• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I don't think it's fair to blame the W block for the idiot fans we have. I love the work they do there and love hearing the noise coming from that area, it's only natural that these prats who think they are in a football hooligan film will want to be in the noisiest area of the ground, I think we should focus on the individuals rather than the area as the blue voice IMO has been a massive success story. I'm not a big singer myself as I'm rubbish at multitasking and have trouble concentrating on the game and chants at the same time but do feel a sense of pride listening to those fans from my seat in the south upper.

Yes. Of course. We can always manipulate stats to change a story... Those Southend hooligans... no... more accurately put... Those few ill educated scumbags.

The W block is a disgrace to the club
First post on the site and you manage to write something that is both dumb and manages to alienate several hundred people at the same time - well done.I look forward to reading more of your well founded educated posts.

Last edited:
Good post and I agree that W block do really help the atmosphere at RH. The big question though, the nobheads that do this lurk in that block and I understand that those around them are loath to offer them up to Security when a flare or smoke bomb gets let off. So how do we stop them consistently ignoring the fact that they are hurting the club? In times past the most effective way for a nuisance to be controlled in the West was by someone having a 'strong' word with them, normally without force being necessary. Little chance of that happening now maybe.

Yeah it is hard to know the situation when you don't sit in that area of the ground. If you are guy who has come to the football to have a few beers and enjoy yourself and sing your heart out without doing anything that would cause the club trouble then should you be expected to police the fans that are idiots? And maybe get some lip or started on for your efforts? For me that area needs sensible but firm stewarding.

The W block is a disgrace to the club

You sir/madam/young man .....are a knob. :dunce:

Yes the "roughtie tufties" are all "giving it large" with big segregation ...they were noticeably absent when Cambridge, Luton and Millwall came down last season.

It happens at all clubs, I don't have the answer I'm afraid...maybe everyone should sit a maturity test and based upon the result, be allocated a seat (or special pen) , where we can throw buns at them :Red card:

Genuine question here. Are English flares more dangerous than those used abroad? I've sat in a stand where there were flares (loads) going off getting lobbed pitchside and dealt with by the stewards with no real drama.

Actually created a better atmosphere. I'm also asthmatic and I'm still breathing fine.

No. A smoke bomb is never going to cause a fire but those are the rules. No problem if you want them banned for various reasons but the over stated risk of fire is not one of them. The smoke is not something you want your kids or elderly parents to breath in so why allow them. Lets just say we did, then the danger would come when people (not the brightest) would start making home made bombs. Who knows what might end up being chucked around.

On that note the ban or fine should be for the individual not the whole club, same as the Col U 'incident' last season.

Personally I would rather see some of the older idiots in the East stand who abuse our players after five minutes, lead out of the ground and banned. You spoil my day far more than a smoke bomb ever could.

Good post and I agree that W block do really help the atmosphere at RH. The big question though, the nobheads that do this lurk in that block and I understand that those around them are loath to offer them up to Security when a flare or smoke bomb gets let off. So how do we stop them consistently ignoring the fact that they are hurting the club? In times past the most effective way for a nuisance to be controlled in the West was by someone having a 'strong' word with them, normally without force being necessary. Little chance of that happening now maybe.

I told the steward who the lad was who done it, then watched as that same lad enjoyed the rest of the game from another part of the block. They didn't do nothing.

I told the steward who the lad was who done it, then watched as that same lad enjoyed the rest of the game from another part of the block. They didn't do nothing.

Anything. They didn't do anything....

Right, so, I am quite old now and I sit in the East Stand listening to bile being hurled at managers and players a like. I agree with whoever said some of these should be led out after a few minutes so the rest of us can enjoy the game (or sleep) without having to quietly "tsk" under our breath. That said, I've not always been old and I used to enjoy a bit of a singsong myself, sometimes fuelled by alcohol. So surely, its a live and let live situation. Games are better with a bit of atmosphere, and W block provides that. I don't want to go there myself, but I would have done if it had existed 20 years ago. Yeah, we don't want numpties and their smoke bombs risking fines for the club and sore eyes and throats for everyone else or dunderheads waving their fists at visiting fans, but let's not hammer the vast majority of our guys who just for a singsong and to support the club. And who do it very well.

Anything. They didn't do anything....

Right, so, I am quite old now and I sit in the East Stand listening to bile being hurled at managers and players a like. I agree with whoever said some of these should be led out after a few minutes so the rest of us can enjoy the game (or sleep) without having to quietly "tsk" under our breath. That said, I've not always been old and I used to enjoy a bit of a singsong myself, sometimes fuelled by alcohol. So surely, its a live and let live situation. Games are better with a bit of atmosphere, and W block provides that. I don't want to go there myself, but I would have done if it had existed 20 years ago. Yeah, we don't want numpties and their smoke bombs risking fines for the club and sore eyes and throats for everyone else or dunderheads waving their fists at visiting fans, but let's not hammer the vast majority of our guys who just for a singsong and to support the club. And who do it very well.

