• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I would only challenge one of those, Mick. The player puffing his cheeks looks a bit too sturdy (good word) for Martin Ling. I am going with Paul Roberts for that one.

I was trying to decide between the two of them and on the basis the player wasn't kicking anyone, I went for Ling.

Love that first photo.

RH under lights was something quite special! :thumbsup:
Love the way Terry Johnson and Gary Moore are just about going to get on there knees and worship King Billy :happy::happy::happy:

Recently found this very old picture !.

image.jpg

On on the reverse it is hand written that it was taken on Xmas day 1922.It was Southend Res 6 Arsenal Res 2 in front of a crowd of 11,600.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 41
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 258
Recently found this very old picture !.

View attachment 5177

On on the reverse it is hand written that it was taken on Xmas day 1922.It was Southend Res 6 Arsenal Res 2 in front of a crowd of 11,600.

Really good picture, thanks for putting it up. however the details on the back I think are wrong.

It says Christmas Day 1922 but on that day Southend first team were at home to Reading and won 3-1 while the Reserves were at Reading.

Secondly in 1922-23 Southend Reserves played in the Southern League, Arsenal Reserves played in the London Combination.

The Southend scorers shown on the back are Watkins and Grover. They both played for Southend in 1925-26 when both Southend and Arsenal played in the London combination. Southend did play Arsenal on Christmas Day and won 7-1.

I can only think that the writing on the back was done some time afterwards and as we all know the memory plays tricks.

I repeat though fantastic picture.

Great old pic, that would make sense DoDTS.

It also says "Attendance 11,600 Combination Record for Southend Kursaal" which would point to 1925.

Ernie Watkins signed from Birmingham City on the 1st Feb 1924 playing in 34 matches and scoring 17 goals, he left on 1st January 1926 and went to Brentford.

Fred Graver signed from Leeds United on the 1st May 1925 playing 11 matches scoring 2 goals, he left on the 1st June 1926 and went to Wallsend.

So 25th December 1925 fits.

Great old pic, that would make sense DoDTS.

It also says "Attendance 11,600 Combination Record for Southend Kursaal" which would point to 1925.

Ernie Watkins signed from Birmingham City on the 1st Feb 1924 playing in 34 matches and scoring 17 goals, he left on 1st January 1926 and went to Brentford.

Fred Graver signed from Leeds United on the 1st May 1925 playing 11 matches scoring 2 goals, he left on the 1st June 1926 and went to Wallsend.

So 25th December 1925 fits.

Just to add that Ernie Watkins was unhappy being played in a reserve game, and then went on to break a club curfew prior to a match (went out drinking on New Years Eve?) and was suspended by the club. Shortly afterwards he signed for Brentford and was regular goalscorer for them for the next four seasons (leading goalscorer in two of them)..

Love the old days, where it was absolutely compulsory to wear a hat. Indeed, you were turned away at the turnstiles if you weren't sporting one!

attachment.php

Love the old days, where it was absolutely compulsory to wear a hat. Indeed, you were turned away at the turnstiles if you weren't sporting one!

attachment.php

And they had to throw them in the air when we scored. Didn't always get the right one back which is why some look a very poor fit !

What else is there to do on a wet miserable day but to reminisce about the good old days. 4th Jan 1975 - in front of 18,100

QPR_2.jpg
QPR_3.jpg
QPR_4.jpg
QPR_5.jpg

Attachments

• QPR_1.jpg
    QPR_1.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 41

attachment.php

Not many ladies either maybe two?
There is one bloke without a hat, 2nd row in the middle. All got shirts and ties as well.
I wonder what future fans will think of our photos in 100 years time. Mind you that's if the club has lasted that long.

When we pulled it back to 2-2, there was nearly a mini Ibrox disaster on the North Bank, as so many surged forward. Fortunately we were able to 'dig in' half way down & stem the flow.
Just glad the North Bank was'nt much bigger with many additional numbers behind us.
Was a great day though.

When we pulled it back to 2-2, there was nearly a mini Ibrox disaster on the North Bank, as so many surged forward. Fortunately we were able to 'dig in' half way down & stem the flow.
Just glad the North Bank was'nt much bigger with many additional numbers behind us.
Was a great day though.
I will always put that game above the Man Unt game .

We had some fantastic forwards this season, and so entertaining to watch. Garner and Best of course, who were different class. Gary Moore and my favourite winger of all time Terry Johnson. He had pace and would mix it up by going inside and out, normally tying the left back in knots. He also scored plenty of goals. He had a fantastic record for us of roughly a goal in every 4.5 games. Fantastic for a winger. He scored one of the best bicycle kicks ever under the floodlights, but I can't remember who against. He was Player of the season the one after this.

CY8JPpNWMAE6EhX.jpg

DUyWtcSX0AA2oRe.jpg

Back