• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Because Nathan Jones' best managerial years are (probably) ahead of him.

Phil Brown's best managerial years are (definitely) behind him.

What makes you say that?

Because in the 1,690 days he has been in charge at Southend he has never once done anything to suggest to me that he was capable of taking another side into the Premiership.

His team selections are often perverse, his substitutions and tactics often questionable, his man management has been strongly criticised as has been his commitment to the cause. Yes, he was in charge for the promotion from the lowest division by the very, very narrowest of margins and yes we appear stabilised at the next level. How has he achieved that ? I'm not sure; perhaps he is one of Napolean's proverbial lucky generals ?

You presumably think differently? What do you see as his strengths that will see him surpass his truly great success at Hull all those years ago ?

Agreed, but Sunderland aren't in it for the long term with their managers.

They just want quick fix solutions in their desperate bid to get back into the Premier League or stay in it when they are there.

Mick;2008113[B said:
]Because in the 1,690 days he has been in charge at Southend he has never once done anything to suggest to me that he was capable of taking another side into the Premiership. [/B]

His team selections are often perverse, his substitutions and tactics often questionable, his man management has been strongly criticised as has been his commitment to the cause. Yes, he was in charge for the promotion from the lowest division by the very, very narrowest of margins and yes we appear stabilised at the next level. How has he achieved that ? I'm not sure; perhaps he is one of Napolean's proverbial lucky generals ?

You presumably think differently? What do you see as his strengths that will see him surpass his truly great success at Hull all those years ago ?

And Nathan Jones has the ability to take a side into the premiership because he's young? I thought I'd ask because it seemed to be a strange thing to say. Most of the best managers in the world are either around the same age as PB or older.

Because in the 1,690 days he has been in charge at Southend he has never once done anything to suggest to me that he was capable of taking another side into the Premiership.

Exactly, but apart from that roads, education and aqueducts...

If people dont like Brown thats fair enough, but lets not just dismiss his achievements as 'luck' because of it.

And Nathan Jones has the ability to take a side into the premiership because he's young? I thought I'd ask because it seemed to be a strange thing to say. Most of the best managers in the world are either around the same age as PB or older.

Did I mention his age ? Did I mention him taking a club into the premiership ? I merely said his best years are probably ahead of him. He is in his first job as permanent manager and is doing well in the bottom tier. I think he will do better.

Did I mention his age ? Did I mention him taking a club into the premiership ? I merely said his best years are probably ahead of him. He is in his first job as permanent manager and is doing well in the bottom tier. I think he will do better.

No you didn't but that's what you seemed to suggest (best years ahead of Nathan Jones and PB managerial years are behind him).

Well that was clear as mud :unsure::unsure:

Cant really see what Karanka has done that would make him even money favourite. he's got a foreign name and that makes him good I suppose. [h=1][/h]

Definitely a bit of 'big name allure' there too. Having worked with Mourinho, and having been a CL winner as a player with Real Madrid, there is always a hope that he might be in a good position to attract top players to the club.

Exactly, but apart from that roads, education and aqueducts...

If people dont like Brown thats fair enough, but lets not just dismiss his achievements as 'luck' because of it.

To be fair I didn't, I said I wasn't sure. Perhaps you can help me out? If we rule out team selection, tactics, substitutions, man management, inspirational after match comments, etc what are his big selling points?

To be fair I didn't, I said I wasn't sure. Perhaps you can help me out? If we rule out team selection, tactics, substitutions, man management, inspirational after match comments, etc what are his big selling points?

He's got a lovely tan....

Amazing isn't it, how a thread with very little substance is now 20+ pages! :stunned:

... and a 40% win ratio, which is higher than any Sunderland manager has achieved since Roy Keane in 2008.

So are you telling us that EVERY team selection, EVERY tactic and EVERY substitution from PB has been poor!!!

What a load of rubbish; yes, some of those things can be questioned, but are you also suggesting that NJ has never made a mistake with these (or any manager for that matter)

With regards after match comments, and man management - have you witnessed this in person, or just your opinion from press etc?

Let's hope he does. In a few years he may have managed a couple of teams to promotion like PB.

Well, it seems it has quite a bit of substance, if he's currently 2nd in the betting for the job !

People have this misconception bookies set their odds based on insider knowledge, they don't. The Odds reflect how many punters have put money on it, the odds are low so that if Brown did somehow get the job the bookies wouldn't suffer a heavy loss. Most likely people have just been betting on Brown because he's said he's interested.

Amazing isn't it, how a thread with very little substance is now 20+ pages! :stunned:

If truth be known it's cos Phil Brown is so charismatic that he likes to be in the news every day.

He is a journalist's dream because he has never been known to say no comment. I was reading some old articles about him yesterday evening.

He reckons if he hadn't been sacked from Hull he would have kept them in the Premier League for 20 years.

He wants to clock up 1000 games as a manager - which is why he wasn't going to be anyone's assistant ( Sam at Sunderland and England).

He didn't get the Hartlepool job because he wanted to take Horton there as his assistant and they said they couldn't afford the two of them.

Don't forget he takes Horton everywhere with him , Hull, Preston - would Sunderland think that the Brown/Horton dream team to take them back to the Premier League if they managed to keep them put of League 1. I doubt it.

Oh and Michael Turner was one of the unlucky 11 to receive the half time talk on the pitch for Hull.

Back