• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Orenuja

fredheim_holm

Where art thou Tes
Is he the next big thing from the youth academy?

For me, I've never heard anything about him until he made the bench today, I guess he probably didn't touch the ball, but does anyone know anything about him?

Only thing i know is he's the youngest player in the clubs history.

Well, if you're good enough you're old enough, think he's a right winger aswell.

Is he the next big thing from the youth academy?

For me, I've never heard anything about him until he made the bench today, I guess he probably didn't touch the ball, but does anyone know anything about him?

In answer to the first question: possibly. Femi has be playing for the Under-16s this season, and they've had a very good start to the campaign. In fact, with the likes of Julian Okai, Jamie Stevens and Michael McGew already making their debuts for the Under-18s, the batch of next year's first-year scholars is already starting to take shape!

Femi was on the bench for the Under-18s in their Youth Alliance League fixture against Aldershot Town (which we won 6-2), but it was Okai who came on with 20 minutes left. He's still to make his debut for either the Under-18s or the Reserves.

However, earlier this season, he went up to Manchester United for what was initially only going to be a couple of days, although he subsequently spent a week with the Red Devils. This is yet more evidence of Ricky Duncan encouraging his youngsters to taste what it is like at a big club if possible. By all accounts, United were pleased with what they saw, but with Femi making his first-team bow today, it will be apparent to the youngster that he will be much closer to competitive action here.

In answer to the first question: possibly. Femi has be playing for the Under-16s this season, and they've had a very good start to the campaign. In fact, with the likes of Julian Okai, Jamie Stevens and Michael McGew already making their debuts for the Under-18s, the batch of next year's first-year scholars is already starting to take shape!

Femi was on the bench for the Under-18s in their Youth Alliance League fixture against Aldershot Town (which we won 6-2), but it was Okai who came on with 20 minutes left. He's still to make his debut for either the Under-18s or the Reserves.

However, earlier this season, he went up to Manchester United for what was initially only going to be a couple of days, although he subsequently spent a week with the Red Devils. This is yet more evidence of Ricky Duncan encouraging his youngsters to taste what it is like at a big club if possible. By all accounts, United were pleased with what they saw, but with Femi making his first-team bow today, it will be apparent to the youngster that he will be much closer to competitive action here.

Cheers Rob. I'd never heard of him personally either until I heard his name on BBC Essex just before 2pm today. Is he THAT good that he's being fast tracked ahead of countless Under 18's? As I'd heard all about Okai but Femi seems to have come from nowhere on to the radar.

On the subject of young players, I thought Johnny Herd was superb today. I have the feeling he could become another Kightly, not in us letting him go, but in him going on to good things.

Couldn't see the point of bringing him om with 2 seconds to go.

1. Breaks the record for our youngest ever player, and great for his confidence.

2. Gave the crowd a chance to show their appreciation of Junior's super debut - a nice thoughtful touch from Tilly, and exactly what he did for Freddy on his debut.

Cheers ES. Hadn't realised this guy was on a trial at OT too. Ricky Duncan has done really well, fantastic job so far.

Bit pointless in my view to bring him on, not sure who was our previous youngest player but it all makes a mockery of what was presumably a more worthwhile record as there was no way he was ever going to get the ball.

My youngest is aged 9. He is a bit daft but I am sure I could get him to focus for 10 seconds if Tilly wants to bring him on in the last minute next match to stitch up the record well and truely. He will agree as long as there is enough room on Skyplus to record the latest episide of Sponge Bob Square Pants just in case we don't gety back from Leicester in time.:)

Cheers Rob. I'd never heard of him personally either until I heard his name on BBC Essex just before 2pm today. Is he THAT good that he's being fast tracked ahead of countless Under 18's? As I'd heard all about Okai but Femi seems to have come from nowhere on to the radar.

On the subject of young players, I thought Johnny Herd was superb today. I have the feeling he could become another Kightly, not in us letting him go, but in him going on to good things.

a) Today's minute of added time was the first time I'd seen him 'play' as well (if marking the goalkeeper for sixty seconds while the ball is held in the corner counts as playing!). Personally, I think the fact that he got on is a bit of a kick in the teeth for the lads who were handed development contracts this season and have all been sent out on loan at various stages, and also a lot of the Under-18s that have been in good form this term (with the exception of three Cup fixtures).

When I spoke to Ricky Duncan for the F.A. Youth Cup programme, it was just after Femi had spent his period at Manchester United, and it was clear that as a club we rate him highly. He had been doing really well for us in the Under-16s, which is why they had a look - it just goes to show how well Ricky, Luke Hobbs, Mark Bonner and all the staff at the Centre of Excellence have done to get this club into a position where Premier League scouts from the north-west of England are looking at our youngsters. Even if nothing comes of it, what a fantastic experience for the lad.

b) Totally agree about Johnny Herd. Against Telford (in the home leg at least) he looked a little nervous and didn't play as well as I've seen him on countless occasions for the reserves and Under-18s. Today, along with Stanislas in front of him, he looked at home against League oppoisition, albeit from the division below, and what proved that was when he burst into the box from Revell's lay-off and had the confidence to hit a good, low shot with his weaker right foot. Hopefully, he'll get more chances to impress in the first-team now.

Bit pointless in my view to bring him on, not sure who was our previous youngest player but it all makes a mockery of what was presumably a more worthwhile record as there was no way he was ever going to get the ball...

Maybe a little pointless in terms of the result of the match this afternoon, which was already decided, but in the overall picture and for the lad himself, this would've been massive. Getting his debut at 15 shows him how well he is doing, and also how close he is to first-team football here at Roots Hall. It may make the difference between him staying with us to complete a two-year scholarship and deciding to join a bigger team, should they come in with a concrete offer. And, if they did, and he wanted to go, it would be a good bargaining tool for us.

Maybe a little pointless in terms of the result of the match this afternoon, which was already decided, but in the overall picture and for the lad himself, this would've been massive. Getting his debut at 15 shows him how well he is doing, and also how close he is to first-team football here at Roots Hall. It may make the difference between him staying with us to complete a two-year scholarship and deciding to join a bigger team, should they come in with a concrete offer. And, if they did, and he wanted to go, it would be a good bargaining tool for us.

If he did go anywhere are we due a fee?

I don't know? We could do what Palace did and complain about it as they ended up getting £850,000 when John Bostock was snapped up by Tottenham. He had made a few more first team appearances though... Not many though.

I helped present the man of the match today, and I was there when Mick Harford realised our sub was only 15. He went absolutely mental. Got in Tilly's face. Luckily, Sir Steve just ignored him.

I helped present the man of the match today, and I was there when Mick Harford realised our sub was only 15. He went absolutely mental. Got in Tilly's face. Luckily, Sir Steve just ignored him.

I actually saw that... Thought he was having a go at the fourth official didn't realise he was having a go at Tilly. Why?? I can't understand the problem.

Would have liked to see him on for a few minutes. I think that if we crossed the ball in when he came on then we could have seen more of him. Herd was fantastic and I was pleased to see him get full 90 mins. O'Keefe is another one for the future.

Back