• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

This is not "Brown bashing" but I do worry more so with Brown in that the more choice he has the more he considers tinkering.

The cutting back of the loan system has been good in that it has forced Brown to use the players he has ...... but I say (with tongue in cheek) that having so many players coming back into contention could be a bad thing for us ................... :whistling:

I reckon Coxy will have been walking around the dressing room with his chest fully puffed out.:smile:

Having been the main cheerleader on here since Phils arrival for extolling the virtues of having a minimum of four strikers and preferably 6 for cover , competition and variety, delighted that at the start of the season Phil said he had concluded that finally striking was the main problem and he would at last move in this direction to correct it. So delighted with his interview comments at the end. and what a line up we now have upfront, and pretty exciting options too! Anyone remember the " you only need one, or no more than 3 brigade , or the we cant afford it view? All in the past now?

Best game at the Hall for ages....still got a smile now.

Not much more to be said than what others have said, other than:

Lenny - awesome, everywhere as usual, 10/10, need to get him signed up or I fear a decent championship club will grab him in the summer. Fast becoming one of my favourite Blues players of last 30 years.
Smith - poor kicking, at fault second goal, really not sure he has got it.
Inniss - been poor in all games I have seen him, one dimensional, slow on the floor, turned too easily with a bad temperament. Noticed he just walked down the tunnel when subbed. Back to Palace please. Thomson or White CB next game.
Amos - looks a good promising youngster, although not sure time is right for developing him for Spurs, when so much riding on next few games.

When was the last time we scored 3 goals in one game from set piece plays?

Bizarre decision by PB to give Amos his debut today. Wordsworth up front? Madness.

However we started well and could have been 3-0 early on. A fizzing shot just wide by Woody and then excellent delivery - twice - putting the ball onto Ranger's head for him to fluff his lines. But some of the football we played was delightful and 2 of our best moves were started by Amos, perhaps justifying the selection.

Danger man Oztumer went off injured and was replaced by Moussa, who had a warm reception. Up until then, Walsall hadn't really got into our half but their first attacking move saw them get around the back and lay the ball back for Moussa to slot home.

I wasn't worried, it was a blip. We had been the better side by far and this was just one of those lucky things.

Ted Smith then somehow decided it was a good idea to play the ball to a totally isolated John White, who lost it and again the ball was played from the by-line for Moussa to double the lead. Thanks, Franck. No need for the "cupping the hand to the ear" gesture though, no-one was giving you abuse.

Bizarrely, I still wasn't concerned. We were the better side and while at 2-0 we weren't playing the flowing football we had earlier, I felt we were still the better side. Wordsworth had a tremendous shot tipped over by the keeper and we rained crosses into the box, but Ranger on his tod was not getting a lot of change from the defence.

At half time I said that "Next goal wins". I was absolutely convinced we weren't going to draw the game and was also convinced that the second half would start with Cox on for Amos.

WRONG!

Unchanged from the first half, maybe it was a chance for the same players to get us out of the hole. Well, they didn't and after about 10 minutes, a substitution. Cox for Amos surely.

WRONG!

A double sub. Demetriou for Innis and Robinson for Amos.

Again, what do I know? After about 7 or 8 minutes a ball came in from the left and Ranger dive-headed his first Roots Hall goal for us. Game on.

Prior to that, Walsall had sat back to defend and had let us come onto them. Now however, they came out to try and kill the game and had arguably their best spell of the game. This however made it easier for us to get behind them. The wind was playing a part as well as the ball was swirling around all over the shop.

With about 25 minutes left, Cox comes on for Atkinson and a minute later the scores are level. A free kick was played in from the right, knocked across and Ferdinand shin-volleyed it into the net to equalise.

Cue mayhem. Walsall for some reason then subbed the sub. What an eventful game Moussa had; comes on after 15 mins, scores 2 goals and gets subbed after 82 minutes. Clearly a poor move as within a minute, a storming burst by Wordsworth resulted in him being fouled on the edge of the box. Cox majestically curls the free kick into the net to crown a terrific comeback.

