• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFC Players and Remembrance

Steve N

On this Remembrance weekend I thought you may be interested in learning of the part played by SUFC players who were killed in the Great War. With both playing and former members of the team SUFC was one of the hardest teams hit I have come across. The file was to large to upload so I have put in a link here for those who would like to read their stories

http://www.wickford-war-memorial.com/Southend_ROH.htm

Be great to see them commemorated at the new stadium somewhere. I see the dreaded O's have quite a good section on their site about their players who were lost so hopefully this restores a litle babalnce!!

Equally if anyone has any further details of them be really interested to hear from you.

Cheers
Steve

Excellent job, I have just printed it off. I'm going to Belgium over New Year and may well spend a day at the battlefields. I shall take this with me and have a look out for these guys.

On this Remembrance weekend I thought you may be interested in learning of the part played by SUFC players who were killed in the Great War. With both playing and former members of the team SUFC was one of the hardest teams hit I have come across. The file was to large to upload so I have put in a link here for those who would like to read their stories

http://www.wickford-war-memorial.com/Southend_ROH.htm

Be great to see them commemorated at the new stadium somewhere. I see the dreaded O's have quite a good section on their site about their players who were lost so hopefully this restores a litle babalnce!!

Equally if anyone has any further details of them be really interested to hear from you.

Steve

Well done steve,great reading ,puts things into perspective this time of year,we will remember them.

Front page link to this thread now up and also giving the thread a blatant but deserved bump!

Just finished reading it. Very interesting, great effort in putting it all together

Their is a book being written, by a charlton lad, who i bumped into this year at their derby game Vs palace, he is writing a book about the teams who have had lost players for the ultimate sacrifice to their country.. I have his card somewhere.

Steve excellent read really impressed, as I'm reseraching the Kursaal period this was of particular interest to me.

I was interested to see Arthur Wileman mentioned, I know of his brother Henage Wileman and that he committed sucide in Nottingham after falling on bad times after his playing career had finished. in the Mid twenties. If I find anything more I'll let you.

Thanks again

DoDtS

Just as an aside to this, I'm lead to believe that my husband's uncle who moved down here to marry during WW2, played for the Blues while many of the first teamers were away on service. He'd previously been on the books at Rangers and was in a reservist occupation.

In WW2 a lot of that happened, with many teams fielding players who before the war played for other clubs, as they were stationed near them or working near other clubs in resevist occupations, such as your uncle's hubby.

My Dad was orphaned before the war and had been shipped out to Canada by the orphange to work on the farms out there, but when war broke out he joined the Royal Regiment of Canada and volunteered for active service to get back to Endgland. Whilst he was stationed in Sussex, he turned out for Brighton.

WW1 Players

Thank you all for the kind comments and I'm really glad it is of interest.

The article was written purely for personal interest and nevr for any kind of reward so please feel free to add it to the pages of the site or to others who may have an interest.

Kind regards
Steve

In WW2 a lot of that happened, with many teams fielding players who before the war played for other clubs, as they were stationed near them or working near other clubs in resevist occupations, such as your uncle's hubby.

My Dad was orphaned before the war and had been shipped out to Canada by the orphange to work on the farms out there, but when war broke out he joined the Royal Regiment of Canada and volunteered for active service to get back to Endgland. Whilst he was stationed in Sussex, he turned out for Brighton.

Just as well I know what you mean there! ;)

I have read this with interest and I have forwarded this on to my dad, who will love this work. He is a ticket holder and is also a member of the Western Front Association. He regularly goes to the Somme and has been know to spend days searching each name and grave at the many memorials and cemetaries for people he has been researching. I am sure that he will be fascinated by these stories of the brave men who are such an important part of our history, and I suspect that he will make a point of finding the places where these men fell and paying his respects now he knows about them. It makes it all the more poignant that these men were local and played for Southend as well.

Fantastic work and very moving.

Back