I don't think the majority of posts here are having a pop at the whole of W block. The bottom line is that there are naughty children hiding within their midst. How can the naughtiest of these be convinced that it's very naughty to let off smoke bombs?

At Saturday’s game, I noticed an interaction between fans that I wanted to share, but didn’t. Either because it’d be too long, uninteresting or knowing my writing ability - wouldn’t make sense... But in light of this thread I thought, why not...

On my way to Roots Hall passing The Blue Boar you had Gillingham fans, not causing a problem as such, but being a nuisance. Perhaps making a joke as a Shrimper passed, obstructing their path, much of nothing and very pointless.

I got my ticket online Saturday and wasn’t sure if that meant anything different when collecting tickets. I went to the the north east corner as I usually would and as Bearded Shrimper had said. As I walked through the car park there were two groups of supports, one Gillingham, one Southend, and each accompanied with a disabled person. They stopped introduced themselves, the Southend fan in the wheelchair was insistent on shaking everybody's hand and then started a conversation. In passing I didn’t hear much of what was said but I walked away thinking what a great sight. The sign read ‘East Stand Tickets’ and thought it must be in the club shop as my ticket was in the west stand as Up The Shrimpers had said. So I walked back to the club shop and they were still talking. After queuing for a while I was told I was right all along and headed back towards to north east corner and yes, they were still talking. The guy ahead of me, his season ticket hadn’t arrived, and it too a while to organise a ticket for him for the day…

As I left the car park ticket in hand of course they were still there. But by walking backwards and forwards a few times I managed to get an idea of what they were talking about. They were sharing stories about grounds they liked, disliked and the general difficulties they have. You don't see that between other supporters...

Frankly, both sets of fans let off smoke bombs if I remember rightly and conducted themselves in a way which is deemed ‘acceptable’ at a game of football. It’s like there’s a difference between being a fan and a person.

Personally, I think this is a false flag operation by "someone" within the club. Whilst you're all talking about smoke bombs & atmospheres, no-one is mentioning new stadiums

:sherlock:

I got my ticket online Saturday and wasn’t sure if that meant anything different when collecting tickets. I went to the the north east corner as I usually would and as Bearded Shrimper had said. As I walked through the car park there were two groups of supports, one Gillingham, one Southend, and each accompanied with a disabled person. They stopped introduced themselves, the Southend fan in the wheelchair was insistent on shaking everybody's hand and then started a conversation. In passing I didn’t hear much of what was said but I walked away thinking what a great sight. The sign read ‘East Stand Tickets’ and thought it must be in the club shop as my ticket was in the west stand as Up The Shrimpers had said. So I walked back to the club shop and they were still talking. After queuing for a while I was told I was right all along and headed back towards to north east corner and yes, they were still talking. The guy ahead of me, his season ticket hadn’t arrived, and it too a while to organise a ticket for him for the day…

As I left the car park ticket in hand of course they were still there. But by walking backwards and forwards a few times I managed to get an idea of what they were talking about. They were sharing stories about grounds they liked, disliked and the general difficulties they have. You don't see that between other supporters...

They were probably saying "Who's that doughnut* who keeps walking past"

Seriously, good story.:thumbsup:

*seaside

If it carries on I think the club will consider shutting w block. Those with season tickets will have to find another seat. Would be a huge shame as the majority of singing comes from there but I would agree with the club if it meant we avoided fines.

Been mentioned before but perhaps those in w block should let the club know who it is?

Shut W Block, and you effectively end any positive support for our players !! Yes, there are some in there that are causing problems, but it comes with the territory i'm afraid. Isn't it the job of the stewards and the in-ground CCTV (if they can be bothered to pay for it) to police it and take away those responsible ?...not fellow supporters.

Yet again this argument rears its ugly head again. The usual thing happens:

W Block supporters get defensive and come out saying that the whole world won't revolve if it wasn't for them.

The fans who don't like W Block think that it should be disbanded because of the trouble.

W Block supporters then say that if they weren't allowed in there Roots Hall would be a library and the players would pretty much down tools.

Then people start banging about flares! They aren't flares it's smoke bombs.

Then we get some people who never post supporting w block saying everyone else is a ******.

Here's an idea guys, give the ****** signs a rest, stop trying to get at the away fans. And don't be a ****ing dicks keep bringing smoke bombs in because it's going to cost our club and it's only you guys that will suffer!

By all means get tanked up have a bit of 'bantz' with the away fans and sing up! It's all about being that 12th man and giving the team that extra boost because we bloody need it at the moment!

Back