• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

jaffa1

Manager
SOUTHEND United superfan Phil Cox will see his 1,500th Shrimpers match in succession tonight.
The 52-year-old, who lives in Southend, has not missed a Blues game in 28 years.
And this evening’s Checkatrade Trophy clash with Peterborough United will see Cox reach an unbelievable milestone.
“It will be the 1,500th game in a row for me tonight and the last time I missed a match now was December 1989,” said Cox.
“I just started watching because Southend were the local team and I think it’s important people follow their local side.

“I think it’s nicer to support a smaller club and I first started going in 1983 after I got a job.
“I got a season ticket shortly after that and I’ve been going ever since.”
Cox estimates he has spent more than £32,000 supporting the Shrimpers, travelling a total of 264,000 miles.
And he has also missed an important family occasion to continue his run of games.
“I missed my nephew’s wedding to go to a home game against Dagenham,” said Cox, who has seen 558 Blues wins in his 1,499 games.
“I did go to the reception afterwards but I couldn’t miss the match and I’m not sure if there are any other Southend fans who have seen as many games in a row as me.”
As a regular in the Roots Hall stands, Cox has experienced many highs and lows supporting the Shrimpers.
But seeing David Webb’s side win promotion into what is now the Championship with a 1-0 win at Bury in 1991 remains his favourite ever moment.
“The matches that stick out are always the ones which end in promotion,” said Cox.
“The first one that springs to mind is when we won at Bury in 1991 to win promotion to what was then the Second Division for the first time.
“That’s probably my favourite one because it was the first time we had ever played at that level. Winning the play-off final against Wycombe at Wembley in 2015 is obviously right up there as well but being honest it was only any good for the last 30 seconds!

“The other play-off final against Lincoln in Cardiff was a special moment as well.”
And one of Blues’ goalscorers that day, Freddy Eastwood, is one of Cox’s favourite ever players.
“Stan Collymore is an obvious one and so is Freddy,” said Cox.
“But I also really liked Chrissy Powell.”

This guy needs to get a life............hold on a minute, can I have this life please:thumbsup: well done Phil:Worthy:

Blues super-fan Phil to watch 1,500th successive game tonight

SOUTHEND United superfan Phil Cox will see his 1,500th Shrimpers match in succession tonight.

More...

Wow, that is just fantastic, jaw dropping. Phil must be due a knighthood surely? At the very least he deserves some recognition from the Club?

Great job Phil ,I wonder if Phil a brown out guy ��

Amazing Phil, you really should get out less !

Seriously, this is unrivaled dedication and commitment. WELL DONE !!

Amazing dedication, a super-fan for sure, almost unbelievable and I do hope the club rewards this fantastic loyal support in some way, as it wont happen again for at least another 28 years! :Worthy:

For all that dedication the club should present him with Life membership which gives him a free seat for life.

Well done to Phil, there's been a few re-tweets about on Twitter of the story so maybe one of the "big boys" might pick up on it.

I wonder if he's a member of this forum ? He'd have to be relentlessly cheerful and pragmatic in the face of disappointment and adversity to clock up 28 years without missing a game. Can't think of anyone with that profile right now.... any ideas ?

Top bloke! And if I remember right, he told me that it would have been a longer record if he hadn’t missed a re-arranged game, someone from the TZ crowd may be able to confirm.

Well done Phil :Worthy:

I remember the young fresh faced Phil cox when he first started going. I did seven years home and away before marriage and kids curtailed it. Having been to some of those horrendous grounds midweek I can safely say Phil is a one of a kind. Not sure that's a good thing though :unsure::unsure:

I've traveled many many miles with Phil up and down the country but only seen a small fraction of the 135,000+ minutes of our action that he has. I can't however remember him ever being annoyed or upset, whatever the result of the game. Congratulations Phil and keep smiling. :thumbsup:

Back