• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Tommy2holes

Life President⭐
Chris strikes me as the kind of manager that prides himself on knowing his players and offering that arm round the shoulder type of management.

Just wondering if he had come in earlier would this have given Nile a lifeline. I guess we will never know but I'm convinced he would have flourished under CP.

Sadly, not a chance in hell. PB and Ron couldn't have done more for the guy but he has a persistent self destruct button.

I had also given that a thought recently,

There have been a lot of stories stating that Ranger was a bad apple and caused a divide in the dressing room (not sure what to believe) it would be one thing to bring Nile to task, but to bridge the division between the players would have been a big ask.

Didn’t PB try to take him under his wing? Which was ultimately attributed partially to his downfall... (oh, and those defeats 8 in his last 9 games!)

Ranger must surely be full of regret though. Not sure why, but I actually miss him!

I had also given that a thought recently,

There have been a lot of stories stating that Ranger was a bad apple and caused a divide in the dressing room (not sure what to believe) it would be one thing to bring Nile to task, but to bridge the division between the players would have been a big ask.

Didn’t PB try to take him under his wing? Which was ultimately attributed partially to his downfall... (oh, and those defeats 8 in his last 9 games!)

Ranger must surely be full of regret though. Not sure why, but I actually miss him!

Agree, despite everything, he is a very talented footballer, and had the potential to be a top class player destined for a place in the England team. However, like Bilel, Nile doesn't have the temperament to maintain a successful career, as he can't (or won't) knuckle down and work hard to make the best of his ability. Such a shame - but as the onld saying goes, you can take a horse to water, but you can't make it drink!

Agree, despite everything, he is a very talented footballer, and had the potential to be a top class player destined for a place in the England team. However, like Bilel, Nile doesn't have the temperament to maintain a successful career, as he can't (or won't) knuckle down and work hard to make the best of his ability. Such a shame - but as the onld saying goes, you can take a horse to water, but you can't make it drink!

Not sure about England but I know Chelmsford prison used to have a team. I played against them about 30 years ago. They always had home advantage which was a bit unfair.

No. The bloke was a complete and utter waste of space. PB giving him special treatment actually ended up playing a big factor into why he lost his own job.

If you could keep Nile Ranger away from London, and his mates. If you could stop him staying out until the early hours, then you have a chance. I don't think even Chris Powell could do that. Don't forget his contract was terminated for reoccurring disciplinary issues.

Chris strikes me as the kind of manager that prides himself on knowing his players and offering that arm round the shoulder type of management.

Just wondering if he had come in earlier would this have given Nile a lifeline. I guess we will never know but I'm convinced he would have flourished under CP.

Theo Robinson was good mates with Ranger and has been given more of a cold shoulder so Ranger going was one major headache CP won't have to deal with.

To be honest I was happy with the chances afforded to Ranger by SUFC but clearly, whatever was done for him, it was never going to be enough. I wish him well but have no regret that he has now gone on to pastures new. One of the biggest things our team needs to move forward is unity. That appears to be coming together and we don't need anyone or anything that could damage that.

If you could keep Nile Ranger away from London, and his mates. If you could stop him staying out until the early hours, then you have a chance. I don't think even Chris Powell could do that. Don't forget his contract was terminated for reoccurring disciplinary issues.

Yes, all a bit late now but making him live in Tottenham as part of his release conditions was a disaster by the powers that be. Not that he deserves it but as one of the 3% who leave prison with a job to go to then living in Southend was his only chance.

The way the crosses are coming in now I reckon he'd have scored a few goals and all would have soon been forgiven

Who cares now, but that’s said with a slight tinge of sadness that we want ever know. Ranger though is plain and simply scum and I think that we have dodged a huge bullet but cutting him loose.

Nope, had how many managers in his carer and what happened? Most of time it finished badly.

It would've ended the same I think under Powell.

Short answer: no. He is a berk. I stood up for him time and again on here but he couldn’t even get the basics right, like turning up on time. I feel for him, but I love Southend much more. I want us to win and if he’s a negative influence on that then despite his unlucky poor start in life then I’m afraid my compassion has bounds and he’s crossed them. I wish him all the best but I’m mighty glad he’s left.

Back