• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Long trips but some of them have good away support especially Sunderland which is good for our club

Yeah I agree, if your going to have to do a long "away day". Sunderland would be the best ground to visit for atmosphere. & should in theory bring a decent support down to the Hall.

Portsmouth sold 6500 last weekend at MK dons ?

and today struggling to sell 1500 at Southend this Saturday ??

Are we a scary club to visit these days ? like Millwall ?

Away fans this year at the Hall have be only taken 60 sometimes I kid you not

I blame the CS Crew ( A Nasty bunch ) been a top firm personally....

Whilst good away support is "money in the bin"..I personally, am not fussed if they bring 47 or 1,800.

Based upon the lower figure, it gives the club ample opportunity to fill the ground with Shrimpers.

Surely it's better to have 8-9k local support - even on a "quid for a kid" - burger, coke and programme - must equal 6k on full price in total ?? UTB

Whilst good away support is "money in the bin"..I personally, am not fussed if they bring 47 or 1,800.

Based upon the lower figure, it gives the club ample opportunity to fill the ground with Shrimpers.

Surely it's better to have 8-9k local support - even on a "quid for a kid" - burger, coke and programme - must equal 6k on full price in total ?? UTB

That's a great point Harry, possibly deserves it's own thread in the new stadium section. Your question opens up a whole can of worms.

Yeah, of course more away fans through the gate brings more money into the club. No questions asked. But, on the other hand it's also important to get the next generation of young Shrimpers through also, such as kids for a quid etc...But that doesn't mean that every kid will get treated to a burger, a coke and a programme within the stadium. Probably chances are, the kids will get taken to the fish house or McDonalds etc before or after a match, and some adults will most likely buy 1 programme to share between them all.

Where on the other hand, most away fans will pay more (as their 95% of them are adults with cash in their pockets) & will grab a drink (non alcoholic sadly at Roots Hall), a burger, and a programme individually. As typically an away day is more of a memorable experience both with a group of mates or with your child.

Should we build a 31,000 stadium the size of MK Dons to support 9,000 away supporters, on the odd occasion that we can get a slice of a big crowd, or should we live within our means in a new stadium, with the option to expand with possible further success?
I would rather have a stadium with about 75% occupancy at best, with an atmosphere. Than a new 31,000 stadium like the Franchise where everyone are rattling around the place, & it sounds like a library.

Fortress Roots Hall, seems to have worked for us against the larger away support this season, namely Blackburn & Charlton. Hopefully we will see Portsmouth and Gillingham off too.

Last edited:
Mods .. Is it worth re-naming the thread title to the official pre-match thread or I could start a new one?

Pompey will fill our away end. They only need to sell about another 150.

Home sales aren't particularly high at this point. I would imagine that home support will be around 7500 and will need to top 8k for our first 10k game of the season.

Do the club do enough locally to advertise games?

Apart from social media and a few boards on the 127.

Sammy and Elvis should definately be out and about locally to try and entice locals and kids to roots hall. This week was half term. Surely they could have toured the royals and the eastgate with balloons and pens etc. Kids love all of that.

I think the club miss a trick in the Basildon area.

Mods .. Is it worth re-naming the thread title to the official pre-match thread or I could start a new one?

As the thread already has the 'Pre-match thread' prefix and it is moving that way, I have edited the title.

MO 'RHB'

So, on to the team selection.

I'm guessing Coxy and MAF will be back starting again, so the question is whether McG gets the nod or something different.

Much as I think Theo might not be a bad shout, I think SCP will go with McG.

Otherwise, it's the same team that started last Saturday, for me.

As others have said, we might be pushing 9,000 for this one and possibly the highest crowd of the season.

:happy:

I've been giving team selection some thought, (necessary in case SCP rings for my opinion), and I'm thinking maybe Demi could move up to the right side of midfield, McLaughlin revert to the left and Elvis could come in to fill the right back berth. I don't dislike McGlashan but I just don't fancy him starting. If Mantom was fit I would move him to centre mid and whack Dru out on the right. Up front I'm presuming that Coxy and Marco will start assuming Mr Cox's personal reasons have cleared up. Otherwise I guess Ladapo to partner Marco.

Pompey will fill our away end. They only need to sell about another 150.

Home sales aren't particularly high at this point. I would imagine that home support will be around 7500 and will need to top 8k for our first 10k game of the season.

Do the club do enough locally to advertise games?

Apart from social media and a few boards on the 127.

Sammy and Elvis should definately be out and about locally to try and entice locals and kids to roots hall. This week was half term. Surely they could have toured the royals and the eastgate with balloons and pens etc. Kids love all of that.

I think the club miss a trick in the Basildon area.

I heard an advert for this weekend's game on Radio Essex yesterday so there is advertising going on.

Cox will be back and start, most likely alongside the rested MAF in attack.
Other than the injured Kites the midfield will be Dru, Tims, MacL AND Theo who will be given his chance to show if he can step up to the plate better than Flash did (at Bury).
Defense;- no change

Yep, like that 'massimo'

Theo is a tough call, but I think having his strength and pace out wide, plus he can cut in and shoot, would give us more shape. I also think he'd be a better bet tracking back than McG.

What are the chances of them opening block x? W is sold out and don't really want to sit/stand anywhere else in the ground.

On club twitter....presume this includes Pompey sales...

Your support has been fantastic and Saturday's game against Portsmouth will be no different with 8,100 tickets sold so far and the @BMWFairfield East Stand completely sold out already!

What are the chances of them opening block x? W is sold out and don't really want to sit/stand anywhere else in the ground.

I would hang on if I were you. Last season after a mix up 2 of us had to get tickets for the South lower and when they opened X block they refused to let us pay extra and swap.

On club twitter....presume this includes Pompey sales...

Your support has been fantastic and Saturday's game against Portsmouth will be no different with 8,100 tickets sold so far and the @BMWFairfield East Stand completely sold out already!

I'm guessing so but that doesn't add up. Pompey had sold almost all of there allocation (ie) 2k. According to the ticketing app we have sold 6500 odd, not including blue seats and corporate. That is surely more than 8100 odd

I've been giving team selection some thought, (necessary in case SCP rings for my opinion), and I'm thinking maybe Demi could move up to the right side of midfield, McLaughlin revert to the left and Elvis could come in to fill the right back berth. I don't dislike McGlashan but I just don't fancy him starting. If Mantom was fit I would move him to centre mid and whack Dru out on the right. Up front I'm presuming that Coxy and Marco will start assuming Mr Cox's personal reasons have cleared up. Otherwise I guess Ladapo to partner Marco.

Some interesting ideas in that paragraph concerning the midfield.

We have 41 points and whilst the threat of relegation has been reduced I do think that we (the club and the fans) should not be complacent. Other clubs below us are also putting runs together. So I would continue to put out almost the same starting XI for the next 3 games or more (Pompey, Oldham, Walsall) and get closer to the 50 point mark before considering more radical changes and allowing C.P. to more fully assess the whole squad.

Back