• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Our 3rd best season at this level

Reg Martin

No Relation
Anyone still underestimating what a great job Tilly and Brush have done this season might want to consider the following stats:
Its 50 years since the old 3rd north and south was reorganised into 3rd and 4th divisions and this season is now going to be our 3rd best placing in 3rd tier since then.
The only other 2 better finishes were the 2 promotion campaigns.
Apart from 7th placing in 1982 and a couple of 8ths in late 50s/early 60s (when it was only 2 up and no play-offs) we've never come close to challenging for promotion at this level in any other season.

Win our last 2 games and we will finish just a point off what we got 2 years ago in winning the League. As I have said on here before has been Tilson's best season as a manager. There has been no Freddy Eastwood this time to score 30 goals. Its really been a team efort this season and a fantastic job done by Tilly and Brush.

Win our last 2 games and we will finish just a point off what we got 2 years ago in winning the League. As I have said on here before has been Tilson's best season as a manager. There has been no Freddy Eastwood this time to score 30 goals. Its really been a team efort this season and a fantastic job done by Tilly and Brush.

I think you could be right CSB and it might well be Tilson's best, but let's face it, he's only had one "bad" one - the one in Europe's 5th biggest League where we only just failed to survive. For me, take the Ricketts rickett out of the equation (and we were all guilty of believing in that particular non-starter) and we might well have hung on and who's to say where we'd be right now?

It's what makes it all the more ridiculous that so many have called for him to go. In saying 'so many' of course, I mean more than one because one you can write off as a random lunatic!

Not only is Tilson now operating without 'lucky find' Eastwood, but he's also lifted the team following a post-relegation slump, and demonstrated a firm hand in cutting bigger players like Kevin Maher, Leon Clark and others from the club when their individual talents haven't benefitted the team. He's stood up to his mistakes and moved on his own signings (like Paynter and Foran) when they showed they weren't up to scratch, and the quality he's brought in to replace them has worked wonders.

Tilson will never be about tactical manipulation of the game, but he will always be about sending out a TEAM. Now he's found his best team, we're 13 games unbeaten and heading into the play-offs with a head of steam.

The man's a ****ing LEGEND!

Last edited:
Anyone still underestimating what a great job Tilly and Brush have done this season might want to consider the following stats:
Its 50 years since the old 3rd north and south was reorganised into 3rd and 4th divisions and this season is now going to be our 3rd best placing in 3rd tier since then.
The only other 2 better finishes were the 2 promotion campaigns.
Apart from 7th placing in 1982 and a couple of 8ths in late 50s/early 60s (when it was only 2 up and no play-offs) we've never come close to challenging for promotion at this level in any other season.

Great find those stats! This season has been a great one, it's especially hard to bounce back after relegation, so well done to Tilly :clap:

I think you could be right CSB and it might well be Tilson's best, but let's face it, he's only had one "bad" one - the one in Europe's 5th biggest League where we only just failed to survive. For me, take the Ricketts rickett out of the equation (and we were all guilty of believing in that particular non-starter) and we might well have hung on and who's to say where we'd be right now?

It's what makes it all the more ridiculous that so many have called for him to go. In saying 'so many' of course, I mean more than one because one you can write off as a random lunatic!

Not only is Tilson now operating without 'lucky find' Eastwood, but he's also lifted the team following a post-relegation slump, and demonstrated a firm hand in cutting bigger players like Kevin Maher, Leon Clark and others from the club when their individual talents haven't benefitted the team. He's stood up to his mistakes and moved on his own signings (like Paynter and Foran) when they showed they weren't up to scratch, and the quality he's brought in to replace them has worked wonders.

Tilson will never be about tactical manipulation of the game, but he will always be about sending out a TEAM. Now he's found his best team, we're 13 games unbeaten and heading into the play-offs with a head of steam.

The man's a ****ing LEGEND!

the outstanding managers in League One are Tilson and Martinez - and Tilson has proved he can do it more than once - outstanding season from Essex's most gifted ....

Amidst all the doom and gloom following friday, thought it would be worth reminding ourselves of this.

I dont know how many people can complain about this season, 5/6 years ago we were almost in the conference. what tilly has done has been outstanding. i think the loss of eastwood is the best thing that could of happened to us. we can start working as a team and not hope for some wonder goals, it will give other players to steal the spotlight. next season we'll be much better.

i think what makes this season even more remarkable is the fact that around xmas time is was all doom and gloom and our season going nowhere. We then go on an amazing run and to make the play offs was a superb effort and superb end to the season. gutted we're not at wembley but at xmas my only thoughts of wembley were jumping on a concord rangers vase run.

I had a strange moment of realisation last Saturday when speaking to one of my (seemingly few) friends who regularly watches football from the stands. I realised that I've come to expect some sort of late season drama since Tilson has been in charge and I've forgotten that most teams in the league are neither involved in the playoffs or last day relegation battles. Most teams just finish the season playing a match with nothing to play for.

I also found that I've started to expect promotions in the medium term in spite of the fact that only a handful of teams in the league this season can hope to get promoted in the next five years.

As fans and measuring on drama, we really have been spoilt in the last 5 years even if there have been lows as well as highs.

I had a strange moment of realisation last Saturday when speaking to one of my (seemingly few) friends who regularly watches football from the stands. I realised that I've come to expect some sort of late season drama since Tilson has been in charge and I've forgotten that most teams in the league are neither involved in the playoffs or last day relegation battles. Most teams just finish the season playing a match with nothing to play for.

I also found that I've started to expect promotions in the medium term in spite of the fact that only a handful of teams in the league this season can hope to get promoted in the next five years.

As fans and measuring on drama, we really have been spoilt in the last 5 years even if there have been lows as well as highs.

Indeed, we always get late season drama since Tilly took charge. Be nice next season if we can get a good start to teh campaign over the first half dozen games, because he's never managed that. Get that, and we can build for a good season - otherwise, like this season we are playing catch-up.

Back