• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

We played well tonight but just couldn't score.

Thought the foul on Timlin was a penalty.

Elvis played well but one moment of concentration was missing.

Nevertheless Oxley should be very concerned that he was beaten from such a narrow angle.

Timlin had a superb game and was twice desperately unlucky not to have scored.

There is no doubt that they were all giving their best.

This is very different to last season when the tactics were to blame.

This season the recruitment policy is to blame but Brown is doing superbly with the resources available.

As with last season, my sympathies are with Ron.

I think that we miss a decent Chief Executive.

Can't be overly critical given the line up we put out, but a shame we couldn't take one of those half chances as Shrewsbury weren't that good at all. A good job too as we were all over the place at the back. Surely Hendrie, Ferdinand, Leonard, Demetriou would give us more solidity? Surprised to see Cox and Hendrix on the bench unless they were carrying knocks.

Add Ranger, Cox, Wordsworth, Kightly, Coker, White, Turner, Kiernan to the mix and it's a different team. Need to get them fit though.

Other than Turner we didnt really sign any?

Kightly isnt ancient and the likes of Hendrie and Kiernan who also signed have been injured and are the younger members of the squad. Then you add Coker to that and the defence has been ripped apart by a lot of injuries , out of the 8 defenders we have lost 6 of them so far this season.
you know what he is saying, we are obviously paying big wages on the crocs and the overrated Kite... don't give me all the, not his best position.... why don't people fes up....people want to twist everything to protect brown and the club..... Rigsby was like a shield for brown...

Just got back in.

Conditions didn't help but it actually turned into a decent contest. We weren't great in the first half and Yearwood and Elvis really struggled (Elvis in particular). Our attacking play was limited.

In the second half we were much better and Timlin was given the nod to get forward a lot more which helped. Kyprianou and and Ferdinand had a solid night and Oxley saved well and kicked well given the conditions. I thought Demetriou was pretty good seeing as he was on the wrong side, but could see FA trouble for his shove on the ball boy. Elvis looks far too green. Yearwood was guilty of the wrong decisions at times, but also roasted their defenders a few times. McG and McL struggled to have much of an effect, and Fortune was typical in that he played people in nicely without really offering a goal threat. Lenny was solid and mopped things up but probably contributed to their goal with a decision to try and head a ball he should have left for a centre back. I thought the subs were about right but maybe struggled to have an impact on the game. Shrewsbury were pretty good at closing it out.

Ratings

Oxley - 7
Elvis - 5
Ferdinand - 6
Kyprianou - 6
Demitriou - 7
McGlashan - 5
Timlin - 7 MOTM
Leonard - 6
Yearwood - 6
McLaughlin - 6
Fortune - 6

Subs:
Robinson - 6
Cox - 6

I didn't think Shrewsbury were all that.

Seems like the Brown out brigade is starting to gather pace again. We've been here before, but Brown has always turned it around. Don't underestimate the effects of being without our best full back, best playmaker and best striker for most of the season to date.

You really can't judge him too harshly at this point. Let's get Ranger match fit and wait until Wordsworth is back at least, before we start pointing fingers. We've had incredible bad luck with injuries so far but I've still got every confidence in Brown once the squad starts taking shape again.

Seems more like the oversensitive Brown defenders are out in force. We are in a very tough position and, whether you want to accept it or not, some of the responsibility is PB's and rightly he deserves some criticism. Quite frankly I don't care about calling for him to go. It always falls on deaf ears. What I do want to see is accepted responsibility and lessons learned. last season we started poorly, had a good run and finished poorly. This season, with the players injured, we have started poorly, look very unlikely to field our best eleven for even half of the season, and I have very serious doubt about us being able to mount a challenge. You can't always give other teams a head start and expect to continually make up lost ground.

Today we set up in a different way and it looked as though we were hoping to keep a clean sheet and pray to be able to nick one for the points. We did that with MAF as the lone striker. A man who has hardly got the greatest of goal scoring records. I presume it was in the hope he could hold the ball up and bring the mids into play in the final third. For what end? Our team is bereft of the ability to score. With that in mind our only scorer of note is left on the bench until late. Cox may be struggling but the only way he will come good is by playing.

