• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

2017 General Election thread

can you explain to me why it was stated in Parliament that borrowing is up every year, and no one questioned the authenticity of that statement?

It wasn't, it was stated that DEBT was up every year.

Now, back to my original question. Can you explain to me where you see Borrowing on the rise from the chart I provided?

The Echo is reporting this morning that two independents are intending to stand against Duddridge and Amess. They are Ron Woodley and Tino Callaghan. Woodley I know about, Callaghan is a new one to me. I've always voted Labour in GEs but this time I'm really struggling to decide on my voting colours. Maybe I will listen carefully to what these two indies have to say before I vote. It would certainly be a shock to the Borough if the two Lords of the Manor lost their seats, however unlikely that may seem.

Ron Woodley for me. A local man who works hard for local issues. He has help thousands of the residents of Thorpe Bay by releasing them from the covenant that was being abused by its new owners. He has helped my own local based business and is a Shrimper. He supports the stadium move so should definitely be considered by any Southend fans.

Can you explain to me where borrowing is showing an increase on the ONS chart I provided to you please?

I think you're mis-reading the graph. The figures in the graph are not total borrowing figures. They're net borrowing figures. Because these are net figures, everything that is a positive (even if it is less than the previous year) is an increase in total borrowing. We may be borrowing less per year, but the overall borrowing figure is increasing. According to that graph, the only time there was a decrease in borrowing was under Blair.

I think you're mis-reading the graph. The figures in the graph are not total borrowing figures. They're net borrowing figures. Because these are net figures, everything that is a positive (even if it is less than the previous year) is an increase in borrowing. We may be borrowing less per year, but the overall borrowing figure is increasing. According to that graph, the only time there was a decrease in borrowing was under Blair.

No, I think you are also talking about debt. This graph shows borrowing.

Don't make me laugh. It was a Momentum shoe in. It had nothing to do with his personality at all. The main reason incumbent PMs are always reluctant to debate is because for them there is no upside, only a downside.
Laughing releases endorphins which are good for your general wellbeing - you should be grateful.

I think you may be a bit too eager to believe what is fed to you by the right wing press. Momentum had no power base to call upon when Ed Milliband stepped down. And one of the main reasons is because they didn't exist. Momentum was formed AFTER Corbyn became leader.

If Momentum are so powerful how come Watson got the deputy job? How come Khan got the Mayor candidacy? Where were Momentum's candidates?

I voted Corbyn, Watson, Khan and I based that on the things they said in the leadership elections. I have never been contacted by Momentum.

I'm sure Theresa May is grateful for your support but the notion that it is acceptable that the current PM avoids scrutiny is a weak argument. Yes I fully understand why she wouldn't want to have to justify her policies but that isn't in the best interests of the voting public.

You mention big tax avoiders and then you mention the Labour Party - that was one of Corbyn's pledges yesterday - to actually crack down on big tax avoiders and to make sure that any company bidding for government contracts is not using tax havens. So it seems we can agree that is a worthy thing to tackle as well as agreeing that pay freezes for nurses should be stopped.

Rapists - long sentence and if they are deemed rehabilitated then release with a tracker so that any temptation for repeat offence will put them at the scene of the crime. That should deter foreign rapists.

We have borders. It was one Theresa May who relaxed them as a cost saving measure

Just like any politician he can pledge all he likes but his policies so far don't back up the talk. Free school dinners....Tax other children......More pay for careers..... tax hard working people who have had the cheek to buy their own house. Yet no mention of the inheritance tax loopholes used by the real wealthy, trust funds etc. Or better still the extremely wealthy by that I mean people in the top 1% who legally don't have to pay inheritance tax because they own estates or farms.

So your happy to let in foreign rapists as long as they are tracked. So providing the tracking system works and we have the money and the resources to watch these people women will be pleased to know the culprits will be caught......After they have been raped of course.

Last edited:
Got it, but what does that say about the 2009/2010 figure to you?

I haven't looked that close. But what I have done is produce this based on the same figures. What it shows is both the net figures (as per your graph) along with the cumulative effect of that net borrowing, i.e. what it has done to total borrowing. The graph should make it easier to understand. As you can see, the total borrowing figure is still rising, but at a slower rate. The only time there was a significant fall in total borrowing was under Blair.

Borrowing.JPG

Laughing releases endorphins which are good for your general wellbeing - you should be grateful.

I think you may be a bit too eager to believe what is fed to you by the right wing press. Momentum had no power base to call upon when Ed Milliband stepped down. And one of the main reasons is because they didn't exist. Momentum was formed AFTER Corbyn became leader.

If Momentum are so powerful how come Watson got the deputy job? How come Khan got the Mayor candidacy? Where were Momentum's candidates?

I voted Corbyn, Watson, Khan and I based that on the things they said in the leadership elections. I have never been contacted by Momentum.

I'm sure Theresa May is grateful for your support but the notion that it is acceptable that the current PM avoids scrutiny is a weak argument. Yes I fully understand why she wouldn't want to have to justify her policies but that isn't in the best interests of the voting public.

What right wing press do I read? Corbyn became leader because of a huge influx of extreme left wingers who jumped on a bandwagon and hijacked a party. Whether they called themselves Momentum before or after that is not really important.

What right wing press do I read? Corbyn became leader because of a huge influx of extreme left wingers who jumped on a bandwagon and hijacked a party. Whether they called themselves Momentum before or after that is not really important.
most press is right wing, I don't know which you do or don't read but it all filters through
You need to be honest about it though, the left of the left was tiny organisations with no power, the massive increase in membership is down to people who were disaffected with politics becoming engaged again. He may not appeal to you, and we may well find out on 8th June that he doesn't appeal to the wider public - but the massive increase in membership was due to the fact that he appealed to hundreds of thousands of individuals. Momentum would be proud that they have managed to convince you that they hold that much sway but it really is not the case.

most press is right wing, I don't know which you do or don't read but it all filters through
You need to be honest about it though, the left of the left was tiny organisations with no power, the massive increase in membership is down to people who were disaffected with politics becoming engaged again. He may not appeal to you, and we may well find out on 8th June that he doesn't appeal to the wider public - but the massive increase in membership was due to the fact that he appealed to hundreds of thousands of individuals. Momentum would be proud that they have managed to convince you that they hold that much sway but it really is not the case.

I don't read any press. You need to be honest about it though. Corduroy's win as leader had nothing to do with him at all. He couldn't even get a nomination, and was only nominated so that the party "could have a debate". That debate was then hijacked momentum.

I went to Germany last month.

This is relevant as Gisela Stuart was born there and she is standing down as an MP.

Cheers.

Good to hear she's standing down.I didn't know, as I don't usually read The Times, (except when I'm in France and can't get The Guardian).

I imagine if you're in Germany again in September they'll be holding televised debates for the election there,then.Ask Ozzie.:winking:

I don't read any press. You need to be honest about it though. Corduroy's win as leader had nothing to do with him at all. He couldn't even get a nomination, and was only nominated so that the party "could have a debate". That debate was then hijacked momentum.

Sorry but that makes absolutely no sense at all

He's right you know.:smile:

Back