know we are spending 18k on three players? Genuinely interested to know.

Let's get some quality signings in : Yep, done.
Let's keep hold of our best player : Yep, done.
Let's give youngsters a chance : Yep, done.
Let's play with width : Yep, done.
Let's improve our final position year on year : Yep, done.

We can all be experts from the stands. Bottom line is, it's very early days. Everyone was banging on about Bury and all their great signings a month or so ago. Same with Port Vale last season.

Unbeaten at home at the moment and not even in the relegation zone.

Granted, the defence looks a little suspect and the strikers can't score, but these are issues that will sort themselves out.

Last night we had a patched up side and still only lost 1-0 at the unbeaten league leaders.

Way too early to start worrying about things, in my view.

Apart from our own pitch maybe:smile:

A very disappointing evening! The conditions made things difficult, but for long stretches the quality of the football was pretty good and our performance second half was excellent. They dominated the early exchanges, Oxley made a very sharp save and they hit the post from a break which should have been a goal - they had a man free at the backpost. Whalley and Payne were a serious handful. They were much more prepared to play it along the ground and we were rarely stringing more than two passes together. They seemed to win every second ball. It looked like PB had set up for a draw, with only Fortune up front and his role being to hold the ball up, rather than run on the counter. Problem is with that, is that you're screwed if you concede. Given the youthful makeup of the side, it was unsurprising that there was a bit of nervousness and disorganisation. The goal typified this. It was a horrible one to concede. Just a disorganised mess of bodies sliding around to block a move near the right hand corner of the six yard box, ending up in the ball trickling over the line, Elvis crashing into the advertising hoardings and Oxley yelping at anyone who would listen. Not really sure who was to blame. They were fairly good value for the lead at half time, but we had a few good chances.

We were loads better in the second half. We dominated to a much greater degree than they achieved in the first half and on that basis we should have got at least a point. Lenny and Kip had great chances with headers and an outstretched Tims could only poke wide from 6 yards. Any taller player might have made the net bulge. Their keeper made two fantastic saves through a mass of bodies and it was becoming clear it was not our day. The substitutions had little impact. If anything we dominated less when they came on. Given the threadbare nature of the squad, the performance was commendable. The same can't be said for the blue voice - we were roundly outsung for the majority of the match.

Oxley 7.5 Better distribution than their keeper in difficult conditions. Don't think I'd blame him for the goal and was equal to all else.
Demetriou 7.5 Positive going forward, got skinned a couple of times but recovered well and dealt with a lot of abuse from their crowd. Stomping free kick effort.
Elvis 5 I'm sure he has great potential but lost the ball, misplaced passes, got caught out of position. The disappointing thing was that I saw no senior players going up to him to reassure and encourage.
Kyprianou 7 Positive - useful at set pieces and defended well
Ferdinand 8.5 MOM So calm and assured, mopped up allsorts at the back. Not at his sharpest but a good display
Leonard 7 V anonymous by his standards first half. Real live wire handful in the second
Timlin 7 Also much better in second half but showed his usual commitment without much end product
Yearwood 7.5 Timlin-like commitment with glimpses of real quality. Tried some audacious balls that sometimes came off. Serious engine
McGlashan 6 A bit like Leonard - far better second half but not himself
McLaughlin 7.5 Positive going forward and some good covering at the back.
Fortune 8 Held the ball up well and got various moves started but lacked support.

Subs
Robinson 6 intent with no end product
Cox 6.5 As above, but looked likelier
Bridge - not on for lone but wasted one good move
PB 6.5 A bit too negative but his hands are tied
TBV 5 Room for improvement.

A very disappointing evening! The conditions made things difficult, but for long stretches the quality of the football was pretty good and our performance second half was excellent. They dominated the early exchanges, Oxley made a very sharp save and they hit the post from a break which should have been a goal - they had a man free at the backpost. Whalley and Payne were a serious handful. They were much more prepared to play it along the ground and we were rarely stringing more than two passes together. They seemed to win every second ball. It looked like PB had set up for a draw, with only Fortune up front and his role being to hold the ball up, rather than run on the counter. Problem is with that, is that you're screwed if you concede. Given the youthful makeup of the side, it was unsurprising that there was a bit of nervousness and disorganisation. The goal typified this. It was a horrible one to concede. Just a disorganised mess of bodies sliding around to block a move near the right hand corner of the six yard box, ending up in the ball trickling over the line, Elvis crashing into the advertising hoardings and Oxley yelping at anyone who would listen. Not really sure who was to blame. They were fairly good value for the lead at half time, but we had a few good chances.

We were loads better in the second half. We dominated to a much greater degree than they achieved in the first half and on that basis we should have got at least a point. Lenny and Kip had great chances with headers and an outstretched Tims could only poke wide from 6 yards. Any taller player might have made the net bulge. Their keeper made two fantastic saves through a mass of bodies and it was becoming clear it was not our day. The substitutions had little impact. If anything we dominated less when they came on. Given the threadbare nature of the squad, the performance was commendable. The same can't be said for the blue voice - we were roundly outsung for the majority of the match.

