• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sounds like the usual problems under Brown- poor set pieces, not enough willingness to shoot and not enough bodies in the box. Fortune and Robinson playing poorly, why not give Ba or one of the young strikers a chance? Inject some youthful exuberance!

Fortune played well holding the ball up for others.

Sadly Robinson is having a torrid time this season yet he was brought on ahead of Cox???

Ba deserves a chance before Robinson gets another one.

I really don't know one why Robinson still gets on even from the bench he is poor .Also why one earth did he get another year Added to his contract .Yet another waste of money .

Sounds like the usual problems under Brown- poor set pieces, not enough willingness to shoot and not enough bodies in the box. Fortune and Robinson playing poorly, why not give Ba or one of the young strikers a chance? Inject some youthful exuberance!

Fortune played well, make no mistake about that, but he needed support badly. Robinson is struggling a bit but he created one chance at least. It isn't fair to judge up on snatched ten minute appearances.

Fortune played well, make no mistake about that, but he needed support badly. Robinson is struggling a bit but he created one chance at least. It isn't fair to judge up on snatched ten minute appearances.

agreed, Robinson wasn't awful and put in a great cross, and then beat a defender on the line and shot wide of the near post. He made things happen in the short time he was on. He's never going to be a good target man in those conditions. Fortune also had a good game but as you say, lacked support.

And so it starts......

I was one of the 174 last night who made the trip to a place we've all been many times before, midweek, in the rain and in the knowledge we would have a patched up team. Interestingly, I didn't hear any "Brown Out"....

To put things in context, we've an injury list longer than your arm. It means we are woefully undermanned, with players out of position and three teenagers (one of which is, out of position). You can bemoan Brown's transfer policy, but I don't recall any one of you screaming your faces off when these players were brought in. And, in reality, the only old'un is Turner.

But, if you think Coker breaking his leg is Brown's fault. Who am I to tell you you're wrong? If you think Kightly is a bad signing, who am I to point at you and laugh? If you think Ranger having to be in bed at 7pm is Brown's fault. So be it. I don't recall demands that Kiernan not be signed. If you believe our entire defence being injured is down to Brown? Go fill your boots. We remain a small team trying to punch above our weight, and the reality is that top class twenty something players at the prime of their career who some of you think we should be signing, wont be coming here because they are top class twenty something players at the prime of their career and would rather be heading to Charlton or Wigan etc.....

On paper, we have an excellent team who could top this division. Sadly, at the moment, we don't have a team on paper we have a team in the treatment room.

So, to put that into context. Right now, it is an achievement to get eleven players on the pitch, let alone in the right place. Everything that could go wrong, has. BUT......

We went to the team top of the League and gave them a game. Yeah, we could have been 3 down at half time (decent stop by Oxley, intervention of the post), but second half we absolutely dominated and were desperately unlucky not to get something. Lady luck is currently out of town and with her is confidence in front of goal.

We played ok, considering. Elvis was wobbly, McG fairly quiet but Anton was way better (and mobile), Timlin got stuck in and Dimi had a decent game. On another day, that is a draw. I know a lot of you went to Charlton , and I think we were better last night than then.

What we need is to burgle a win from somewhere. Anywhere. Cox to grab a goal (he nearly did last night). Just something to kick start a season.

I really don't know one why Robinson still gets on even from the bench he is poor .Also why one earth did he get another year Added to his contract .Yet another waste of money .
robinson is still a good player, it's hard coming on from the bench, he really needs to start games, maybe not here but out on loan will do him a lot of good, just needs a goal and we will see the best out of him again I'm sure:thumbsup:

And so it starts......

I was one of the 174 last night who made the trip to a place we've all been many times before, midweek, in the rain and in the knowledge we would have a patched up team. Interestingly, I didn't hear any "Brown Out"....

To put things in context, we've an injury list longer than your arm. It means we are woefully undermanned, with players out of position and three teenagers (one of which is, out of position). You can bemoan Brown's transfer policy, but I don't recall any one of you screaming your faces off when these players were brought in. And, in reality, the only old'un is Turner.

