• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Favourite paintings.

Cricko2

Just to pass a bit of time in this "close season" what are your favourite Paintings .

To start this is one of mine by "Metz"

The exact title of the painting is A Fantastic Architectural View Evoking "Daniel in the Lion's Den".

fantasti.jpg

I have two. One is by Brueghel, The Triumph of Death, I've seen it at the Prado

800px-Thetriumphofdeath.jpg

The other is Manet's Racing at Longchamps

800px-Edouard_Manet_053.jpg

Bathers at Asnieres, by George Seurat:

asnieres.jpg

There's a ma-hoo-sive one in the National Gallery, and I can stand in front of it for hours. The pointillism he uses is quite mesmerising.

The other one I like, for far more sentimental reasons, is Renoir's "Jeune Filles Au Piano" - the girls in it have exactly the same hair colour as my sisters:

paintings_renoir_fills_piano_33_bp.JPG

There's also Monet's Promenade pres d'Argenteuil, which is based in my favourite gallery in the world, the Musee Marmottan, a shrine to Monet. For me, this picture is the high-point of impressionism...

379a.jpg

And finally, for something more brutal and challenging, but totally spellbinding, there's Picasso's Guernica - something which any student of Nazism will know all about...

guernica-init.jpg

For a tranquil scenery ....

3cm129.jpg

Albert Bierstadt, Mount Corcoran, c. 1876-1877,

There's also Monet's Promenade pres d'Argenteuil, which is based in my favourite gallery in the world, the Musee Marmottan, a shrine to Monet. For me, this picture is the high-point of impressionism...

379a.jpg

Lovely Picture Matt ...Monet for me is probally my No1 ..To many " Lillies " pictures that claim all his fame ....

monet-parliament.jpg

Your future home :)

I know what you mean about the Lillies, John. People get a bit overboard about them, when for me it's his other stuff that's fantastic... his pictures of the Cathedral at Rouen at dawn and dusk are completely awesome for instance - the sort of thing you can stand in front of for hours and wonder at the colours and textures...

Full sunlight:

apc.jpg

Dusk:

apc.jpg

I have always adored the work of Turner. Here are a few of my favourites...

bigFirst20Rate20Taking20in20Stores.jpg

"A First-rate taking stores"

shipwreck_turner.jpg

"Shipwreck of the Minotaur"

dido-carthage.jpg

"Dido building Carthage"

and my personal favourite...

turner_fighting_temeraire.jpg

"The Fighting Temeraire"

Back