• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Maybe, but it's a huge risk to trust Lenny to deliver though. I am not sure PB has it in him to take that chance.....

Why would he not try his hardest? Another season like he did last season and the championship teams will be falling over themselves to offer him big wages next season. If he is poor all season, then he'll possibly end up staying with us anyway! The only time that he MAY have incentive to play less well is near the end of the season when he wouldn't want to be risking injury.

I would be amazed if Phil was happy with Lenny being talked out of it.
PB is ruthless, if players want out, or he wants them out, then he wants them gone asap.
A player who's not mentally in the right spot from day 1 of the new season will be viewed as useless to PB.
Ron and Phil don't always communicate that well, I wonder how much Phil knew about this?

Yeah, I bet the manager is gutted his best player has been talked out of handing in a transfer request

PB is ruthless, if players want out, or he wants them out, then he wants them gone asap.
A player who's not mentally in the right spot from day 1 of the new season will be viewed as useless to PB.
Ron and Phil don't always communicate that well, I wonder how much Phil knew about this?

Really ?....A bloke called Michael Kightly might tell you different.

I still expect him to leave. Ron can't show weakness. No matter what he says, every player has his price and a hard stance will test Sheffield United's commitment to signing the player. I feel if Blades come back in with a proper offer eg £700k plus add-ons, Ron will let Lenny go.

A good replacement in that position is vital with two ageing, slow centre backs.

And this I think is the nub of it- can PB identify realistic replacements that we can afford? The answer could be:
- no (in which case whatever the offer it will look unattractive..)
- yes but on big wages and possibly a fee as well (in which case there will be a high minimum we can accept)
- yes, within what we can afford and lined up (in which case hard ball to max fee)

I suspect it either the first or second (quite possibly the first which will explain a lot)

Maybe, but it's a huge risk to trust Lenny to deliver though. I am not sure PB has it in him to take that chance.....

Would this be the same PB who has spent his evenings in Spain convincing Lenny to stay, or is there another PB at the club ?

Why would he not try his hardest? Another season like he did last season and the championship teams will be falling over themselves to offer him big wages next season. If he is poor all season, then he'll possibly end up staying with us anyway! The only time that he MAY have incentive to play less well is near the end of the season when he wouldn't want to be risking injury.

The mind works in mysterious ways, the last few weeks ups and downs could have a psychological impact on performance.

In reply to that, I can only quote the last couple of sentences of the retraction of contract article, where PB states.............

"But the club’s position has been consistent throughout and the chairman has told Sheffield United to go away, without being disrespectful. “I’m happy to hear that because I know how important Ryan is for us.”

Yeah, I bet the manager is gutted his best player has been talked out of handing in a transfer request

If Phil is 100% sure that Lennys mental state is perfect then I am sure he is delighted. Only Phil, Lenny and Ron know....

This is pure guesswork on my part, but maybe Lenny has changed his mind after seeing we have brought in Hendrie and Kightly.
"Now then, Self, do I want to be part of this?" *thinks* Well, actually, yes I do."

"Really ?....A bloke called Michael Kightly might tell you different."

As I said, they "don't always".....

In reply to that, I can only quote the last couple of sentences of the retraction of contract article, where PB states.............

"But the club’s position has been consistent throughout and the chairman has told Sheffield United to go away, without being disrespectful. “I’m happy to hear that because I know how important Ryan is for us.”

What do you expect him to say......

This is pure guesswork on my part, but maybe Lenny has changed his mind after seeing we have brought in Hendrie and Kightly.
"Now then, Self, do I want to be part of this?" *thinks* Well, actually, yes I do."

Shouldn't think so, they have both been in for a week or so, this has been developing more in the last few days.

Cut both Ron and Phil a bit of slack .They are going about things in the correct manner .Even if Lenny stays or goes .Why should our chirman and manager roll over to the big boys with money to burn .Sheffield united spent many years in league one .And with a bit of luck they could end up going back that way at the end of the season .And Lenny would then realise he has done the right thin sticking with it for one more season .

"Really ?....A bloke called Michael Kightly might tell you different."

As I said, they "don't always".....

Well they do over Ryan Leonard. This will disappoint you but PB has very impressed with Ron so far.

We may want to keep him, but it's pretty clear that he wants to play Championship football now, not next season. I agree that Ron has played a solid game so far, but if Sheffield or Millwall make the right offer then Lenny's gone.

Which is probably why Lenny withdrew his transfer request. That may have been part of the discussion between Lenny and RM. RM may well have said you don't need a transfer request, if a good enough offer comes along we'll sell you, but so far that hasn't happened.

Well they do over Ryan Leonard. This will disappoint you but PB has very impressed with Ron so far.

Not sure what angle you are creating here but if Ron and Phil are joined up on this then all is good!

Time will tell if they are or not.

Is it not in RMs best interest to sell Lenny now? If he sees out his contract, he walks for nothing at the end of the season.

The counter argument is if we keep Lenny, we lose out on 500k maybe. He goes at the end if the season for nothing but helps us into the championship where we earn a lot more than 500k

Is it not in RMs best interest to sell Lenny now? If he sees out his contract, he walks for nothing at the end of the season.

The counter argument is if we keep Lenny, we lose out on 500k maybe. He goes at the end if the season for nothing but helps us into the championship where we earn a lot more than 500k

Rock and a hard place...

Back