• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Two games stand out , the Villa game 1971 , the Chelsea cup game 1972 , you had to be in The North Bank for those games to understand why people of a certain age still talk about the great days in The North Bank .

but Os,never forget the QPR game..:thumbsup:

Too many to say one.
Villa 71
Chelsea 72
QPR 75
Cardiff City 75 Cup tie
Newport County 0-2..3-2. 1977
Rochdale 78 promotion party
Beating Watford to play Liverpool courtesy of Andy Polycarpou
Liverpool 79
Richard Cadette debut v Orient
The Barry Fry Brum game - the hatred
The Luton keeper fumbling in 2015
So many more. Could go on for days.

Actually that Cardiff City game in the 75/76 FA Cup was maybe the least touted. But what an afternoon. The atmosphere was electric. The two sets of supporters 100% commited..before, after and during.

For me it was the 1956 cup game against Manchester City. I witnessed the most amazing goalkeeping performance by Bert Trautmann The memory of one save from a Roy Hollis shot is still fresh in my memory some 60 years later.

I have a spare ticket for today, and he cannot wait to come back to the game, and there is talk of getting a season ticket next season too. If we win today, he could well be converted from a Chelsea fan, to a fully pledged Shrimper.[/QUOTE]

Marvellous news! Great work!

I have a spare ticket for today, and he cannot wait to come back to the game, and there is talk of getting a season ticket next season too. If we win today, he could well be converted from a Chelsea fan, to a fully pledged Shrimper.

Marvellous news! Great work![/QUOTE]

He absolutely loved it once again. He is supposed to be going to see his Dad this weekend, but really wants to go to the Portsmouth game.

Will be looking to take him to an away game soon, to experience that as well.

Two specifc games I attended

The first was the match with Wolves in a (Tuesday) night in front of over 10,000 - we won 1-0 I stood with my dad on the old North bank which was absolutely rocking when we scored in front of the Wolves fans on the old Kop - I recall them all running down to try and get on the pitch after that and the coppers and dog units running up to stop them. I also remember big Jim Stannards most difficult save that night was a backpass or header from one of his own teammates he performed some sort of acrobatic flip to get the ball

The second was fat Bazza's first home match in charge - our 1-0 win over West Ham, I was in the corner between the West Stand and the North bank which became a mixed zone due to the crowd being so high 13,000 I recall. The game stands out for one or two things - Simon Royce in goal performing heroics (I had been concerned pre match we had a rookie keeper in for such a big game but he proved inspired) and Brett Angells winner. I remember Fry running down the touchline to get the fans going a few times as well - such happy memories those two.

1st April 1988..Blues v Wigan...First time I saw Blues win, was beginning to get feeling I was a jinx upto now! and this night was no different as we were 0-2 down in second half then upsteps Donut with a Pen, Ling and If I remember Crown with a screamer from out near East Stand to cap a very memorable come back and my jinx ended. Brought back down to earth 2 weeks later with a 4-1 loss to Sunderland!

(I have a second greatest day; taking my son to RH for the first time in October 1991 to see Charlton. The game was drawn and when did he want to go for a pee ? Yep - when SU scored :facepalm:)

Was that the game Mike Salmon(?) got injured and Steve Brown went in goal?

I seem to recall we missed a penalty and there was a sending off as well.

Birmingham was awesome, I am sure my mate Streaky said he only just got in to that game before the stewards said no more and shut the turnstiles to the north bank.
There was an Anglo Italian game at RH, Padova, 5-2 I think it was, great game and oddly the north bank was reasonably empty, I climbed the barriers swinging my scarf for the goals - loved it!

Was that the one our current manager got sent off for peacekeeping in a 21 man brawl?

The brawls in the Anglo-Italian were epic.

Lots of great memories including Man U and Tilly promotions, but I still remember being a 13 year old at that Birmingham game, and that atmosphere will stay with me for a long time.

https://youtu.be/4XT3IqtehoU

"Jonathan Hunt produced a lethal volley to make it 2-0"

Er, that's not a volley.

Anyway great, great game. One of only two must win Southend matches where defeat was too unbearable to contemplate.

It was still sweet to stick one over Judas last week.

For me it was the 1956 cup game against Manchester City. I witnessed the most amazing goalkeeping performance by Bert Trautmann The memory of one save from a Roy Hollis shot is still fresh in my memory some 60 years later.

Mine too, even though I was only 10 years old. Remember saying to my dad "Why are we playing in Wolves colours?" not understanding in the FA Cup that both teams wear change strips if there's a colour clash.
Bert Trautmann broke our hearts (and Roy Hollis) that afternoon ... amazing saves.

Mine too, even though I was only 10 years old. Remember saying to my dad "Why are we playing in Wolves colours?" not understanding in the FA Cup that both teams wear change strips if there's a colour clash.
Bert Trautmann broke our hearts (and Roy Hollis) that afternoon ... amazing saves.

Well, never knew that. When did that stop?

In rugby its the home team that change if there's a colour clash. It happened at the weekend in the 6 nations - Scotland v France.

Dead confusing!

Well, never knew that. When did that stop?

Can't answer that one I'm afraid.

When I mentioned Blues were playing in Wolves colours, I was referring to their shirts and socks, I remember they were playing in their normal white shorts that day. Man City were wearing maroon shirts with a pale blue pin stripe, white shorts and maroon and pale blue hoops socks.

For those who think today's Roots Hall pitch is bad, you should have seen it that day. Water, sand and cockle shells ... and that was an improvement on what it looked like two days earlier!

I'm slightly concerned that this thread has been overtaken by the bad memories thread.

Quick, someone wax lyrical about the liquid football in that second half v Yeovil in our title season!

I'm slightly concerned that this thread has been overtaken by the bad memories thread.

Quick, someone wax lyrical about the liquid football in that second half v Yeovil in our title season!

That persistent thorn in our side Phil Jevons had put Yeovil one up on the stroke of half time on a Tuesday evening.
Second half it was non stop towards the South Stand. Goals from Luke Guttridge (60) and Wayne Gray (69) put us 2-1 up.
Three substitutions, Freddy, Jay Smith and Cambell-Ryce with Freddy getting goals in 89 and 90 to stuff the side who robbed us of the Chamionship the previous season. EfeSodje and Nathan Jones were playing for them. Sixth successive win!

Can't answer that one I'm afraid.

When I mentioned Blues were playing in Wolves colours, I was referring to their shirts and socks, I remember they were playing in their normal white shorts that day. Man City were wearing maroon shirts with a pale blue pin stripe, white shorts and maroon and pale blue hoops socks.

For those who think today's Roots Hall pitch is bad, you should have seen it that day. Water, sand and cockle shells ... and that was an improvement on what it looked like two days earlier!

bISZA5.jpg

Southend ground staff prepare the pitch before the FA Cup Fourth Round tie match against Manchester City at Roots Hall. January 1956

RZqMsm.jpg

Southend United Vs Manchester City FA Cup Fourth Round at Roots Hall
on the 28th January 1956. Attendance 29,500

Back