• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I get your point mate. I would have liked a scrappy 1 nil win....but look at where the bar is...accepting dross...clueless...zero attacking threat in the hope we nick a goal. That's what brown has reduced us to.

Yes I know but I'm saying you can't run before you can walk. We all want to see us dominating teams and playing expansive football. But after the run we have had we just need a couple of positive results and even a hard fought draw with a depleted team would have been a fantastic tonic for the players and would have given them something to build on. Up until their goal it looked like an away win was probably the least likely result.

But Harry is a left midfielder turned left back turned centre half who had a few good games playing alongside AF earlier in the season.

We don't have enough centre back cover.

We are stuffed unless we get some in.

You are correct and I do wonder with the experience he has gained along with his pace IF he could become a decent holding midfielder.

1 shot on target in 50 minutes of football is appalling.

4 shots on target in 90 minutes. Criminal

Criminal maybe - but it was actually one more shot on target than Fleetwood had. So what would their fans be making of that if they weren't busy celebrating their win. Fine lines.

FAKE NEWS again I'm afraid. Neither of your opinions (and that is what they are) have any substance. As I said before 3/4 fans who read the post could be bothered to answer the poll said they had enough. That is not the same thing as you well know as 3/4 fans have had enough - period. It certainly didn't feel in the ground that 3/4 shared the view of the very small pockets/individuals shouting for him to be sacked.

Secondly I think you would be very hard pressed to argue the point that the players do not want to play for the manager on today's performance. Quite the reverse. It might seem like a simple, plausible explanation for some but I can tell you that it is absolutely NOT the case and frankly one thing you COULDN'T level at the players on today's performance is that. They looked like they were almost trying too hard at times and Cox and Ferdinand looked apologetic rather than angry when they were subbed.

The whole atmosphere was strange from the off today. It’s pretty obvious that the vast majority want Brown out.

Oh and it’s difficult to build any confidence on a pitch like that! You can’t play football at pace when you have to take a touch to control it first just so it doesn’t bobble away. Away teams know this and pressure pressure pressure us into giving the ball away.

It’s a shame we don’t have a few more who are younger and fitter who can put the opposition under pressure then

Tell you what did seem a bit surreal today was that even after the kick off, you could hear people just nattering around you, as if the game hadn't even started and they were just catching up since they'd last seen each other.

Sounded like they were half interested in the match and it was almost a sideshow.

One thing I would say is that I agree with 'Brett' that the 75% Brown Out on here, before today, isn't totally reflective of the whole crowd. I've mentioned before, but I think a fair chunk of people turn up each game wanting Southend to win and are pretty ambivalent about the manager and so on.

That said, I do think the tide is turning amongst them.

In general, it's good that we have a chairman that backs a manager but he has to realise that he is hurting the club each day it goes without fresh ideas. The last time we were in this scenario he backed Tilson for too long and we were relegated. Some brief points about the game...

We've been saying all season, Ferdinand is our weak link and Brown should've learnt from Barrett last season that just because someone is a leader doesn't mean they should [or can] To me, it's a paradox to say your captain is also your weak link and if it's clear to all of us, it should be to Brown too.

I echo some others questioning substitutions. Personally Kyprianou for Turner [a like-for-like change] made far more sense and in the latter stages Wabo for McGlashan to go 4-3-3 to try to salvaging a point.

Well done to Wabo. I can't remember what minute that shot was, but that was the first time to my recollection that we tested their goalkeeper. Speaking of which, our goal was lucky and had it not have been for the deflection we wouldn't have scored at all...

I've read a few post match comments, and it's no good to place blame anymore, not on yourself or the players - it will not help us - bringing in players alone also will not help us. If you can't get a performance from the twenty-something players, what good is two or three more when they're entering into the current environment playing under current tactics.

I think PB is right. The senior pros at the club made mistakes that cost us the game. He's a senior pro and his first mistake was the team selection and tactics. In times like we need to stick with old-fashioned 442 that the players know and understand. We have a shortage of players in certain positions but not at centre forward, we have Fortune with Cox to play alongside him. We had four fit defenders but he starts with an unfit one, Ferdinand .... maybe two if Turner started with an injury - I didn't see how he got it. Kyprianou's confidence is shot, now why is that?

