• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Evening Echo

The News
SOUTHEND United staged a stunning second half fight-back to see off Walsall 3-2 in a thrilling encounter at Roots Hall this afternoon.

More...

Walsall...

One thing that did make me laugh, was the scoreboard after Coxy's strike, read Southend 2 Walsall 3 :dim:

Game of 2 halves - that's all I can muster at the moment, great 3 points though.

Question; When was the last time we came back from 2 down to win???

First half. Worst half of the season. Poor tactics and woeful defending allowed walsall 2 goals from nothing.

Second half. Best of the season. Attacking threat,3 goals, correct use of players and a well deserved win.

The atmosphere in the West today was cracking.

Dreadful first half, nothing came together. First 10 minutes of the second half: A bit better, but still poor.
Last 30 minutes: WOW! Incredible performance, if we play like that for the rest of the season we'll be right up there. Very impressed.
TBV were brilliant as usual, no matter what the score. From 2-1 onwards the West was bouncing.
Great day out at the Hall

Got home at half time and turned the radio on to find out we were 0-2 down to Franck Moussa :'(. The second half sounded like a fantastic half of football, a great win that showed real character. :thumbsup:

walsall two efforts in first half two goals. ranger at least that but missed.
Walsall offered little and once Ranger scored it was a different game.

One question was team selection. What was that all about
Subs changed the game
Great finish

First half. Worst half of the season. Poor tactics and woeful defending allowed walsall 2 goals from nothing.

Dreadful first half, nothing came together.

Always amazes me how goals seem to rewrite the story. We were definitely poor against an equally poor Walsall but we carved them up beautifully on 2-3 occasions just as they did to us. If Ranger had put away the chances (as for me he really should have done), we'd have been 2-0 up and cruising before they even troubled us.

From what I saw, there was nothing wrong with the formation first half today. We just didn't take our chances before openong the door for Walsall to get into a game they were nowhere near. We (Ranger) might not have taken he chances but we surely created them.

Incredible afternoon. Hard to pick a MOTM, but hats off to all 3 subs who all came on totally up for it and all contributed massively. Incredible, just incredible.

Amos is not the answer, for all the people on here clamouring for him to start.

Walsall had two shots in the opening half, and scored both of them.

Inniss is awful.

Thomson should of come back in unless her wasn't 100%

Brown got it spectacularly wrong.

We got away with it in the last 30 minutes.

Walsall were terrible.

And this is why I'm a blue... the ups and downs of this club are frustrating and wonderful all in the space of a couple of hours ......!!!!

Amos is not the answer, for all the people on here clamouring for him to start.

Walsall had two shots in the opening half, and scored both of them.

Inniss is awful.

Thomson should of come back in unless her wasn't 100%

Brown got it spectacularly wrong.

We got away with it in the last 30 minutes.

Walsall were terrible.

I agree with at least 5 of your 7 points but still don't understand how Ranger missing two sitters before Walsall scored from their only two chances (one after Ted kicked the straight to their winger) shows Brown getting it spectacularly wrong?

Sadly for Amos, he wasn't able to dictate the game or have a huge impact, but I think that will come for him in time. I think there's definitely a very good power in there with a great future.

I agree with at least 5 of your 7 points but still don't understand how Ranger missing two sitters before Walsall scored from their only two chances (one after Ted kicked the straight to their winger) shows Brown getting it spectacularly wrong?

Sadly for Amos, he wasn't able to dictate the game or have a huge impact, but I think that will come for him in time. I think there's definitely a very good power in there with a great future.
We was poor in the first half, I don't see where you're going with this? Maybe Ranger had a couple of chances but we didn't create much else. We've been plying 4-4-2 all season then all of a sudden Brown changes 4-2-3-1 - didn't understand that personally.

Always amazes me how goals seem to rewrite the story. We were definitely poor against an equally poor Walsall but we carved them up beautifully on 2-3 occasions just as they did to us. If Ranger had put away the chances (as for me he really should have done), we'd have been 2-0 up and cruising before they even troubled us.

From what I saw, there was nothing wrong with the formation first half today. We just didn't take our chances before openong the door for Walsall to get into a game they were nowhere near. We (Ranger) might not have taken he chances but we surely created them.
Totally agree with this, we had the best of the first half and simply failed to take our opportunities. They didn't have any chances other than the two they scored and we had plenty of our own. Sure, we had to change the system to get more bodies up front second half but I don't think the original setup failed.

We haven't been very good of late going into this game and PB picked a changed line up. I believe he did it to get the midfield balance back and going forward rather than slow slow side side side etc.
He tried it, and in the main it didn't work as the Nile alone up top isn't the way IMO.
Amos did OK and showed he has skill, Inniss looked slow in pace and thinking?
We conceded too simple but well taken finishes from Mouse BUT Nile could have scored from two easy(ish) headers and their gk did a great tip over from Woody shot.
PB gave it a short while in 2nd half and made the changes when worried Inniss could have got 2nd red. Correct subs and change in formation.
All us after that, could have been more too.
Maybe we can now put the "slow slow side side" mentality back in the box and carry on as we finished this game.
Full game time for Ranger and Anton, no apparent injuries,
Onwards and upwards!
UTB!

You lose like that , in our position , after the indifferent run recently and it finishes your season .... now , you win like that, making it 2 wins in 2, it reminds you what your capable of !

Second half was immense. Character being the key factor.

Felt for Amos, didn't do a huge amount wrong. But you saw hurt in that team, some of Atko's tackles showed that . I questioned the players at half time, I said they needed to look at themselves in the mirror, boy did they respond.

You can't ask more than what we got in the second half, the ran, they battled, they believed ... this belief and character I think tells me that we can achieve the Play offs, what we do after that , who knows !

The quality of squad was the difference today, most teams would kill for that bench !

Cox proved beyond all doubt just of his class when he came on.

Mom for me, Lenny, worked tirelessly again, followed by Ranger ( if he had bagged that second header first half , it would have been a different game - but maybe not as enjoyable, because did I love that last 30 mins... I'm still buzzing I think )

UTB's

We were the better side in the first half, barring two very poor defensive errors allowing them to score from their only 2 chances of the match (what was Ted doing with his kick to White??). Ranger had two free headers that he really should have done better with and Wordsworth forced a great save from their keeper with a volley from the edge of the box.

2nd half: the subs all had a massive impact on the game. JD is a much better fullback than White, and White is a better CB than Inniss based on their recent performances. Robinson looked lively and was unlucky not to score himself, and we all know what Cox provided... :thumbsup:

Most important thing is that after a run of poor results we've shown incredible spirit and fight to come back from 2-0 down to win! If that doesn't give the team confidence, then nothing will.

Don't know if anyone has said but rep to anyone who can, from my check, tell the last time we came from 2-0 at half time to win.

Back