I rate MAF and he is a credit to professionalism but when you can't score for toffees he is not the answer to one up top. He is a foil and needs a better scorer alongside him. Setting up the way we did tonight needed a clean sheet but that was always unlikely. How confident can the management be with a patched up side? So you need to set out your stall to be able to bag a goal or two and that may only be to snatch a draw. I think it was negative and poorly thought out. Is that criticism of PB? Yes. Does he deserve it? Yes.

Can't be overly critical given the line up we put out, but a shame we couldn't take one of those half chances as Shrewsbury weren't that good at all. A good job too as we were all over the place at the back. Surely Hendrie, Ferdinand, Leonard, Demetriou would give us more solidity? Surprised to see Cox and Hendrix on the bench unless they were carrying knocks.

Add Ranger, Cox, Wordsworth, Kightly, Coker, White, Turner, Kiernan to the mix and it's a different team. Need to get them fit though.
Cox, Kightly, White, Kiernan and Ranger have all been in the mix and we've still been useless. Chances are we'll never be able to add all of those players into the mix at the same time anyway because most of them are injury prone. By the time we've waited for all these players to be back our season will be over, it's not good enough.

PB doesn't deserve all of the criticism he gets and I don't want him sacked but this situation is his fault, not referees or 'bad luck' and whoever/whatever else he tries to deflect the blame to. The recruitment policy is a joke and the pre season/training must come into question as well with every player apart from Coker pulling up with muscle injuries.

Our poor start cost us last season and will cost us again this year if we can even manage to turn it around this time.

Seems like the Brown out brigade is starting to gather pace again. We've been here before, but Brown has always turned it around. Don't underestimate the effects of being without our best full back, best playmaker and best striker for most of the season to date.

You really can't judge him too harshly at this point. Let's get Ranger match fit and wait until Wordsworth is back at least, before we start pointing fingers. We've had incredible bad luck with injuries so far but I've still got every confidence in Brown once the squad starts taking shape again.
It's not incredible bad luck when you assemble a squad full of injury prone and/or old players. It's an incredibly bad recruitment policy.

It's not incredible bad luck when you assemble a squad full of injury prone and/or old players. It's an incredibly bad recruitment policy.

I bet you weren't complaining last season, when we were looking at a Wembley play off place?... It's not like the "old" players have aged many years since May.

Were just trying to plug holes through injury. To be fair, I think the youth have done a decent job & the experience they have gained will do us all favour in the long term.

UTB
:happy:

Trouble is, we keep ending up here, near the bottom, struggling to get points on the board. It shouldn't keep happening but Brown never seems to learn lessons.

Quick question , your comment is valid as a snap shot ...

Have we ever under PB finished the season in the position you're alluding to above ?

IN what catogary would you put Hendrie and Kightly? Crock or has been?

Kightly Is in the twilight of his career and 3 year deal!!!

Hendrie is not a good player but we signed him based on a handful of games on loan a few seasons ago. Not played for the hammers and not played for Blackburn hardly all season.

You can add the ridiculous decision to give Robinson a longer contract too. He is not good enough.

Poor all round

I bet you weren't complaining last season, when we were looking at a Wembley play off place?... It's not like the "old" players have aged many years since May.

Were just trying to plug holes through injury. To be fair, I think the youth have done a decent job & the experience they have gained will do us all favour in the long term.

UTB
:happy:

people might not have been complaining, but we missed out on the play offs by one point, mainly due to a slow start and an awful finish to the season. For that PB is to blame. Ditto the start to this season and again the side is riddled by injuries, but, they are players he has brought in to the club, many of whom have a history of injury and not playing full seasons. Only one person to blame and that's PB. RM must be very close to losing his patience with the backing he has provided PB

Wasn't there to be fair, so can't comment beyond it sounded as though we were holding our own largely, we were much better in the second half, and we couldnt score for toffee! I think we are so busy trying to defend and not lose that we have massively lost confidence with the shooting boots :stunned:

For whatever the reason, we have a cobbled together side, with some not quite ready youngsters gaining very valuable game time and doing a credible job. This has obviously been a strategic decision, rather than go out into the loan market, and while this hasn't paid off in terms of results, imagine the outcry if we had pulled in 3-4 relatively untested youngsters from other clubs, and got the same results, when we have our own home grown but untested talent pool in our own ranks!!