Having said that the players worked their socks off in the first half and desperately tried to make the strange system work. It didn't give us any goal threat though and made 0-0 the right half time score and I think Browns hope was to get a point from this game so he was probably happy at that stage.

Second half and senior pro Anton made another howler and we're 1-0 down. Then senior pro Brown makes another mistake .... not reacting immediately and quickly making subs and changing tactics - we needed to switch to attack, not continue attempted containment. After the goal I looked across and he was in conversation with Cloughlan for ages but no players warming up, no sign of a substitution. It took the second goal to provoke that.

Fortune's hold up play showed what we'd been missing. Wabo added a spark (and a good shot) to the attack but despite Kightly's freak deflected goal it was all too late.

Our away form is so abysmal we really should be setting up to win our home games, even in these increasingly desperate times especially against teams like Fleetwood. Maybe four new signings will halt our drop if they ever come. I'm just concerned that our targeting Championship players means older players well past their best or kids no better than our own. And I'm very concerned that our most senior pro, PB, will continue to make mistakes.

Criminal maybe - but it was actually one more shot on target than Fleetwood had. So what would their fans be making of that if they weren't busy celebrating their win. Fine lines.

Sometimes you just have to open your eyes and really see whats happening,your time has arrived,theres no shame be brave.

FAKE NEWS again I'm afraid. Neither of your opinions (and that is what they are) have any substance. As I said before 3/4 fans who read the post could be bothered to answer the poll said they had enough. That is not the same thing as you well know as 3/4 fans have had enough - period. It certainly didn't feel in the ground that 3/4 shared the view of the very small pockets/individuals shouting for him to be sacked.

So to clarify, 75% of Zoners would prefer Brown gone, but that figure doesn't carry over to Roots Hall, where the majority of fans want Brown in?

Fake news? Oh the irony.

Secondly I think you would be very hard pressed to argue the point that the players do not want to play for the manager on today's performance. Quite the reverse. It might seem like a simple, plausible explanation for some but I can tell you that it is absolutely NOT the case and frankly one thing you COULDN'T level at the players on today's performance is that. They looked like they were almost trying too hard at times and Cox and Ferdinand looked apologetic rather than angry when they were subbed.

Lets see, off the top of my head we've had... Corr, Hunt, Worrall, Atkinson, Thompson & Bolger all want to leave the club, due to the management. At the moment there's rumours that several first teamers want away from the club. Just a few weeks ago Brown dropped a couple citing attitude problems. We've gone from a play-off chasing team to a relegation worthy team overnight. Add those factors together & it's fairly obvious what's occurring. If you don't want to see that, that's your prerogative.

Last edited:

They'd have been celebrating much earlier if it wasn't for the bar, around the 10 minute mark. Fine lines is right.

And there's no maybe about it, those statistics are abysmal & deserving of ridicule at any level

Oh where to start:

1. We set up like we were playing Wigan away, Brown clearly going for a 0-0 and just hoping for a bit of luck in front of goal.
Fair enough if that is the formation we have gone for, but when Turner went off why oh why not bring a direct replacement on. **** poor management (Brown no confidence in the youngsters). Instead we put Coker at centre back, granted he looked our best defender, but we ended up with 3 left sided players getting each other way at times. POOR MANAGEMENT
2. Ferdinand clearly not fit, we should not be playing anyone, (I do not care who they are) if they are not fit I hope Ferdinand retires now POOR MANAGEMENT
3. Pitch is a disgrace for a professional football club, I did not pay £380 quid for a season ticket to watch my team play on such a **** poor surface. SORT IT OUT RON
4. Kightly has been awful all season, looks past it, should not be playing POOR SELECTION and **** POOR MANAGEMENT

Plus Points:

1. Coker and Timlin played well
2. Wabo looked good when he came on and should start next game

Martin will not fire Brown and we WILL get relegated this season. What is the point in FF in league 2, needs to sort out our priorities.

POOR LEADERSHIP by directors and club management!

MATCH REPORT :

I have to say that the three centre-halves could have worked, but the personnel was wrong. You have to play Kyps there, so you have a bit of pace.

Then, we should have played 3-5-2 and had Cox upfront with Wabo. I don't think McGlash and Macca ever work playing off the front man. It's a proven failed system. Kightly then sat too deep and was trying to play 40 yard balls. Against Fleetwood at home, Tims could have covered that role on his own and left Kites and Macca further up and played Cox and Wabo together. Then you had the option of changing the personnel if you need to. McGlash is only ever an impact sub. Pretty much everyone knows that.