Oxley 7.5 Better distribution than their keeper in difficult conditions. Don't think I'd blame him for the goal and was equal to all else.
Demetriou 7.5 Positive going forward, got skinned a couple of times but recovered well and dealt with a lot of abuse from their crowd. Stomping free kick effort.
Elvis 5 I'm sure he has great potential but lost the ball, misplaced passes, got caught out of position. The disappointing thing was that I saw no senior players going up to him to reassure and encourage.
Ferdinand 8.5 MOM So calm and assured, mopped up allsorts at the back. Not at his sharpest but a good display
Leonard 7 V anonymous by his standards first half. Real live wire handful in the second
Timlin 7 Also much better in second half but showed his usual commitment without much end product
Yearwood 7.5 Timlin-like commitment with glimpses of real quality. Tried some audacious balls that sometimes came off. Serious engine
Fortune 8 Held the ball up well and got various moves started but lacked support.

Subs

Top stuff, mate.

Thank you from those of us who weren't there.

To be fair , if we actually break it down, we are 1 point better off still this season than last .. what did we miss out the play offs by ?

No, what I expect every single club through a season is to have a bad spell plus a great spell. If our start this season was with a full squad at the disposal of the manager , yes I too would be questioning what was happening, but we haven't that luxery at the moment. People can harp on about the help the aged squad , but actually 3 important players are nothing to do with age , Coker , Wordy and also kiernan , 3 big players that also impact the other players that have to play in different positions to cover.

I've seen pluses this season, Blackburn we showed what we could do.
We held on to Lenny for the season
White winning some of the boo boys over
Elvis , Yearwood , Harry etc

I will , for the time being reserve judgement , whilst others I appreciate love this time in the season to jump into Brown. I can understand why he divides opinion , he is of that nature , however whether people like it or not , his record ( overall ) is actually very good for us. Bumps along the way , nature of the beast , but when the chips are down, I'm not 100% sure that the wider picture is viewed and people become slightly tunnelled in their vision, which again, if you look at the current injury list and results is easy to do, I do appreciate that .

Full squad at our disposal is key. Last season we got players in after the season started. Lesson learnt and we got players in earlier. Turner and Kiernan were both known to have injuries when they joined. Coker was unlucky but why do we have so many injuries?

There are definite plus's. As you say, Elvis, Yearwood and even Harry getting game time is great but I fear this only happened because of our injuries and without these injuries, these players wouldn't have good a look in. I just hope some of them keep their places

Haven't we been here before? Was it last season when we turned it all around? I still have my £5 on them going up. COYBB

Indeed and it was 12 games in before we started to turn it around last season .Looking at the bright side we're 1 point better off now than we were at this stage last season.

Wasn't there to be fair, so can't comment beyond it sounded as though we were holding our own largely, we were much better in the second half, and we couldnt score for toffee! I think we are so busy trying to defend and not lose that we have massively lost confidence with the shooting boots :stunned:

For whatever the reason, we have a cobbled together side, with some not quite ready youngsters gaining very valuable game time and doing a credible job. This has obviously been a strategic decision, rather than go out into the loan market, and while this hasn't paid off in terms of results, imagine the outcry if we had pulled in 3-4 relatively untested youngsters from other clubs, and got the same results, when we have our own home grown but untested talent pool in our own ranks!!

Despite the obvious issue of losing 7 on the bounce
, there are still a lot of positives in the mix. There are many factors at play here, and while the manager needs to take some responsibility, I think that the number of injuries we have suffered is the worst I have seen. Yes, some of these players are somewhat injury prone, but never have I seen all of them missing at the same time. I have also been critical of team selection, tactics etc, and I have wondered sometimes about signings, but to be fair, PB does know his stuff, he works with this group of players and I have been proven wrong more than once so I am happy to not continue criticising.

perspective is needed guys. It is early September, not the end of March! We do have a decent squad, which will heal and get back to playing soon. The same groans of doom were ringing around the Hall last season, yet we were 1 point off the play offs at the end. There is nothing going on that suggests that we can't be in that position again, and surely it is better to have the inevitable poor run at the start of the season rather than at the business end??

Actually ,we haven't lost "7 on the bounce." Though it's quite true we haven't won since the opening day of the season.:dim:

I'm not going to be a Phil brown knocker All I will say he wants to thank his lucky stars he is manager of SOUTHEND UNITED .Because for some reason it keep him employed .Enough said on that point .

Subs

Cheers for the above .... a story of the season I would say, so far, apart from Rotherham..... the key word to sum up the start of the season for me would be "frustration".

Sounds like the usual problems under Brown- poor set pieces, not enough willingness to shoot and not enough bodies in the box. Fortune and Robinson playing poorly, why not give Ba or one of the young strikers a chance? Inject some youthful exuberance!

I said earlier that Ba wouldn't get a run out.

TBV were a bit quiet because it was a Tuesday night and hardly local. Just a guess there.

Back