• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

In advance of the travelling band of Blue boys reports, I have some observations. The result today was totally unacceptable to the supporters. By all accounts it was worse than the Newport game which was poor (I did go). Balanced against that the Blackburn performance was 1st rate and to say that it was a fluke is total rubbish. So why the difference? I guess the answers to that start at 07:00 hrs tomorrow morning and I'm not going to second guess what the answers may be. The league cup result is done and gone and we didn't lose any league points as a result. This result though is another thing altogether, but after two games statistically we have won one and lost one (it sounds better if I tell myself that). There is still a very long way to go and anyone launching a 'Brown Out' assault should remember that before exploding.

On Tuesday after our League Cup embarrassment, Brown said Newport played a "certain way", and just now on BBC Essex he said Rotherham played a "certain way". Presumably Blackburn didn't play a "certain way" last Saturday though.

May I suggest, Mr Brown, that at 7am tomorrow you explain to the players what this "certain way" is, and develop a game plan to overcome it, because it is possible that Plymouth Argyle may decide to play a "certain way" next Saturday.

They played 'a certain way'... Think that's just another way of saying they played 'better than us'?!

Just back from the game and I thought I'd give my thoughts.

a poor performance all round, I honestly can't remember us winning a single ball in the air in the first half, we were that bad. everyone played badly with exception of MAF for a spell in the second half although he is never going to create much if you give him the ball with four players on him.

Cox looked lazy, he seems to almost sulk if he doesn't get his way.

the back 4 at the start of the match were woeful, truly terrible, at the end of the game when ferdinand came onto the pitch he seemed to be struggling to walk so he may have been injured. at one point in the 1st half white was limping so again he might have had a knock. but injuries should not detract from the almost total lack of desire on display.

Their first goal had a blatant handball in the build up however rather than crack on after that we lost focus and a minute later they scored a second and much like at scunny last year out heads dropped and we got a pasting, a much deserved pasting as well.

We had to leave 30 minutes in which will be explained in another thread, suffice to say it was worse than woeful. The hog roast roll before the game was about the best part of the day.

Seen the goals, the defending for all of them is not short of Sunday league.

Anyone else worried about Ferdinand? He looks shot. I mentioned this at the Blackburn game. Either he's carrying a knock, or his legs have gone completely.

Ferdinand was shaky for the last few games of last season. Jury out for me as to whether he is injured or just age related slowness

Marking was non existent, White inexperience at C/H will get shown up by better teams & before anyone says Blackburn were crap!!

White played as well as he could given the poor performances from Ferdinand, Hendrie and Demetriou.

Ferdinand looked like he didn't give a ****

Hendrie was ****

Some comments from the Rotherham fans forum:

Moore and Proctor completely bullied their defence. They just couldn't handle their size and power. Both were pretty mobile too and linked up well. No League 1 side will enjoy coming up against those two. Moore will rightly get the plaudits but Proctor was tremendous. As strong as a bull.

Southend surprised me, they had nothing, couldn't get the ball off us.

What a performance - all worked hard and put a title contender to the sword. Moore is unplayable - not just big but a lovely touch on the deck too.

Some comments from the Rotherham fans forum:

Moore and Proctor completely bullied their defence. They just couldn't handle their size and power. Both were pretty mobile too and linked up well. No League 1 side will enjoy coming up against those two. Moore will rightly get the plaudits but Proctor was tremendous. As strong as a bull.

Southend surprised me, they had nothing, couldn't get the ball off us.

What a performance - all worked hard and put a title contender to the sword. Moore is unplayable - not just big but a lovely touch on the deck too.

we're a title contender?

All I will say is that I am thankful it only stayed at 5.
I have followed this club as most of you know for well over 40 years now and I have to say that the game I witnessed today has to be up there as one of the worst I have seen.
I reckon had we be playing for another 90 mins we still would not have scored. How did Fortune miss that open goal!
I don't think anyone of those players came away with their head held high today and quite frankly if that is the interpretation of a professional footballer then they need to look very closely at their chosen profession.
That aside it is only the second game and we still have time to reflect and turn around so I am not panicking just yet.

Worrying that we have been humbled by Newport and rotherham. Strong direct sides that we always seem to struggle with. Really do need some extra quality in midfield. Coker a massive miss also. Believe hendrie would do better in a wing back formation.

Pathetic, yet strangely predictable after the dire show mid week, I've supported Southend for 30 years and I'm struggling to remember another 5 goal defeat :stunned:

I hope PB reads the riot act, our squad must earn twice the amount Rotherham do, I hope losing that badly embarrisses the majority. #Pathetic

Pathetic, yet strangely predictable after the dire show mid week, I've supported Southend for 30 years and I'm struggling to remember another 5 goal defeat :stunned:

Wolves, Birmingham, Sheffield United, Oxford are a few I can think of plus worse at Sunderland, Crystal Palace, Gillingham, Notts County. Couple of those might just be over 30 years ago but not by much. Plus quite a few games where we have let 5 in but also scored.

Not sure where that emoji thing has come from in front of Crystal Palace

It's done it again Crystal Palace

Ha ha you can't write Crystal Palace which of the Mods has done that and why?

Just researched my question:

Carlisle 5 Southend 0 - Jan 98, last time we lost by 5 goals in the league, so our worst league performance by just short of 20 years!!!!

Back