• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Films you've watched recently.

Child 44, I have read the book and enjoyed most of this film; which must have been hard to abridge into under 3 hours.
However if I hadn't read the book I would have struggled to follow what was happening.
The depiction of life & survival under Stalin conveys the pervading fear and repression.

I didm't like it and I love War films
Saving Private Ryan was believeable and the battle scenes were realistic- Fury wasn't - the final battle scene was just dumb . pure hollywood and beyond belief.

Have you seen Hacksaw Ridge? If not and if you like war films that is up there with the best. Should've won best film at the oscars!

Have you seen Hacksaw Ridge? If not and if you like war films that is up there with the best. Should've won best film at the oscars!

Moonlight, Manchester By The Sea, Arrival and Hidden Figures are all better films than Hacksaw Ridge IMO.

Hidden Figures is great, highly recommended.

Moonlight has stayed with me and I can't say that about many films. I feel I need to see it again to re-assess my luke-warm response (I was a bit tired).

Saw El Olivo, (The Olive Tree), again last night.Little gem of a Spanish film directed by Iciar Bollain and scripted by Paul Laverty (her husband and Ken Loach's habitual collaborater).Was up for a couple of Goyas (Spanish Oscars) but didn't win anything.

Well worth seeing if you get the chance.

The Revenant (2015) - A good performance from Leonardo - enjoyed this film quite a lot!

Logan. I'm not really a fan of the X-Men movies (Deadpool aside), I've probably seen less than half of them and wasn't impressed by the ones I did see but the trailer for this got me interested - the Johnny Cash probably helped. This is a superhero/comicbook film apart, it felt incredibly grounded in real life, and was surprisingly emotional (thanks to a brilliant performance by Patrick Stewart), and benefitted from the 15 certificate which helped to add realism rather than being bloody & sweary for the sake of it. Also a surprise to see Stephen Merchant in it! Excellent. 8.5/10

Logan very violent but a good watch. Watched it at the posh cinema in Chelmsford. Just like being at home ,sprawled out on a settee with a pint and a burger.

Logan very violent but a good watch. Watched it at the posh cinema in Chelmsford. Just like being at home ,sprawled out on a settee with a pint and a burger.

Didn't know Chelmsford had one of those cinemas, just looked it up - might have to go see GotG2 there.

Edge of Seventeen - smart and funny coming of age drama, starring a very sarcastic Woody Harrelson. 8/10

Saw trainspotting 2 at the everyman, was very comfortable but not sure it's worth paying over double the price of the odeon for

Drastic™;1943863 said:
Logan. I'm not really a fan of the X-Men movies (Deadpool aside), I've probably seen less than half of them and wasn't impressed by the ones I did see but the trailer for this got me interested - the Johnny Cash probably helped. This is a superhero/comicbook film apart, it felt incredibly grounded in real life, and was surprisingly emotional (thanks to a brilliant performance by Patrick Stewart), and benefitted from the 15 certificate which helped to add realism rather than being bloody & sweary for the sake of it. Also a surprise to see Stephen Merchant in it! Excellent. 8.5/10

Watched this yesterday. Like you say, not a typical superhero film and a great goodbye to Jackman's wolverine and Stewart's professor X (although I believe Stewart has said he'd bring him out one last time for a deadpool film). Enjoyable film and a bit emotional, which surprised me. Worth a watch

Back