But, if you think Coker breaking his leg is Brown's fault. Who am I to tell you you're wrong? If you think Kightly is a bad signing, who am I to point at you and laugh? If you think Ranger having to be in bed at 7pm is Brown's fault. So be it. I don't recall demands that Kiernan not be signed. If you believe our entire defence being injured is down to Brown? Go fill your boots. We remain a small team trying to punch above our weight, and the reality is that top class twenty something players at the prime of their career who some of you think we should be signing, wont be coming here because they are top class twenty something players at the prime of their career and would rather be heading to Charlton or Wigan etc.....

On paper, we have an excellent team who could top this division. Sadly, at the moment, we don't have a team on paper we have a team in the treatment room.

So, to put that into context. Right now, it is an achievement to get eleven players on the pitch, let alone in the right place. Everything that could go wrong, has. BUT......

We went to the team top of the League and gave them a game. Yeah, we could have been 3 down at half time (decent stop by Oxley, intervention of the post), but second half we absolutely dominated and were desperately unlucky not to get something. Lady luck is currently out of town and with her is confidence in front of goal.

We played ok, considering. Elvis was wobbly, McG fairly quiet but Anton was way better (and mobile), Timlin got stuck in and Dimi had a decent game. On another day, that is a draw. I know a lot of you went to Charlton , and I think we were better last night than then.

What we need is to burgle a win from somewhere. Anywhere. Cox to grab a goal (he nearly did last night). Just something to kick start a season.

Yes and no. Of course kightly is a good player but a 3 year deal at 31?

Of course Kiernan can be decent but he was carrying an injury when he signed. Who's fault that we signed a player we can't use?

Turner is 33 years old and we offer a two year deal on very good money to a player that has not played hardly any football in two years. Again who's fault is that?

Have you ever seen so many muscle tears and strains in a team? I haven't. Is it poor training or physio issues or maybe the pitch isn't helping.

Brown is not soley responsible but is largely to blame.

We have an opportunity to sign a player who had the season of his life and has asked to join at a time we are not scoring or creating and Brown has blown the budget on players we can't use. Who's fault is that?

Fwiw I doubt turner will play more than a handful if any games this season. His wages will hamper our squad and our ability to get players in. I ask again. Who's fault is that?

And so it starts......

There's a lot of truth in this post. And so it does begin. People welcomed these signings because they were names people had heard of. Kieran Richardson, if he signs, will be the same.
Brown has tried to increase the quality of players at his disposal. Better quality younger players will always have a better offer on the table, so attracting them isn't easy. As such he's gone more experienced pros, all of whom come with baggage and as such, risk.
Ferdinand, Fortune, Turner - the gamble with them is age.
Kightly, Keirnan - the gamble with them is fitness.
Ranger - the gamble with him is that he's chaos.
He's also looked at a number of other older pros - Richardson, Cole, etc - and decided against.
The one bizarre signing in all this for me is Robinson - he's given an extended contract to a player he clearly has no intention of putting in his first XI.
Not for the first time, our fans are too fickle. We all knew what the manager was doing and why he was doing it, and it's fairly obvious that the strategy had a fair bit of risk. Overwhelmingly all these signings were welcomed, so there's no point trying to hang it on the managers head in hindsight when he CLEARLY can't put out the team he wants to.

Sorry but all this about we're playing well but can't seem to win, I don't care if we win the league and play ***** football. Blame brown as the transfers have backfired. Brown out Martin out Ranger out (****ing criminal) all over rated bring in frank de boer

Yes and no. Of course kightly is a good player but a 3 year deal at 31?

Of course Kiernan can be decent but he was carrying an injury when he signed. Who's fault that we signed a player we can't use?

Turner is 33 years old and we offer a two year deal on very good money to a player that has not played hardly any football in two years. Again who's fault is that?

Have you ever seen so many muscle tears and strains in a team? I haven't. Is it poor training or physio issues or maybe the pitch isn't helping.

Brown is not soley responsible but is largely to blame.