We played straight into Fleetwood's hands with one up against Bolger and Pond. Poor Cox, it really isn't his game. He likes to play short triangles and move the ball around and create space.

Fleetwood grew into the game, but they did the basics so much better than us. No nonsense defending under pressure. When they did get near our penalty area, they were so much more clinical. Like the pace and whip on that first half free kick which Cokes headed onto the bar. Just a whole level better than we ever deliver the ball.

Paddy Madden comes on and five minutes later they've scored two goals.

I'd love to find something positive from that, but that was the performance of a nervous, disorganized and frankly beaten side. We have always been better when moving the ball at pace and closing down space, but it was like 11 strangers out there trying to play ponderous accurate passes. We were half a yard too slow. That comes from a number of things, but primarily it's a lack of belief in the system and what we are trying to do.

Over-thinking from PB and trying to be clever. Selections to plug holes rather than create pressure on the opposition.

The pitch is poor and frankly we matched that today.

One of the worst performances I think I've seen under PB and possibly other managers as well.

I've been patient on the PB front and have wavered recently on whether he can make this work, but frankly I really do think time is up. We have a massive six pointer next week and then two of the toughest home games you can imagine after that.

Thus far and no further, I think. If there's a Brown out petition, send it through and I'll sign it now!

RATINGS :

Oxley 6.5 - I guess he didn't do much wrong, but wasn't as commanding as he has been, at times today.

Demetriou 6.5 - Thought he worked really hard, but is struggling to keep his feet on this pitch.

Ferdinand 5 - Pretty woeful and clearly not fit. Think it was like putting something out of it's misery when his number came up.

Turner 6.5 - Was doing OK until he went off. Not sure what the injury was.

White 6 - Did OK, but the three of them together doesn't really work. Not JW's fault, I accept

Coker 7 MOM - Thought he defended really well today and got two great blocks in and that header onto the bar.

Timlin 7 - Close on MOM. Did the basic things well and got some good challenges in.

Kightly 6.5 - Didn't think he did too bad, but playing way too deep.

McLaughlin 6 - Nothing really came off for him, but looked a bit lost to be honest.

McGlashan 5.5 - Pretty ordinary, in truth. Just doesn't work starting with him.

Cox 6.5 - One of his poorer performances, but how he is meant to play upfront on his own is anyone's guess.

SUBS :

Hendrie 6 - Didn't really contribute much.

Fortune 6 - Was OK, but just doesn't look like he'll score another goal.

Wabo 7 - Really impressed with him. Would have been a great goal, had that one gone in.

OVERALL :

Going forward, a change needs to be made and Kyps, Yearwood and Wabo need to start games from now on in. Help the older legs and give us something of a spark and energy on the park.

PB has to go, I'm afraid. The guts were ripped out in November with some of the bizarre post-match rants and since then, he is clearly hanging on and almost inviting the sack.

Believe it was actually demi who headed onto the bar from his normal on the goal line position.

I went with very low expectations , so may be that is reflected in the below.

1st half I thought we were ok, nit great but not crap and players were trying, I thought Timlin did well, and Mclaughin was very good ,
re mcclaughin , he did an overhead flick in front of W block . personally I thought it was an attempted pass but it stayed with him, the crowd woke up and chanted his name and from then on he played with far more attacking purpose- it just shows what a bit of confidence can do.

Mcglashen- absolute toilet , and bottled so many challenges, he does 'just' enough so it looks like he is trying , but he just looks like someone who is making sure he doesn't get hurt

Oxley- he was quite right to be disgusted with the defending for the second goal

Wabo- surely he has to start, but sad our 'hope' is a yoof who most of us have only seen play for a few minutes

W block (where I stand) - some (not all) supporters can find their voices for ' Brown out' but cant be arsed to sing pro songs . I get it, but its still bloody annoying . Today we were Fleetwoods 12th man Out sung by 45 away supporters. , maybe that's what our 'this is embarrassing ' chant was all about. I get it, we are all hurting, but it just doesn't help

Last edited:
So, the bloody Mrs forced me to go today. Up until about 1pm I was sticking to my guns and not going back until Brown has gone. My God I wish I hadn’t.

