• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

It won't matter any more , if they break the boundaries up and with out proportional representation..this is the future.

The whole way of voting needs a re-think...there is not just a two party way out there any more...the system should change to reflect that.

Early days yet but Chuka Umunna is the favourite at the moment, from what I know about him he is more of a Blairite than Milliband was, so if Labour want to revert back to 'New Labour' policies he'd probably be the guy to go for, it might lose some of the left wing vote to the Greens (or possibly even the Lib Dems, if the Tories start making policies people don't like I can see the Lib Dems being painted as the unsung hero of the last 5 years by the time the next election comes), but I think Labour have learned they can't win an election just with left wing votes.

Chuka's also written a piece in The Guardian saying what Labour did wrong and it definitely gives the impression he'd make a lot of changes to how it's run.

http://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ng-power-is-to-recognise-the-mistakes-we-made

Andy Bunham seems favorite at the moment. Two-faced, slimey, inability to admit to past mistakes, ticks all the boxes really.

The suggested chaps and chappesses so far appear to be:

Andy Burnham; Chuka Umunna; Yvette Cooper; Dan Jarvis; Tristram Hunt; Liz Kendall; Rachel Reeves; Stella Creasy & David Lammy.

As Labour now has 232 MPs, this means prospective candidates must get at least 34 signatures. That means the maximum size of any field is six contenders, so obviously that can't won't all be at the races, although they could stand for deputy leader.

Although some of the boys in that list could be seen as favourites, I would not be surprised if the eventual winner is female.

Unsure of who would be best, not a fan of bigging up the leader as , for me, its the party and their collective policies which matter.
So I suppose the best option would be the one that puts the policies over without allowing his personality, or lack of, image or sandwich eating abilities to provide the media opportunity to dengrate him rather than focus on the main issues

Andy Burnham; Chuka Umunna; Yvette Cooper; Dan Jarvis; Tristram Hunt; Liz Kendall; Rachel Reeves; Stella Creasy & David Lammy.

As Labour now has 232 MPs, this means prospective candidates must get at least 34 signatures. That means the maximum size of any field is six contenders, so obviously that can't won't all be at the races, although they could stand for deputy leader.

Although some of the boys in that list could be seen as favourites, I would not be surprised if the eventual winner is female.

Too early for Dan Jarvis but one to look out for in the future. Listening to LBC the other day and Stanley Johnson mentioned that he was the one the Tories feared the most as a future leader of Labour.

Too early for Dan Jarvis but one to look out for in the future. Listening to LBC the other day and Stanley Johnson mentioned that he was the one the Tories feared the most as a future leader of Labour.

According to the BBC:

Former army officer Dan Jarvis was elected MP for Barnsley Central in a by-election in 2011, having resigned his commission as a major in the Parachute Regiment to contest the seat. He held onto his seat at the general election, taking time out from campaigning to run the London Marathon last month.

After entering Parliament in 2010, he quickly became a shadow culture, media and sport minister and later a shadow justice minister. In 2011, Mr Jarvis became the first serving politician in more than 60 years to be awarded a military honour, when he was made an MBE for his services to the armed forces.

His background might give him some appeal to wavering Tory voters in the future - but he might decide he needs more front-bench experience before vying for the top job.

See I don't get that, surly it is the policies that should be feared rather than the personalties.

See I don't get that, surly it is the policies that should be feared rather than the personalties.

Yeah, every time mate, every time. The nation doesn't give a monkies whether they are photogenic, charismatic, etc. Policies only count in an election. The amount of manifesto reading that the 60+% of the electorate did before last Thursday must have been staggering.

Yeah, every time mate, every time. The nation doesn't give a monkies whether they are photogenic, charismatic, etc. Policies only count in an election. The amount of manifesto reading that the 60+% of the electorate did before last Thursday must have been staggering.

If you have the policies then a good leader will make sure everyone knows about them.

If you have the policies then a good leader will make sure everyone knows about them.

Gosh, you have just cruised in to a very subjective area. So many in this country vote for the candidate that says the one, possibly two things the voter wants to hear. Of course a good leader will put across policies for all to hear, that doesn't mean everyone is listening. Nicola Sturgeon got mass media coverage by her performance in front of the cameras, believability, personality, ability to defend an argument well, the policies were secondary.

Look like strong contenders for the deputy leadership, including Angela Eagle,Caroline Flint and Tom Watson.

With Dan Jarvis ruling himself out I would suggest the fight would be a three way affair with Burnham, Umunna and Cooper going for the top job. The dark lord himself seemed to be comfortable sitting on Marr's couch yesterday with Umunna but he is still under 40 so I think he will be seen as just too young.
I don't think Andy Burnham would be popular with the voters and surely to god the labour party aren't going to elect someone called Tristam to be leader? Lammy and Creasy for me are destined for top jobs in the shadow cabinet so that leaves Yvette Cooper.
She would be popular and a good choice - Dan Jarvis would have been a rereshing change as well but even more refreshing to hear that he is putting his family first and won't be running.
I was going to run a LibDem leader thread but then thought, Who gives a F***?

Back