We have an opportunity to sign a player who had the season of his life and has asked to join at a time we are not scoring or creating and Brown has blown the budget on players we can't use. Who's fault is that?

Fwiw I doubt turner will play more than a handful if any games this season. His wages will hamper our squad and our ability to get players in. I ask again. Who's fault is that?

Kightly - We wouldn't have snared him if we hadn't offered a 3 year deal. We needed to offer something to give him more certainty to avoid him signing on a shorter and more lucrative contract with a team higher up the pyramid.

Kiernan - Correct me if I'm wrong, but he must've passed a medical? How do you know he was carrying an injury prior unless you're the player himself or the doctor conducting the medical?

Turner - Again, unless you're a board member, how do you know he's on "very good money"?

Josh Wright - Had his most productive season last year but bagged a decent percentage of his goals from the spot, didn't do much at the other clubs he's been at and didn't upset too many Gills fans on his departure.

Only part of your post I agree with is question-marks over strength and conditioning and the state of the pitch. Much of the rest is conjecture presented as facts.

I still think the squad is stronger than last year and we did ok then. I don't believe its lack of quality, good players don't get bad overnight. Losing is a habit & is hard to break but we will break it. Two tight away defeats against teams at the top end is not a disaster. Also we've mainly been without three of our best players in Wordy, Coker & Ranger so far, one of which is more or less back, another hopefully soon. I'll admit last year after 10 games I was even hovering over the 'PB out' button myself, but was proved wrong. And this year I think the same will happen. I think we'll be fine.

Regarding the crocks, does anyone have any knowledge on their individual situations? I.e. who can we realistically expect back within say 4 weeks?

Am just asking, because have yet to see it, whether the two home draws might have turned into wins with a better pitch?
If there's a real piece of farce, it's not so much who was signed and who was not, it's the surface. When Kightly, Turner, Hendrie and Kiernan were signed, the overwhelming reaction was positive.
But the pitch? That's just plain incompetence. At what stage did the groundsman go upstairs and say: 'things are going wrong' ? Or did he hope to get away with a sub-standard surface? The best Echo story, Chris P, would be a blow-by-blow account of how the turf ended up like that.

Am just asking, because have yet to see it, whether the two home draws might have turned into wins with a better pitch?
If there's a real piece of farce, it's not so much who was signed and who was not, it's the surface. When Kightly, Turner, Hendrie and Kiernan were signed, the overwhelming reaction was positive.
But the pitch? That's just plain incompetence. At what stage did the groundsman go upstairs and say: 'things are going wrong' ? Or did he hope to get away with a sub-standard surface? The best Echo story, Chris P, would be a blow-by-blow account of how the turf ended up like that.
and the pitch is the same for both clubs that play on it at that time, can't blame for dropped points because of our pitch, away teams could say............that given a better pitch they could of walked away with all three points:omg:

And so it starts......

Post of the season so far for me.......

Can't remember a worst injury list in all my time of supporting the club.Our major problem is not having a creative midfield option,which is seriously affecting our front line.Until Wordsworth or another option is playing we will struggle to put a run together.As for Robinson I would be looking at every old Lincoln match to see why we are not getting the best out of him.

Can't remember a worst injury list in all my time of supporting the club.Our major problem is not having a creative midfield option,which is seriously affecting our front line.Until Wordsworth or another option is playing we will struggle to put a run together.As for Robinson I would be looking at every old Lincoln match to see why we are not getting the best out of him.

Maybe the leap from Conference to league is bigger than people say

UTS

GK - Oxley

RB - White
CB - Ferdinand
CB - Turner/Kiernan
LB - Coker

RM - Kightly
CM - Leonard
CM - Wordsworth
LM - McLaughlin

FW - Cox
FW - Ranger

That is a first X1 that could potentially challenge for the title in this division so I do have some sympathy with PB but the bottom line is this injury crisis highlights the poor strength-in-depth of the squad. The signing of Josh Wright (IF it happens) and the return of Woody will help but while most of our defence is injured we will continue to leak goals and struggle.

Back