Poor tactics. I said on here when the team was announced, Cox would be isolated, and lo and behold he was.

One shot over the north bank was the entire entertainment in the first half.

Are we really happy setting out to scrape a 0-0 draw against Fleetwood? Is that how low we have sunk?

I can’t fault the effort of the players. Demi, Timlin, Coker, Cox and both Mcglaughlin and McGlashan all put in the effort, but it’s wasted effort. It’s trying to beat 3 players as there was nobody else to pass to. It’s blocking a clearance, it’s chasing back, all the effort is channelled in the wrong direction as there is no team ethic, no plan, no movement, no confidence, no flair, no attacking intent.

I can’t see how we can go on with Brown in charge. We will be in the bottom 4 by the end of January as I can’t see where the next point is coming from, let alone the next win.

I will be writing to Ron Martin tomorrow, and I will be sticking by my word this time and not returning. I have never felt so empty and emotionally disconnected about our club. I did not even feel anything when we scored today and that scares me.

Something has to change quickly, and I am not sure even 2 or 3 new players would do it. Who on earth would want to come to us at this moment in time.

well, i hope all the people saying they were hoping we would lose are happy. I am certainly not.

I thought the formation was alright. I liked the 3 centre backs and 2 wing backs. middle 2 were there out of necessity, fine. I didn't like the front 3 but we have had success playing that way before.
We passed it around alright for a bit. Oh, remember the days when we were criticised for playing too many passes rather than long ball? We haven't changed the way we play, the moaners have just changed their moan - often while longing for the days of Sturrock ironically.
Turner sadly goes off injured and he brings Hendrie on. I've seen Coker play well at centre back and Hendrie should be well suited to wing back, but it was still a strange decision to me.
Anyway. The first half was not great by any stretch but we were the better side but chronically short on confidence.
at half time I said if i was Phil Brown i would tell the players to believe in themselves because we are the better team.

Second half we were poor. They scored and our confidence went even lower.
Their second goal (I think) was from us pumping yet another long ball to th small Simon Cox again 2 giant centre backs. Not surprises he didn't win it.
Confidence even lower again, we were even worse than before.
Fortune comes on and holds the ball up well, Wabo comes on and does well to run so quick considering he's carrying all of our hopes on his shoulders. It reminds me of when people randomly decided Jason Williams was our savour. Hopefully Wabo turns out better, but strange he has more songs than goals.

Anyway, we were terrible in the second half and I think we need to find a new manager. We are playing like 11 people who met at kick off and are so much less than the sum of our parts.

Everyone worked and fought and scrapped, Timlin was good but they seemed to have more players than us. Cox always seemed to have four players round him but we couldn't find the space like we had done in the first 20 odd minutes when we were spraying passes and switching the ball well.

I went with very low expectations , so may be that is reflected in the below.

1st half I thought we were ok, nit great but not crap and players were trying, I thought Timlin did well, and Mclaughin was very good ,
re mcclaughin , he did an overhead flick in front of W block . personally I thought it was an attempted pass but it stayed with him, the crowd woke up and chanted his name and from then on he played with far more attacking purpose- it just shows what a bit of confidence can do.

Mcglashen- absolute toilet , and bottled so many challenges, he does 'just' enough so it looks like he is trying , but he just looks like someone who is making sure he doesn't get hurt

Oxley- he was quite right to be disgusted with the defending for the second goal

Wabo- surely he has to start, but sad our 'hope' is a yoof who most of us have only seen play for a few minutes

W block (where I stand) - some (not all) supporters can find their voices for ' Brown out' but cant be arsed to sing pro songs . I get it, but its still bloody annoying . Today we were Fleetwoods 12th man Out sung by 45 away supporters.= , maybe that's what the 'this is embarasing ' chant was all about. I get it, we are all hurting, but it just doesn't help
I agree with you about McLaughlin and am surprised with some of the negative comments about him from other posters. He also hit a pin point perfect cross field volley in the first half.

Apart from that is was dire. The pitch didn't help the game at all but I suppose we can't use that as an excuse as we've had to deal with that all season. At what point does Ron pull the trigger? How bad does it have to get? Lots of anti Brown chants coming from the West in the second half.

Back