• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Do we really want to beat Blackpool tonight ?

Do we want to go through tonight ????

• Total voters

CC51DAS

President
Must admit , can't make my mind up about this one - obviously out of loyalty I always wish for a win and of course there is the lure of a big club and another famous scalp , not to mention the payday .

On the other hand , I felt the Man U build up and subsequent euphoria took our minds off the 'bread and butter' last year and ultimately all those cup games, including the FA, took their toll on a small squad .

We of course have a bigger squad this year but will Tilly rotate the players and if so for which matches ?

When D+R knocked us out of the Paint T , I consoled myself on the way home that it might be best if we just focus on the League this year and I will probably feel the same tonight , if the 'worst' happens.

Last edited:
Winning breeds confidence so I want to win all games.

Losing to blackpool wont be the end of the world but I would like the possibility of another premiership club in the next round.

Personally dont think we will win tonight, but would be nice if we did.

Ridiculous poll.

I want to win not to see Southend in a big stadium but to make it 4 wins in a row. The confidence that winning breeds is the biggest prize on offer tonight. I'm sure we've also been through the misguided notion that we got relegated because of the Man U game. Our form in the league before the cup draw was abysmal and improved with the confidence from our cup run.

Last year I'd have agreed coz survival was always gonna be tough and as you say we had a small squad. However this year we're more of a bigger fish in the pond (albeit only in quality of squad not finances).

Its an interesting debate about whether we should give the fringe players a run out. Blackpool are obviously a good side so I reckon we should keep as close as the same team as possible and hope we get through. Promotion is obviously the most important thing this season but I'm sure Matty Harrold bagging a hattrick tonight could only benefit the team in the league? :hilarious:

The only problem with Arsenal is they only play reserves so make it a non-event.

Would be nice to go the Emirates to see Southend though.

Ah, but they maybe wary after last season's triumphant toppling of the Manure boys and play the first team.....

Ridiculous poll.

I want to win not to see Southend in a big stadium but to make it 4 wins in a row. The confidence that winning breeds is the biggest prize on offer tonight. I'm sure we've also been through the misguided notion that we got relegated because of the Man U game. Our form in the league before the cup draw was abysmal and improved with the confidence from our cup run.

Maybe I am just preparing myself for the worst and trying to see the positive that could come from an exit . I think we are going to have our work cut out tonight - they said on the radio before the Col Ewe game on Saturday that Blackpool have only lost once in the last six months .

BTW , I haven't voted yet , wanted to get a bit of guidance from other Zoners to help me make up my mind

The only problem with Arsenal is they only play reserves so make it a non-event.

Would be nice to go the Emirates to see Southend though.

Didn't their reserves put 6 past Liverpool at Anfield last year in this competition ?

Maybe I am just preparing myself for the worst and trying to see the positive that could come from an exit .

Thats the beauty of it, if we win its a confidence booster, if we lose then we were away and they are in the division above so its nothing to be ashamed of.

No lose situation really.

Last edited:
Didn't their reserves put 6 past Liverpool at Anfield last year in this competition ?

Certainly did and they would beat us as well.

Id still rather get someone smaller who played their first team than a bunch of players Ive barely heard of (and my other team is Arsenal!).

However the stadium on its own would be a nice bonus.

Thats the beauty of it, if we win its a confidence booster, if we lose then we were away and they are in the division above so its nothing to be ashamed of.

No lose situation really.

True - also I've just remembered that, if its the same as last year, there is a place in Europe on offer if we get to the final stages.

Whilst I take your point CC51DAS as that's how I have felt at certain times whilst watching Southend, I feel another win tonight would be great, as said winning breeds confidence and if we can go to Blackpool, who are a very decent side by the way, and win then surely that would do the players, management and indeed us fans the world of good!

Last edited:
Dont forget, this game is an tester if our new squad is better than last year one, to see if they can complete in Championship next season if we go up at end of season or at Wembley!

Dont forget, this game is an tester if our new squad is better than last year one, to see if they can complete in Championship next season if we go up at end of season or at Wembley!

Good point MM . This match is rapidly becoming one of enormous significance . Surprised its not on SKY

Yep... my thoughts too, Blackpool will view their season in the Championship much the same as we did, give it a go and hope for the best... if we can win tonight it would indicate we are better than last season, and so would feasibly be better equipped to cope should we win promotion again

Back