• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Films you've watched recently.

Planes, Trains and Automobiles.

9/10, Top drawer. Forgot about Steve Martin's F word laden rant at the car rental place but the kids loved it.

Promised Land
1987 Kiefer Sutherland/Meg Ryan film about a series of events affecting a group of kids in small town America. The first film to have been financed by Sundance apparently. It's set over Xmas so I often watch it at this time of year. I like it, and I'd recommend it to anyone who fancies a bleak, moody, Christmas curveball with a distinct indie feel. 7.5/10

Rogue One 7/10

I liked it overall, the last third of the film saved it but I don't think deserves as high praise as it's received.
I did have a few issues with it....

Spoiler:  
CGI Peter Cushing was overused thus showing the flaws this technology still has. It started to distract me every time he was on screen. I think he's in this film more than he was in New Hope.
The score was pretty forgettable, I heard the guy was bought in last minute to write the score.
The characters were also pretty forgettable, except the droid, he was ace.
While some cameos were cool (The two guys from the cantina that Obi Wan kills), didnt feel the need to shoehorn in R2 and C3PO.
The first hour or so was pretty dull with far too much planet hopping.

The big saving grace was seeing very badass Vader in the last five minutes. Wiped away any memories of "Nooooooooo!!!!"
Can't agree with the above, saw it last night and thought it was brillant. This is how the sequals should have been . The score was crap, its a real shame that John Williams didn't do it and it would IMO have been a better film had he been involved . However, but K2SO (Kaytoo) was far better than R2D2 or CP3O, and personally I liked the characters in it . I thought the way it all joined up to 'A New Hope' was very very well done.

I think the majority of Star Wars fans would love it, and I would argue that it also stands on its own merits as a great film

9/10

So the chap says they didnt try and blame sully and its in the rag of truth so it must be true,good to see that your bubble will never ever be burst.

It's available elsewhere, not just TG (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...stigators-unhappy-unfair-portrayal-movie.html). Eastwood had to ramp up the peril or there would be no film. Not saying its not a good film (I can't comment as I've not seen it), but it's got as much authenticity as Star Wars.

Can't agree with the above, saw it last night and thought it was brillant. This is how the sequals should have been . The score was crap, its a real shame that John Williams didn't do it and it would IMO have been a better film had he been involved . However, but K2SO (Kaytoo) was far better than R2D2 or CP3O, and personally I liked the characters in it . I thought the way it all joined up to 'A New Hope' was very very well done.

I think the majority of Star Wars fans would love it, and I would argue that it also stands on its own merits as a great film

9/10
Agree completely - I really enjoyed it despite going into the cinema not expecting too much.

Spoiler:  
I even loved the CGI Grand Moff Tarkin - could have been a disaster, but it was done so well. I thought that the first time you saw him, reflected in glass, was utterly chilling.

The score was crap, its a real shame that John Williams didn't do it and it would IMO have been a better film had he been involved .

I don't think the score was crap, certainly not as memorable as a John Williams soundtrack but Williams is 84 now so they need to start moulding a new composer to take over. And to be fair to Michael Giacchino, he apparently only had 4 weeks to score it after disney dumped Alexandre Desplat.

It's available elsewhere, not just TG (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...stigators-unhappy-unfair-portrayal-movie.html). Eastwood had to ramp up the peril or there would be no film. Not saying its not a good film (I can't comment as I've not seen it), but it's got as much authenticity as Star Wars.

Of course the NTSB are going to deny that's how it went down. They ****ed up and were questioning a guys heroics. They obviously don't want to come round as a cow boy outfit seeing as they're the ones who are there to investigate why these incidents happen.

Of course the NTSB are going to deny that's how it went down. They ****ed up and were questioning a guys heroics. They obviously don't want to come round as a cow boy outfit seeing as they're the ones who are there to investigate why these incidents happen.

Ok mate. :facepalm:

Ok mate. :facepalm:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/US_Airways_Flight_1549

Don't know why you've used that smiley?

I know Wikipedia isn't always the most reliable but if that isn't true someone has gone to a lot of effort. Read the investigation piece, obviously Clint Eastwood has dramatised the whole situation but Sully still had to put his point across and they did consider the fact he may have been able to get back to one of the two airports.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/US_Airways_Flight_1549

I know Wikipedia isn't always the most reliable but if that isn't true someone has gone to a lot of effort. Read the investigation piece, obviously Clint Eastwood has dramatised the whole situation but Sully still had to put his point across and they did consider the fact he may have been able to get back to one of the two airports.[I /QUOTE]

As I understand it the investigators did what they had to do to follow the book, whilst at no time thinking he wasn't anything less than a hero. As I said before, it wouldn't have made much of a film if they told the truth.

9/10

I am with you on this UWS, very good indeed. 9.5/10

David Brent: Life on the Road - painful, tragic, funny and in the end quite heart warming. 7/10

Back