The last few minutes were nervy as Walsall tried to get a leveller but we had so many chances in the second half to get further goals. Demetriou had a shot whistle fractionally wide, Woody forced another great save from the keeper, as did Ranger, who also headed fractionally over. We could easily have scored 8 today.

With Millwall and Scunthorpe both slipping up, we need to regain full momentum. No more slip ups.

Ratings -

Smith - 5 - Didn't have a save to make, picked the ball out of the net twice and was directly instrumental in their second. He is a decent keeper and will be a fine keeper in time, but this area worries me. A dreadfully poor Coventry aside, we just can't keep clean sheets anymore.

White - 7 - Solid and performed very well when moved into the centre.
Ferdinand - 8 - Never in trouble. Wonderful captaincy near the end when he was absolutely organising everyone and giving out orders and criticism when needed.
Inniss - 6 - A big presence height wise but never seems to give confidence when the ball is on the floor.
Coker - 7 - Solid enough

Atkinson - 7 - Industrious as ever
Leonard - 8.5 - MOM - Everywhere and is clearly suffering with hamstring issues. Needs a rest to be honest.
Amos - 6.5 - Pleased for the lad to make his debut, was involved early on but faded
McLaughlin - 7 - Happy to see him back. I'm sure he will be back in the goals soon.

Wordsworth - 7.5 - Unlucky not to score but he didn't play an up front role.
Ranger - 8 - A real handful but should have had a hat trick

Subs -

Cox - 7.5 - Quality winning goal
Demetriou - 8 - Improved the defence and attack
Robinson - 8 - PAce and power worried Walsall once he was on

Ref - 8 - Best for quite a while

Last edited:
He didn't concede anything - he said his tactics were spot on the first half the stats showed we had more goal attempts than Walsall. All us empty heads wanted changes at half time but he knew better and kept the same team and only changed it because Innis was in danger of a second yellow.

So, the changes that created the come back were only made because Inniss was on a second yellow and not through some tactical genius.

'Rattus' has it right, above.

Too many options sometimes result in PB trying to be too clever.

Bottom line is he set up to counteract their threat, as much as anything positive for us.

He played one up today, but his interview intimated that two will be his preferred option from now on. Indirectly, that is conceding that it didn't work.

I'll lay a wager that he won't play today's starting system again this season.

This is not "Brown bashing" but I do worry more so with Brown in that the more choice he has the more he considers tinkering.

The cutting back of the loan system has been good in that it has forced Brown to use the players he has ...... but I say (with tongue in cheek) that having so many players coming back into contention could be a bad thing for us ................... :whistling:

I reckon Coxy will have been walking around the dressing room with his chest fully puffed out.:smile:

I agree with most of this ... however also , flip side of the coin. The squad of players at his disposal meant that changes could be made to win it . So , yes, agree, 1st half team and formation was not great , but look at what we had to change it. Ron deserves credit here as well .

Surprised there's not been more mention of Ron Martin coming on the pitch at the end.......

From the match reports I've read it's pleasing to hear the team kept on pressing after their 3rd goal. Brilliant comeback.

As soon as Cox lined up to take the free kick I told my son the ball was going in the back of the net. I also told him that the Walsall fans attendance would be 228. When it was announced as 228, he nearly fell off his chair

Ok Webby that's it! I'm getting seriously concerned. Two positive posts in the same evening :smile:

Brown got away with one today IMO. Playing one up front at home :facepalm:. Even so Walsall were fortunate to be two up at half time and our second half performance was scintillating at times, PB redeemed himself IMO with some good substitutions in the second half.

Smith 6 - Didn't really have too much to do, no chance with the first, I'll have to watch the second again before judging.

White 6 - Both Walsall's goals were down his side, he didn't do enough to cut out either cross IMO, especially the first. Redeemed himself somewhat with a near faultless performance at CB.
Ferdinand 8 - After a shaky (by his standards) performance v Port Vale he was back to his best today, fantastic goal too! :happy:
Inness 4 - Very poor, looked scared every time he had the ball, and a poor clearance led to Moussa's second.
Coker 7 - Nothing spectacular but he was solid enough and tried to get forward too.