Despite the obvious issue of losing 7 on the bounce, there are still a lot of positives in the mix. There are many factors at play here, and while the manager needs to take some responsibility, I think that the number of injuries we have suffered is the worst I have seen. Yes, some of these players are somewhat injury prone, but never have I seen all of them missing at the same time. I have also been critical of team selection, tactics etc, and I have wondered sometimes about signings, but to be fair, PB does know his stuff, he works with this group of players and I have been proven wrong more than once so I am happy to not continue criticising.

perspective is needed guys. It is early September, not the end of March! We do have a decent squad, which will heal and get back to playing soon. The same groans of doom were ringing around the Hall last season, yet we were 1 point off the play offs at the end. There is nothing going on that suggests that we can't be in that position again, and surely it is better to have the inevitable poor run at the start of the season rather than at the business end??

Wasn't there to be fair, so can't comment beyond it sounded as though we were holding our own largely, we were much better in the second half, and we couldnt score for toffee! I think we are so busy trying to defend and not lose that we have massively lost confidence with the shooting boots :stunned:

For whatever the reason, we have a cobbled together side, with some not quite ready youngsters gaining very valuable game time and doing a credible job. This has obviously been a strategic decision, rather than go out into the loan market, and while this hasn't paid off in terms of results, imagine the outcry if we had pulled in 3-4 relatively untested youngsters from other clubs, and got the same results, when we have our own home grown but untested talent pool in our own ranks!!

Despite the obvious issue of losing 7 on the bounce, there are still a lot of positives in the mix. There are many factors at play here, and while the manager needs to take some responsibility, I think that the number of injuries we have suffered is the worst I have seen. Yes, some of these players are somewhat injury prone, but never have I seen all of them missing at the same time. I have also been critical of team selection, tactics etc, and I have wondered sometimes about signings, but to be fair, PB does know his stuff, he works with this group of players and I have been proven wrong more than once so I am happy to not continue criticising.

perspective is needed guys. It is early September, not the end of March! We do have a decent squad, which will heal and get back to playing soon. The same groans of doom were ringing around the Hall last season, yet we were 1 point off the play offs at the end. There is nothing going on that suggests that we can't be in that position again, and surely it is better to have the inevitable poor run at the start of the season rather than at the business end??

I'd like to share your enthusiasm but I can't see this squad being injury free. I can also see turner being browns equivalent of ricketts. Will hardly play a game and on a big money two year deal

Indeed. I think The Railway re-furbished the whole pub on those takings, alone! :spread:

Quick question , your comment is valid as a snap shot ...

Have we ever under PB finished the season in the position you're alluding to above ?

Let me turn that around. Do you think that if we didn't do this thing of being poor every August /September then maybe come May we wouldn't all be fretting about missing promotion/play offs by a point or two?

I got to be honest its getting boring that all I see is we started like this last season and the season before that and before that we start so slow and it surely comes down to preperation during pre season these injuries are killing us but i have to say I think we haven't got the right signings in with what is a very small squad this was bound to happen... How long before the brown out boys get going and when does it become a serious issue... One thing for sure brown must have gone to Ron give me a big budget and ill get us promotion were spending 18k on three players wages could that be better used how knows time will tell.... Utb

Let's get some quality signings in : Yep, done.
Let's keep hold of our best player : Yep, done.
Let's give youngsters a chance : Yep, done.
Let's play with width : Yep, done.
Let's improve our final position year on year : Yep, done.

We can all be experts from the stands. Bottom line is, it's very early days. Everyone was banging on about Bury and all their great signings a month or so ago. Same with Port Vale last season.

Unbeaten at home at the moment and not even in the relegation zone.

Granted, the defence looks a little suspect and the strikers can't score, but these are issues that will sort themselves out.

Last night we had a patched up side and still only lost 1-0 at the unbeaten league leaders.

Way too early to start worrying about things, in my view.

Back