• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I seem to recall it was something to do with the navy being too close to the black worn by the referees.

I think that had something to do with it - but I can also recall that Exeter's manager Frank Broome (who had also been our manager) made an official complaint after we beat them 6-1 on a Friday evening complaining that his players could not see ours in their navy shirts against the dark background of the crowd. It was the Scotland Navy blue and didn't Spurs use it as a change kit?

It's not a good photo but it looks like Chico Hamilton to me!
I think you are right , that is team that played most of that season , with the addition of Haydock and Lyndsey , Chico was very much part of that team .

Southend United Presentation Evening 1981.

DJcz38bWsAAaMR-.jpg

Where's derek spence, taking the photo or at the bar?

From memory i've got:

Left to right
Back row
beckett, gray, hadley, nelson, smith, banks, walker, mercer, dudley, ?, polycarpou.

Front row
yeats, stead, cusack, poutney, ?, pennyfather, cawston.

So, how did i do, who are the question marks, and where is the venue?

Tanks in advance!

From memory i've got:

Left to right
Back row
beckett, gray, hadley, nelson, smith, banks, walker, mercer, dudley, ?, polycarpou.

Front row

Tanks in advance!

The? in the front row is our own Nobbler or better known on the Zone as BB The Legend lives on.

D'you what, I thought "That looks like Nobbler" but then I thought, "it can't be, surely".

But it is! :thumbsup::cool: :smile:

Venue is a tough one.

Is it the old Roslin, before it was done up. I seem to recognize the wallpaper!

The other player you aren't sure about 'Crowstone', I think could be Jeff Hull or even Adrian Owers?

Last edited:
D'you what, I thought "That looks like Nobbler" but then I thought, "it can't be, surely".

But it is! :thumbsup::cool: :smile:

Venue is a tough one 'Crowstone'.

Is it the old Roslin, before it was done up. I seem to recognize the wallpaper!

The other player you aren't sure about 'Crowstone', I think could be Jeff Hull or even Adrian Owers?

I go for Jeff Hull -played in the first three games of the season and got the winner in the first game at Bury. Got released at the end of the season and ended up at Basildon United.

Yep 'LB', I agree. I cheated a little and looked up the players who played that season and saw the Hullster in there.

Checking Adrian Owers career, I think 1981 is a year early.

'Nobbler' will be the one to confirm, obviously.

Yep 'LB', I agree. I cheated a little and looked up the players who played that season and saw the Hullster in there.

It's definately Jeff and Nobbler! Jeff had a brother ( younger?) Alan who was also an apprentice at the club. So many apprentices fall by the wayside. Owers played a few years later with Glenn Pennyfather, Garry Nelson, John Walker and Danny Greaves in Smith's last season. Must have some of youngest sides ever then.

Yep, I think Alan went on to play for Trinity FC when I was briefly there in the very early eighties. I'm sure John Keeley was there for a while, as well.

Remember they got quite a long way in the FA Sunday Cup the season I was there.

Needless to say, I didn't get in the 1st Team!

I go for Jeff Hull -played in the first three games of the season and got the winner in the first game at Bury. Got released at the end of the season and ended up at Basildon United.

Had a few beers with Jeff, Alan and Geoff Hudson’s son Warren a couple of months ago.

All three are excellent company.

Jeff has since headed back to Spain.

Southend United Presentation Evening 1981.

DJcz38bWsAAaMR-.jpg

From memory i've got:

Left to right
Back row

Front row

Tanks in advance!
The two answers are as follows. Derek Spence was away with the Northern Ireland squad & the venue was the Old Vienna(recently demolished)at Belfairs.

Yep, I think Alan went on to play for Trinity FC when I was briefly there in the very early eighties. I'm sure John Keeley was there for a while, as well.

Had a brainmelt earlier.

That was Sean Rafter, rather than John Keeley! :facepalm:

Same venue as my wedding reception, think it was the 'Popular Roadhouse' originally?

Yes it was. Same venue for my dad’s funeral-both my parents were still season-ticket holders in their 90’s.

Back