• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Another vote for the 0-2 home defeat by Boston. We were rubbish. They weren't much better but easily beat us. No real skill on display, no atmosphere (only about 2,000 fans IIRC), no passion anywhere I the ground or on the pitch.

Sadly seen many a poor game,like that one written before v Notts Co..2-5.
But one of the biggest disappointing games was v Carlisle Utd..should have been played on 2nd Jan 1971,but was postponed for a few days(pitch)...we then saw the cup draw...the winner plays at home to SPURS...we got a good crowd in,but got beat easily 0-3.GUTTED

Not at Roots Hall, but the 6-1 loss at Crystal Palace. It was on my 15th birthday 28th September 1996 and I was very excited to be going to an away game with Palace supporting friends family. We were terrible and his granddad wouldn't stop farting in the car on the way home, both Southend united and that car stunk that day.

Cricko always mentions watching the Division 3 South match against Bristol Rovers in 1922 and how the 0-0 game bored him senseless.

Including 1-0 to Doncaster Rovers in 1998.

oh god, I must have blocked that one out of my mind. The nadir of the Alvin Martin era. I can't believe he stayed on after that.

Or maybe I just conflated that one with the Chester defeat. Both dire games and dire defeats to teams bottom of the Conference.

FA Cup game against Chester in the very late 70's or very early 80's. A 4 nil tonking I'd rather forget.

Nor me, watched that one (through my fingers) in the Paddock. IIRC a young Ian Rush played for them that day (?)

Just before his time, I think, 'jaffa'

I know Ian Edwards scored a hat-trick.

v Bristol Rovers, lost 1-0, they scored in the first 5 minutes, never ventured into our half of the pitch again and we spent the rest of the game huffing and puffing, never looking like scoring - and AND we missed 2 (TWO) penalties.
This is a cheat - the first half against Rushdon and Diamonds on a Boxing Day, we were awful, went in 0-2 down at half time, only time I have ever booed the lads off the field. Second half - totally different and we win 4-2

I think every home match against Bury in the 70s ended 0-0!

71-72 0-0
74/75 1-0
75/76 2-0
78/79 0-0
79-80 0-0
80-81 1-0

them something went wrong 83/84 3-3.

Must be our most boring fixtures against any one
1987/8 1-0
1988/89 1-1
1990/91 2-1
2002/3 1-2
2003/4 1-0
2004/5 1-0
2010/11 1-1
2013/14 0-0
2014/15 1-1
2015/16 4-1 oops
2016/17 1-0
2017/18 1-0
Boring and Bury seem to go together...............

Nor me, watched that one (through my fingers) in the Paddock. IIRC a young Ian Rush played for them that day (?)

According to Wiki, Rush's last game for Chester was against us on 26 April 1980 when he was 18. He probably played at Roots Hall in December 79. The cup tie was Jan 77. Chester finished 13th in Div 3. We were 10th in Div 4.

Not at Roots Hall, but the 6-1 loss at Crystal Palace. It was on my 15th birthday 28th September 1996 and I was very excited to be going to an away game with Palace supporting friends family. We were terrible and his granddad wouldn't stop farting in the car on the way home, both Southend united and that car stunk that day.

Still the only game I've left before the end, it was that bad..........missed our goal of course...

"Not at Roots Hall, but the 6-1 loss at Crystal Palace. It was on my 15th birthday 28th September 1996 and I was very excited to be going to an away game with Palace supporting friends family. We were terrible and his granddad wouldn't stop farting in the car on the way home, both Southend united and that car stunk that day."

Ah, the beautiful game!

Admittedly an away game but want to share to exorcise the memory!

Sunderland away 1987, left with a couple of minutes to go at 5-0 down, heard a cheer and assumed it to be the final whistle. Then heard another cheer and realised they had scored a 6th but hoped this really was the final whistle. Then ANOTHER cheer which again we hoped was the final whistle but of course turned out to be another goal. At last we heard a cheer which was confirmed to be the end of the game and we had lost 7-0!

At work next day and desk full of cans of 7 Up from my colleagues!

I was just looking at the other ‘best ever memory at RH’ thread, and it got me thinking about those goppingly bad, mind bogglingly spirit crushing home defeats that we’ve made such a glorious habit of at times down the years. I hope you’ve had your dinner and are wearing strong underwear before you consider your responses to this one guys n gals.

For me, the one that comes galloping to mind was an utterly turgid 3-0 home defeat to Halifax Town, 17th February 2001 (ironically, 17 years to the day before our home match against Pompey this weekend - I hope that’s not an omen!). That was in David Webb’s second spell too! Halifax were utter, utter gash but for some reason we played like we’d never heard of the game of football before. Shocking.

That's one of the first games I remember going to watch, I know I'd been a few times before but as a youngster got distracted and didn't really pay too much attention,, that Christmas time I got right into SUFC and the Halifax game will forever haunt me I remember walking out the ground with my Dad and knowing I had the shrimpers bug after that!

Can't remember any specific games during this period but around 1984 (I can't remember dates) we were potential candidates for re-election. I remember shuffling along the West stand at half time as part of an ever decreasing "crowd".

Football "chat" on getting home was something like this ......

"How did you get on?"
"Lost again."
"Oh never mind."

2004 January v York on a freezing Tuesday 0.0

Not a shot on goal, crowd under 3,000 and a young Michael Kightly on the bench

Funny enough the crowd was brilliant no booing, just ironic cheers when either side got a shot within twenty feet on the goal

Has to be the most dire game I have ever watched to the full time

Sorry but two defeats to the local inbreds stick in my throat.
The first in the 71/72 season 4-1 at home !!!...remember the disbelief in the North Bank and the feeling of just how bad could it get....before going on the 16 game unbeaten run and promotion.
The second the 2007 relegation year 0-3 defeat at Easter I think with Maher getting sent off by Karl Dive good and the s**m supporters singing What's that coming over the hill...relegation, relegation .
Grrrrrrrrr

The second the 2007 relegation year 0-3 defeat at Easter I think with Maher getting sent off by Karl Dive good and the s**m supporters singing What's that coming over the hill...relegation, relegation .
Grrrrrrrrr

This one for me too, the memory this still sends shivers down my spine!

Glad we got to sing that back to them eventually!! I was always hoping that opportunity would happen.

Back