Atkinson 7 - As usual he worked hard and produced a cracking cross for Ranger's goal.
Leonard 8 - MOM So good in the defensive midfield role, kept us going, I loved he's rallying call after the first goal!:Worthy:
Amos 6 - TBF I felt sorry for him. He certainly showed a good touch and made a couple of good passes. I just can't see him fitting in to a 4 man midfield. I'm left asking why on earth PB's signed him when we play best with a 4-4-2?:unsure:
Wordsworth 7 - Big improvement, that volley first half would have been goal of the season if it wasn't straight at the keeper. Definitely looked like he was trying to prove a point defensively too, I certainly couldn't fault his work rate today.
McLaughlin 7 - First half he looked a bit subdued, once we started attacking more in the second half he was more like his old self.
Ranger 7 - Great to see him get his first Roots Hall goal and he was a nuisance to Walsall's defence all game. However he probably should have had more than one goal, some very good chances were wasted, especially in the first half.

SUBS

Demetriou 8 - Looked like the benching fired him up. Positive when going forward and made no mistakes defensively.
Robinson 8 - By far the best he's played at home since his return, scared Walsall silly by running at them with pace and was unlucky not to score.
Cox 8 - That free kick!:Worthy:

The players certainly still believe, back to 4-4-2 next week please Phil.

Surprised there's not been more mention of Ron Martin coming on the pitch at the end.......

I was so annoyed by that, where were you when we were **** Ron? Oh yeah not paying your staff (allegedly :unsure:). Spoiled the deserved lap of honour for me. As soon as I saw Ron I scarpered.

Brown got away with one today IMO. Playing one up front at home :facepalm:. Even so Walsall were fortunate to be two up at half time and our second half performance was scintillating at times, PB redeemed himself IMO with some good substitutions in the second half.

Smith 6 - Didn't really have too much to do, no chance with the first, I'll have to watch the second again before judging.

White 6 - Both Walsall's goals were down his side, he didn't do enough to cut out either cross IMO, especially the first. Redeemed himself somewhat with a near faultless performance at CB.
Ferdinand 8 - After a shaky (by his standards) performance v Port Vale he was back to his best today, fantastic goal too! :happy:
Inness 4 - Very poor, looked scared every time he had the ball, and a poor clearance led to Moussa's second.
Coker 7 - Nothing spectacular but he was solid enough and tried to get forward too.

Atkinson 7 - As usual he worked hard and produced a cracking cross for Ranger's goal.
Leonard 8 - MOM So good in the defensive midfield role, kept us going, I loved he's rallying call after the first goal!:Worthy:
Amos 6 - TBF I felt sorry for him. He certainly showed a good touch and made a couple of good passes. I just can't see him fitting in to a 4 man midfield. I'm left asking why on earth PB's signed him when we play best with a 4-4-2?:unsure:
Wordsworth 7 - Big improvement, that volley first half would have been goal of the season if it wasn't straight at the keeper. Definitely looked like he was trying to prove a point defensively too, I certainly couldn't fault his work rate today.
McLaughlin 7 - First half he looked a bit subdued, once we started attacking more in the second half he was more like his old self.
Ranger 7 - Great to see him get his first Roots Hall goal and he was a nuisance to Walsall's defence all game. However he probably should have had more than one goal, some very good chances were wasted, especially in the first half.

SUBS

Demetriou 8 - Looked like the benching fired him up. Positive when going forward and made no mistakes defensively.
Robinson 8 - By far the best he's played at home since his return, scared Walsall silly by running at them with pace and was unlucky not to score.

And most of the home crowd too.

SUBS

Did it? Thought it was from a Ted Smith goal kick.

Great result today after going 0-2 down!! Thought the lads were exceptional second half!! Why was words worth up font? With all the talent we have on the bench? Amos is a reserve at spurs for a reason looked out of his depth at league 1 level! Theos pace changed the game and macoughlin was super throughout!!! Innis not as good as thompson and resting demitriou done the trick

Not quite an answer to your question,but we came from 3-1 down against Chesterfield in Feb 2006 to win 3-4.
No I'm pretty sure we went 2-1 up, Eastwood scored a penalty then a few minutes later he scored again. So we must have come back from 3-2 down to win that one.

Back